What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I realised (whilst dealing with my second puncture in about a month) that my van is too low to get the spare wheel out from underneath :rolleyes:
I've been driving for twelve months with the van lowered wondering if I'll get the spare out if needed.

Finally got round to moving my Webasto controller from the daft place the converter put it to somewhere sensible (where Cali one is).
I can now start it when driving at this time of year to warm the rear of the van for passengers or me without being a contortionist :rolleyes:

From here (left the bracket on to cover the holes in the short term)

View attachment 222841

To here

View attachment 222842
Is there a 'how to' anywhere to get the wire into that contro unit and out of the panel. I am ok with getting the wires across the top of the windscreen to where the mirror is. Thanks

Is there a 'how to' anywhere to get the wire into that contro unit and out of the panel. I am ok with getting the wires across the top of the windscreen to where the mirror is. Thanks
@Gsixty I don’t know of a video but the unit comes down easily enough.

You need a thin plastic trim tool & T20 Torx driver.

Pop the light diffuser off, pop the SOS bit down & the airbag one using the thin trim tool round the edge of the rectangular sections. They are just clipped into place.

Undo the 2 Torx under the airbag light
Undo the 2 Torx in light unit & pop it down there are 2 more Torx underneath it that also need to be removed.

Once these are all undone grab near the back @ the slides of the plastic frame & pull down sharply (it’s just insert clipped at the back & middle. The front just hooks into the headliner.

The blanking plate I mounted to is just clipped in & pushes out of the frame forwards

HTH

Last edited:
@Gsixty I don’t know of a video but the unit comes down easily enough.

You need a thin plastic trim tool & T20 Torx driver.

Pop the light diffuser off, pop the SOS bit down & the airbag one using the thin trim tool round the edge of the rectangular sections. They are just clipped into place.

Undo the 2 Torx under the airbag light
Umdo the 2 Torx in light unit & pop it down there are 2 more Torx underneath it.

Once these are all undone grab the very back of the plastic frame & pull down sharply (it’s just insert clipped at the back & middle. The front just hooks into the headliner.

The blanking plate I mounted to is just clipped in & pushes out of the frame forwards

HTH
Thanks, I might try to have a go at the weekend.

Probably worth a dry run, and to also check that the bolt hasn't seized. Mine was tough going but didn't have to get the angle grinder out fortunately!
When I had to get mine out following the pothole incident I was very grateful for some advice on a SpareSafe thread here to grease the bolts so I'd done both with copper grease. It's certainly worth a dry run in daylight and dry weather outside the house with tools to hand and supplies of tea :thumbsup:

I installed my Fogstar 230Ah LiFePO battery and Renogy DCC50S. I connected the Renogy app via Bluetooth and watched the setup hauling a full 50 amps from the alternator on tickover. Very happy with that.

Now I just need to rewire the electric hook up, all of the lights and USB charge sockets and install a reversing camera.

PXL_20231218_184639010.jpg

Not in the same league as Dellmassive’s amazing installs but today I fitted a temperature control unit to regulate the electric heater in the camper. When I converted the van I fitted an electric plinth heater when on a hookup. When you’ve paid for the hookup might as well use the leccy. I have a diesel heater if no hookup or it’s seriously minus temps. The heater is only 700 w so even on a low power supply I don’t need to turn everything off to use it and it’s plenty to keep the van warm on a cool evening.
Originally I switched the heater on and off with an mcb switch on the Sargent power unit but it is too warm to leave on overnight. To avoid the Rock Paper Scissors with my wife to see who gets up first in the morning to switch the heater on (I always lost) I can now set a lower temp and leave the heater on. Result.
6436165E-F706-4B90-A86D-514EF68482C2.jpeg5FBCC375-4A5B-421E-B3D0-409DCB54CE6B.jpeg

Not in the same league as Dellmassive’s amazing installs but today I fitted a temperature control unit to regulate the electric heater in the camper. When I converted the van I fitted an electric plinth heater when on a hookup. When you’ve paid for the hookup might as well use the leccy. I have a diesel heater if no hookup or it’s seriously minus temps. The heater is only 700 w so even on a low power supply I don’t need to turn everything off to use it and it’s plenty to keep the van warm on a cool evening.
Originally I switched the heater on and off with an mcb switch on the Sargent power unit but it is too warm to leave on overnight. To avoid the Rock Paper Scissors with my wife to see who gets up first in the morning to switch the heater on (I always lost) I can now set a lower temp and leave the heater on. Result.
Good idea, got a link to the one you used?

Hi middle englander, not sure how to post a link, but the controller is a Ketotek KT 8230 temperature controller from Amazon @ £25 ish. There’s a fair choice but have to check the specs to ensure it operates off 230v ac and the relay is rated for the intended load. The 8230 relay is rated up to 30A/250v well above what I needed for my heater.
The unit seems well made, is compact, and the remote temp sensor lead is 2m long so plenty of scope to position it to suit your set up. The only slight negative was the orange sliding catches to secure it in place didn’t open quite far enough for my furniture board but a slight modification as per pic 2 worked fine.8588D5EB-6CA6-4784-888C-D80F75A2DB14.jpegC7558492-769F-4149-93CB-1F842E490262.jpeg

What I haven't managed to do to my van today is get the Cross Climates I ordered from Blackcirles on Monday fitted following my pothole incident.

What I did manage to do after about 4 hours on the phone and visiting various tyre fitters (that were not the one I asked for) is to get the tyres.

So currently the Caravelle is seats flat with tons of protection over them, the front load guard in and 4 new tyres and one buggered tyre and wheel sitting on top.

I'll say one thing, nothing makes you drive like a limo than the thought of that lot sliding across the leather and smashing into the fancy lining panels :unsure:

View attachment 222567
So BigTruckie now has 4 shiny new CC2s on each corner and I'm a lot happier about the coming winter.

My Rant-o-gram to Blackcirles resulted in 10% off the order so in the end it cost about £700 (plus nearly a day of my time driving all over the place and a good chunk of sanity)

Also shout out to my local ATS who not only did the fitting at almost zero notice to get us on the road for the weekend but also offered to re torque up the bolts gratis the morning after as the technician was a little concerned about the amount of cleaning up of the hubs he had to do and how the wheels would settle in.

20231221_154001.JPG

Received my sub wheelarch boxes from @Eclipse Custom Vans, so offered them into position. Will need to remove the Jack mount from the nearside Wheelarch or adapt the box somehow.

They look good anyway and they don’t interfere with the Kombi bench in the third row. Cheers Ian.

View attachment 223143

View attachment 223144
Nice one. Yep you'll need to remove the jack mounting. If you drill spot welds out you can refit the bracket at a later date if needed.

Last edited:
Not exactly the start to the day I was expecting with fresh snow on the hill.

snow socks managed to get me unstuck to survey the damage. Thanks to whoever recommended them on here I carry full chains and bought them for a just in case moment and well I a glad they did as the fee for these sure is cheaper than a tow!

Had my snowboarding hi vis gear on
d307cc86-d7dd-4241-8f48-9f42a7b211bf.jpeg

IMG_3872.jpeg

Not exactly the start to the day I was expecting with fresh snow on the hill.

snow socks managed to get me unstuck to survey the damage. Thanks to whoever recommended them on here I carry full chains and bought them for a just in case moment and well I a glad they did as the fee for these sure is cheaper than a tow!

Had my snowboarding hi vis gear on
View attachment 223293

View attachment 223294
May the Gods of T-Cut shine on you Sam!

Back