Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

I have been to Vindis VWCV in Northampton today to get my water ingress into the tailgate and through the front passenger door recitified.

After several hours they told me they could not see that there was a leak on the front door so I had to tell them and show them exactly where it was coming through, i.e. down the back of the door card. They took the door card off and then could see a trickle of water. They tried to claim that the foam gasket on the back of the inner panel must have been damaged when my speakers got replaced. Even had the service manager looking at it. He then told me "you can even see where they've scratched all of the paintwork behind the door card", not a warranty issue. I then pointed out that they themselves had been in the door since the speakers had been installed. Response to this was, no we only had to rebuild the inner handle. I told them to pull the other one, since it was the outer handle that was broken since it used to pull straight out of the door. I equally explained that I have no evidence to suggest that the damage was on the door previous to them going in to it as (a) it had never leaked before they did the work on the outer handle, and (b) when they were last in the door they never said anything about the "damage". Therefore as far as I was concerned it was their fault, and their techs that had done it. The friendliness of the service manager appeared to change at this point, especially when he handed me the "warranty" free repair paperwork to sign when I got the keys back.

Oh and the best bit! When I booked it in I gave the explicit instruction that I did not want them to wash it as I did not want it scratching. The lady even put a sign in the windscreen. Got the keys back to a washed van! I mean WTF!!!!!!!!!! They'd even managed to do a bloomin awful job of washing it. They'd left all the water on the windows and panels that had then dried in the heat - could barely see out the screen on the way home. Gave the sign back to the service lady saying "fat load of good that did", did I get an apology - did I heck. "Yeah I know i've told management, I put a sign in the window", and a shrug of the shoulders. Lets hope I don't find any scratched paintwork or that'll top off a darn fine day.

We've driven down to first for a few days. Had to bring car and van as we have more family than seats until we get he conversion done. Great excuse to load the t6 with toys though.
Here she is parked up near our accommodation for the night.
IMG_20170814_194240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We here goes, knew we were getting the van so thought why not drive to our holiday destination!

*2746* mile round trip later we are home

Drove from North Lincolnshire to Radda in Chianti, it's about an hour south of Florence, 35km from Siena.

I drove to the channel tunnel on the Thursday set off at 9pm, my crossing was at 3:30am. Made it down & got the crossing.

Was going to drive to Reims on the payagè (A26/E17), made it, did feel good as I thought the van was very comfortable. Stopped at the excellent French services for coffee & croissants. Travelled down past Troyes & finally stopped for a sleep near Dijon.

Had a couple of hours rest (it was very hot) & was off again. Now heading towards Geneva & on towards the Mont Blanc tunnel.

The roads in Northern/Central France were getting a bit boring, things keeping you on your toes were the French drivers, after overtaking you they just pull in front of you. Was waiting for a stone to fly up and chip the screen but I got away with it.

Spirits were soon picked up when you see the Alps, wow, amazing. The sheer size & beauty of them still gives me goosebumps. Little picture postcard towns & villages were beautiful.

Got to Chamonix Friday tea time, my plan was to stop the night here, campsite was about full, I felt ok so decided to go through the tunnel. Got about 1km from the entrance & we were queuing! Been an accident, could see how it's happened you have to discipline yourself not to look at the beauty of the place. I was about 40mins waiting (they soon clear up)!

Got to the booth, €44!!! Don't drop below 50km/h & don't go above 70km/h! Oh & also keep 150m behind the driver in front or we will fine you, Made it!

Now in Italy

Loads of tunnels & crazy Italian drivers, no wonder the make good racers!!! It was like the whacky races, switched on & got stuck in with them

Stopped just short of Ivrea (North of Turin) at a service station & spent Friday night there. Head it pillow, next thing morning!

Saturday morning, here we go. Was on a mission, had the wife to pick up from Pisa airport at 12:10pm. Hit the road again, stopped at the next big services, was a shower, got washed & freshened up, felt good.

Round Turin, past Genoa & down the coast road to Pisa airport. Must have been lucky, parked up at midday (plane landed at 10 past!) Did my hair (not much of it) had a quick spit wash & went to arrivals. Bit emotional when she walked through, my best friend was back with me.

Drove past Florence, then to Radda on the little roads with beautiful views.

That was the journey their, got more stories & pictures during & driving home from the holiday, will put them up soon.

Hope you have enjoyed the read so far.

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

Last edited:
Continued……

Few rides out during the holiday, we were in Italy when the heat wave was on, went to Florence one day, again crazy Italian drivers! Got back to the van & it was 43 degrees on the temp gauge! I think this is what bent the LED interior light that I had fitted! This made it come on when you went over a bump & stayed on until it cooled down in the late evening!!!!

