What Would You Change About Your Camper?

goldeneye243

T6 Guru
So, I'm about ready to book in for a conversion, currently got a SWB kombi. Just wondering what people don't find useful about there conversions and would do differently if speccing one now!

Without doubt not pick a Deep Pearl Black base van! Although it is still the best colour! When it's clean..... for like 2 hours after its been fully washed and cleaned.

Having just started spent 3 months in Europe in ours we would change the following:

Mozzie nets
Change the not-so-smart charger for a b2b (done)
Upgrade the solar to 150 watt (done)
Tyres that are more capable off-road
Conveniently accessible outdoor table (Loc8 one ordered)
Replace camping chairs as ours are getting tired (replaced mine with a Helinox, wife wants a recliner!)

Playing fantasy van after a few sherries we would:

Air suspension
Lithium batteries
Leather seats
Refillable lpg gas
A dashboard like the Cali than our Highline one

Things we are talking about doing but not sure:

Add a tow bar and replace VW bike rack with tilting one but really need to see one in the flesh and check height

Not sure whether that helps at all?

You’ll have a great time once it’s all done.

Cheers Mark

drivers swivel seat won't swivel properly might be better on a LWB mines a SWB as well
Propex heater never used it always been on EHU so used small fan heater.
Sink never used it.

I think I'd ditch the ehu as rarely stay at campsites and go solar instead.

I like that Loc8 table. I'd have one of those.

I'd consider not having windows and blinds as I'm mostly stealth camping and go for some kind of 360 camera system.

Interesting posts!

Would anyone go for a different width bed? If so, what?

I'm torn between a rib 130, full width rib or a juice playaway kombi bed...

Interesting posts!

Would anyone go for a different width bed? If so, what?

I'm torn between a rib 130, full width rib or a juice playaway kombi bed...

I'm thinking of changing to a 120 rib bed instead of a 130 in our next conversion this will make the rib bed a 2 seater, from a three and allow us to slide items in from the rear under the bed rather than accessing everything from above, due to the extra seat belt mounting. It also allows a different position for our gas bottle, due to the change in widths of the units, because access is currently behind the fridge. These aren't problems just small inconveniences.

Next time I will definitely go for a 4motion!.

But what I would change now on the conversation I have

- larger Solar panel currently 100w change to 200w

- Larger Leisure battery currently 95Ah

The things I find essential are

-Battery to battery charger
-Eberspacher heater makes winter wild camping very comfortable

I'm thinking of changing to a 120 rib bed instead of a 130 in our next conversion this will make the rib bed a 2 seater, from a three and allow us to slide items in from the rear under the bed rather than accessing everything from above, due to the extra seat belt mounting. It also allows a different position for our gas bottle, due to the change in widths of the units, because access is currently behind the fridge. These aren't problems just small inconveniences.

We had this design
120 rib with 100mm infill down the side
Only on 2 sections of the bed not on feet end if that makes sense Resized_20180930_111843001_6782.jpeg

Of course the thing about our campers is that we all use them differently, so we all have different priorities and needs.

Pete

I like this thread though, theres a lot of decisions to make & a decent conversion is a big financial commitment so any tips on it can be quite helpful. Even if somebody simply confirms what you were thinking rather than changes it.

I’d swap the positions of the gas & water lockers. Our gas is in the traditional rear offside , but being a Gasit refillable, there’s no need for easy access. The water locker is mid way down the units & a right PITA to get to.

Reactions: DXX
I’m pretty content with my SWB camper and I’ve lived in it for months at a time wild camping.
The most important features for me are the Wallas XC Duo and a 52L fixed + 30L portable water tanks. These allow us to have adequate hot water for showers in between finding places to refill tanks.
If I had more space to park at home I may have considered a LWB, that said the more space you have the more crap you carry around.

I’d make the water and electrical inlets hidden (probably behind the flap below the tail lights on a tailgate van).

I’d also put a dedicated cutlery drawer in, as there isn’t one.

I’d put more lighting in, a solar panel, extra cabling for rear speakers, and a reversing camera.

I’d also future proof installations by laying in extra cables and just leaving them dormant for future use.

I’ve recently added solar to my day van for some off grid peace of mind, plus air suspension (VB) for auto levelling and off-road mode for those rugged Lake District car parks (the remote ones where you can stop over).

Apart from that, a heater (I have a Webasto) is a must for year round use. I have a pop-top that doesn’t get used much when stealth camping, and cab curtains (behind the front seats) to maintain the low profile overnight look.

Reactions: P20
Back