What Would You Change About Your Camper?

Also have a mat black fabric blind between the front seats and rear, it’s a game changer for overnight stealth camping in cities. It took my girlfriend many hours to make but it’s totally light proof.

I've got the fridge with a drawer above it. This means that I have to get down on my hands and knees to see what's in the fridge. If the drawer was at the bottom it would make life a lot easier.

I'm thinking of changing to a 120 rib bed

The one thing were wondering into the unknown when we first specified our camper conversion was the bed width. However, we are very pleased with the 120 wide RIB. Remember you have sides and furniture so you cant fall out! The perceived width is much better than you think. :thumbsup:

I’d swap it for a MWB 4 motion high roof Crafter:D.

Not much I’d change in my current camper, just did a month long trip to find any faults before our big trip.

I look at putting in a 60ah dc-dc version of the Votronic charger I already have, as the lithium battery I have, would allow for even faster charging over the 30ah version I have.

Having said that in a month of full time travelling the 240 ah lithium battery only got to 50% SOD.

Ah. Thanks.
I'm gonna go lithium when I start going loopy... Oops, wrong forum :whistle:; when my current battery dies as I'm sure it will with the constant charge-discharge from the solar panels.:D

Some great ideas on here... This is probably a better thread than a generic “tell me what I should have fitted in my camper build” thread.

Also have a mat black fabric blind between the front seats and rear, it’s a game changer for overnight stealth camping in cities. It took my girlfriend many hours to make but it’s totally light proof.

@DXX have you got any photos?

We have a cab divider curtain too. Which is a Van-X product installed by our converter. Beware however that unlike their excellent double thickness window curtains, the cab divider is a single thickness and lets through a lot of light and clear images of people moving inside. The Van-X website does state that it is single thickness, but we considered it not to be fit for purpose.

So like @DXX ’s quest for privacy and stealth we had to purchase a second Van-X curtain and sew the two together. It is now sufficient; but why have such an inadequate cab divider curtain when their window curtains are fine?

Last edited:
We currently have the following which I love and found useful,
When the weather allows.

Hilo roof, ace in 40C heat,
Under slung lpg tank with bbq point, all cooking done outside.(feeds BBq, cooker and heater) cheap and easy to use.Heater is a must in the uk)
Pop up tent, to chuck stuff in from the roof box.
Van shades blinds, loose some window view, but I love them.
We have been using the front window blinds(the sucker ones)
These were a pain so have just purchased one that goes on the outside.

Altera DL3 bike rike, easy to use once setup especially when the wife wants something out the back !

We also have a cab carpet, which makes it feel nicer.

Touch lights in the pop top and the tailgate.

Things I wished we had.
Bed with a bigger boot space at the back (we only have around 8-10 inches to put bags on)

The following are being looked into.
Wind out awning or Multi rail (not sure which yet ?(currently use a decathlon fresh tarp)

Mozzie net for the side door, (this is a work in progress)

C502B511-6BE0-419F-8F0E-638B8ACCD0FA.jpeg

7794513A-F870-4CFB-B740-C927F08184A9.jpeg

Last edited:

I was told by the converter cab curtains behind the drivers / passenger seats isn't possible as the roof has the pop top cut out, so there's no where for the rail to fit..?

How have you overcome this problem @DXX

I’ll get a photo when it stops pissing down with rain....about mid Feb.
It doesn’t require a rail.......more later.

I was told by the converter cab curtains behind the drivers / passenger seats isn't possible as the roof has the pop top cut out, so there's no where for the rail to fit..?

How have you overcome this problem @DXX

I have a standard cab curtain from one of the main online suppliers. I initially thought about fixing the rail to front of the pop-top bed base, but didn’t want to ruin that finish by screwing things to it. So I found a length of good old wood that fits across the pop top opening on the same ledge as the bed base, but just in front. This also means I can remove it easily if I don’t need to be stealthy!

Interesting... Thanks both... if possible post some pictures when time allows... :thumbsup:

We plan on making a couple of additions but nothing major and nothing as a result of staying in the van.

* New Wheels: We struggled on the roads the other day (we tried to go over a "hill" on normal tyres) so we are getting winter wheels and also a set of summer wheels for wild camping. More for festival camping as weather seems to always suck at festivals.

* Mozzie nets for both the rear door and the side door: We haven't had any experience in summer camping with our veedub yet but based on experiences with our bongo then it would be nice to be able to open the doors but keep the bugs out.

To be brutally honest, we moved up from a Mazda Bongo to a SWB Transporter so we are really impressed with the size. The only thing of note (bearing in mind that I am only 5ft 2ins) is that our RIB bed is really high. When sitting on the seat, my feet are about 2 - 3 inches from the floor. It doesn't bother me but it might annoy some people.
:)

We have a black out/thermal curtain that runs around the inside of the front of the van held in with poppers. It runs from the B pillar to the A, across the windscreen and back to the opposite B pillar. It only take seconds to put up. When we are away from the van if we don’t want people seeing through to the back we use the same curtain and popper it across behind the front seats ie from B pillar to B pillar. There is of course excess curtain and the distance is shorter but that’s not a problem.

Back