We have been to all the major race circuits in Italy (Monza, Imola & San Marino), I've been wanting to go to Mugello for any years now, so we are off. Got there, pulling up to the security box (red helmet) in the photo & a mad/crazy security guard came running out hands waving & lots of shouting. NO,NO, GO, wouldn't let us in for a look, was going to give him a little bit back, but looked at his belt & saw his hand gun so thought, ok my friend you are right! Some other people turned up &they got the same treatment, think he was having a bad day. That was the bad bit of the holiday :-(

Went to Siena, very nice, parked at the train station, both Siena & Florence was cheap for parking. Fuelled up in Florence, diesel was about £1.09 a litre, you paid by card in a central area & chose/told the machine which pump you were at. Filled her up, went back to the machine for my receipt, got it, but then I had a crazy French man (I think) following me & shouting at me. He thought that he had paid for my €80 of diesel, so had 20 mins of explains how the machine worked & he had not paid for me, we go there in the end!! But it was 43 degrees!

As you can see from another post I had made a bed for the back, fitted the bikes & suitcases under it, did plenty of cycling, 175 miles and climbed a total of about 20,000 feet! Was very hilly.

We set off home on the Friday morning, we were advised to take the Autostade to Bologna, Milan & Turin, as the coast road would be packed as its Italian holiday season. So we did, usual Autogrill service stations, very good food as usual. These were a bit more modern than the older ones on the coast road.

Got travelling to the Alps, was glad to see them again. Beautiful, had been telling Lisa about them all holiday & that the pictures didn't do them justice, she agreed with me (hey I was right, but she said only this time, don't get used to it) ;-))

At the tunnel, usual queue, got to the front same rules again, got through, I couldn't wait to see her face when she saw the splendour & beauty of the glacier on the French side.

Still travelling, it was getting on, about 7pm, Lisa went on the web, we needed a good service station with food she found Le Poulet de Bresse services, famous for their chicken. It was the best chicken we have ever had, if you are passing stop & get some. Selfridges stock the chicken if you are interested at £18 per kilo!

After we had been fed & watered we decided to go a little further, stop at another services for the evening, found one & got our heads down for the night. Got up Saturday morning, the usual, coffee & croissants, enquirer about how much the shower was? As usual it wasn't rip off Britain so it was clean & free (as was the parking for the night).

Got going Saturday morning & was going to get to the tunnel too early,looked on the map & I suggested we go to Epernay (Champagne country)! Lisa thought this was a great idea, as you drive in the road becomes very posh & all the wineries are on this road. Apparently underneath the buildings on the street are a mind boggling 110km of cellars, where more than 200 million bottles of champagne are stored in constant temperature and darkness! Parked up & had a look round, went in Moët & Chandon, was very nice & not stuck up. Couple of little purchases to go with the 35 bottles of red wine we brought back from Chianti! We will be going back for a tour.

Got back on the road again & it felt like a bit of a slog to the tunnel.

Back through with no problems & home.

Things learnt from the trip :

VW Transporters are awesome, lots of them on the road in Europe, the mile munching weapon of choice.
Italian drivers are crazy!
Alps are beautiful, going back.
Epernay, beautiful going back to have a good look.
Chicken at Bresse service is the tastiest ever
Found the sweet spot on the van, 68 mph on the cruise control, averaged 49 mpg for the whole trip (see picture).

Oh, only one warning light for the whole trip..............the tyre pressure wanted resetting when it was 43 degrees in Florence, they were melting I think!

Hope you have enjoyed the read & pictures.

Jason & Lisa (Terry the transporter)

Last edited:
Found the sweet spot on the van, 68 mph on the cruise control, averaged 49 mpg for the whole trip (see picture).

We returned similar MPG results on our shorter runs to and from Cornwall. I had the ACC on 65 so stayed between 60 and 65 mph, very impressive economy I thought on a fully loaded camper

I think there is only one colour id buy a transporter in - Red, it looks simply stunning.

With black wheels etc they just look perfect.

Great roll out of your journey @J8usx and cracking pictures thanks for sharing, I think you may be from my neck of the woods too.

Great read @J8usx thoroughly enjoyed your post. I think your adventure is what owning one of these is all about. Great pics too. Thanks for sharing. Reckon your write up might entice Mrs Scott to join me in an adventure.

This week brought me to Chatsworth House. I turned 44 on Monday and wanted to nip away and have a beer in the awning. Nice site, friendly people and a nice jaunt around Chatsworth House.

Pics of the new vango galli. Thanks everyone for recommending it. Oh and a recommendations for Fat Bob. Mrs Scott bought me one of his rugs. Nice
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG

Great read @J8usx thoroughly enjoyed your post. I think your adventure is what owning one of these is all about. Great pics too. Thanks for sharing. Reckon your write up might entice Mrs Scott to join me in an adventure.

This week brought me to Chatsworth House. I turned 44 on Monday and wanted to nip away and have a beer in the awning. Nice site, friendly people and a nice jaunt around Chatsworth House.

Pics of the new vango galli. Thanks everyone for recommending it. Oh and a recommendations for Fat Bob. Mrs Scott bought me one of his rugs. Nice
View attachment 11742
View attachment 11741

Do it Mrs Scott, it's very enjoyable. You look to have a very nice set up with your van. Like it.

Back