What Would You Change About Your Camper?

Thought I would update on what we ended up doing and what I would do differently now (which isn't much!)

Van and conversion
T32 SWB kombi 150 base van
Windows all round
Skyline roof
Reimo multi rail
Stance+ suspension and H&R ARBs
Pendle remap
Full width rib with 20cm sliding adjustment
150W solar
Diesel heater
Dometic CFX-35 portable fridge
Passenger bench swivel

With base van, I would now go for a T30 kombi to get increased speed limits - I bought just as the conversion rules changed...

The only other change I would make is to get the bed on rails, to be able to maximise the space in the back for putting bikes in.

Thanks to everyone that contributed - Helped with making the decisions!!

I have a Dometic fridge drawer (30L) under my sliding RIB bed. Unfortunately it means the RIB seat is quite high and not suited for tall folks if the pop top is down. I don’t need to carry passengers often so not a huge issue but it bugs me a little. Put the fridge there to maximise cupboard space but it turns out I’ve got more space than I need for solo trips into the mountains.

We have a black out/thermal curtain that runs around the inside of the front of the van held in with poppers. It runs from the B pillar to the A, across the windscreen and back to the opposite B pillar. It only take seconds to put up. When we are away from the van if we don’t want people seeing through to the back we use the same curtain and popper it across behind the front seats ie from B pillar to B pillar. There is of course excess curtain and the distance is shorter but that’s not a problem.

@Markymark How do you fit those poppers onto the pillars, do you need to remove the pillars to fit them or is there a rivet fitting style way of doing it?

When doing the electrical side I would add a three pin socket (from the leisure system) under the hood. This would be to power things outside without having a door or window open...

Some great ideas on here... This is probably a better thread than a generic “tell me what I should have fitted in my camper build” thread.

@DXX have you got any photos?

OK so it took 13 months to get me arse into gear to take some photos and upload. Here‘s my stealth blind, it provides absolute and complete blackout between the cab and the rear. This has allowed us to sleep in many places where overnighting is not exactly encouraged to say the least.
The photos were taken in bright sunlight, at night the blind is more convincing from a view through the cab windows / windscreen.
Fastened to the B pillar trim with HD stud fasteners and at the top with a zip attaching to the fabric access cover to the Reimo roof. Most of the loading is taken on the standard plastic hooks near the top of the B pillars.
Initially the curtain was installed with a horizontal pole sat in the two plastic hooks but this was unnecessary and is no longer used.
It is possible to unzip the top and allow some ventilation from the cab area with the windows lowered slightly within the wind deflectors.
There is a small ‘pocket’ at the lower nearside to allow access to the internal light switch.
All materials were sourced from Ebay; stainless steel stud fastener kit, blackout curtain fabric, fabric webbing and a decorative self adhesive poster for that sun rise wake up experience.
My lady is a bit of a magician with a sewing machine but this one almost tipped here over the edge trying to get the best fit and make it completely light blocking.
B43357A9-7BCA-44DE-82F3-4A7C1FE15000.jpegEEF2F1E8-1239-488A-B12D-45680BEEEB8A.jpegE0A9A57D-61C7-4237-964F-CE951E90DDAD.jpeg92F031C6-F93F-48B7-B344-259A4B26722F.jpeg1BB69F94-E189-46D9-94AA-803C4E4BD774.jpeg794B654E-FAD5-4E84-8F6C-4FC73DB75F80.jpegB43357A9-7BCA-44DE-82F3-4A7C1FE15000.jpeg

Love that muriel ( © Hilda Ogden) ;)
I thought it was a sunset on the north coast of Scotland ...wow the places people go ! .....is it not real ? .....the only thing missing is the 3 flying ducks :laugh:

ps very nice van :thumbsup:

Back