Caddy life vs T6 - help needed!

dilbu

Hi all - I've recently sold a larger campervan (ducato size) and am looking to downsize due to the arrival of a little one. I'm torn betweeNm a caddy and a T6 and am turning to you folks who know a lot more about this than me to offer thoughts if you could be so kind. Obviously this forum is going to be biased towards a T6, but i'm curious what folks think would be the noticeable differences between the two in terms of practical effects for my little family. I also work as a videographer so would be using it to transport gear. Ultimately either has plenty of space (the caddy life is suprisingly spacious). My other half only wants to shop through the approved used program which is fair enough (bad experiences in the past so this seems a little safer, plus we're right next to a dealer) and our budget is around the £30k mark, which is what I have from selling my campervan.

For that, i can essentially get an awesome caddy or a slightly older t6 without as higher spec. Two leading examples below:

- A caddy life that's 6 months old, with lots of bells and whistles (panoramic roof window, auto gearbox, climate control, reversing camera, fancy folding wing mirrors, updated stereo with larger screen and bluetooth carplay). (£28k)

- A transporter (Volkswagen Transporter 2.0TDI 110ps T30 Highline BMT SWB Kombi) - one i've seen has dual powered sliding doors which is nice. 17k miles, 3 years old (21 plate). (£32k)

We live on the coast, so would be using it for weekend day trips to the beach and travelling to trips away and I for travelling to shoots around the country. As stated I had a larger van before and not being able to be as nippy about car parks and cities would get to me, and i found myself having to do recces before going places. I've heard that can even be the case with transporters though with underground car parks - has anyone found this?

I've test driven the caddy which just felt like driving my wife's seat car - nice and comfy. I'm awaiting at test drive for the t6 but it's obviously going to feel much more 'van like'. So it seems to be the differences are really more about 'feel' than anything else; i cant think of anything i couldnt do in one that i could do in the other. Has anyone owned both or does anyone know of some things i might miss between one or the other in my position?

The van has no bulkhead as is a kombi from the factory, but at some point i'd probably carpet line it and add a ceiling with spots; something straight forward but i have heard this helps with value (although i need a break from van conversion for a while after my last one!) And on the note of value, that seems to be a tricky one too; weirdly caddies are holding value better than t6's but t6s could also fair well after the ford merger.

Would really love to hear some takes from kind folks out there - thanks!

I think you need to think mostly about the "non work van" aspects by the sound of it.

A Caddy is going to be a much more car like driving experience, but a T6 isn't really that far off especially with the later models having a much more car like dash. Aftermarket suspension can improve the ride if you're not actually using it lug heavy weights around. A T6 is also going to give you better road view, I never feel as rushed in the Caravelle as I can see more of the road, even if it's a jam it's less frustrating and there is so much space internally it doesn't feel like you're "stuck" in traffic the same way as a car.

An SWB T6/6.1 doesn't actually take up more road space than large MPV and SUV - the Transporter's strength is it (just) fits in expected car profiles. Generally 2.1m car parks are fine, 2.0m ones are risky depending on your ride height. Parking is the same as any large car, can be tricky and you have to be prepared to pick your spot or risk door dings. The thing you'll notice most really is the width, and the large front doors and step up need a bit more space in a carpark than a car.

The crux might be your family and the days out. Nothing wrong with the back of a Kombi but it is what it is, mainly built to get people and supplies to a work site. I think the back seat experience for your family is going to be more car like in a Caddy. Of course if you invest in converting the back slightly more day van style then that will improve.

If both have enough space what are you going to use the extra space in a Kombi for during work or days out? If a Caddy is being enough you're going to get more car handling, car size and car back seat experience than the Kombi. If you want something you might chuck a kitchen pod in or throw in a big tent and a couple of bikes on the tailgate the Kombi is better.

IMO totally different vehicles, you mention that the Caddy is spacious, was that on a test drive? Maybe not so spacious on a rainy day with rest of the family.

Without a roof rack or bars most car parks are fine. Just check.
It might look big and boxy but a SWB Transporter is not much larger many SUVs and 4x4s.
A T6 1990mm high. Most car parks have at least 2.1m clearance.

Yeah once you get over the feeling of there being 40ft of vehicle behind you (as you sit much further forward than a car) it's real no different to driving a car, apart from the higher (better) seating position, and higher lock to lock steering.

My T6 Caravelle SWB is 10cm longer than my previous car, a Skoda Superb estate.

Parking it is no different, if anything it's easier for me as I can park within inches of a wall on the drivers side and just get out the sliding door on the passenger side :rofl:

Reactions: CAB
I didn't discover the Transporter until after I'd retired, but, knowing what I know now, I wish I'd have had one when I had a young family. They're so versatile, practical and capacious.

It's true they don't drive quite like a car, but when your little one arrives, nipping here & there or, indeed, any notion of going anywhere in a hurry/ on the spur of the moment will become a laughable concept to you - you'll be focused on safety and practically and you'll be much happier with your child's head not sitting at the same height as the bumpers of all the SUVs and 4x4s on the road!!!

Also consider the implications of a growing family. A Transporter will lap that up, but even a big car or smaller van will have its carrying capacity tested with 2+ kids and all their gear - especially if one is a baby and the other a toddler (different kit required to be hauled around for each age group).

Back