What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Installed the latest Van-X top dash cover/lid. Must say that it looks pretty good! However, I did need to fettle it a bit.

The instructions say to remove the 3 centre retaining clips and use the outer 2 to retain the lid along with a couple of screws to the middle. However, the outer edge tangs are still too long and hold the back edge of the lid up leaving a gap at the rear. So…..

1) I replaced all clips
2) Filed the three centre tongues down a little so that they would fit the clips
3) Cut and filed 4 mm off the outer 2 clips so that they fitted the outer clips
4) Located the lid in the clips and added the 2 screws, not too tight but enough to retain the lid (too tight and it distorts).

The end result looks great and is fully functional.

62575AE3-74E4-4934-A1AA-6623ED74B079.jpeg

62115192-EEAB-46BA-B577-EBDC6EB5A34D.jpeg

497DAE3F-5901-43FC-AE33-C2069688BEB9.jpeg

Last edited:
@Dkdaz - Can I ask what wheels and what size they are please. I currently have 18" silver alloys - spunds odd but to me the colour makes them look smaller than they are!

Many vans with 18" black alloys look just fine - your alloys look like a set I've got my eye on..
Hi, they are wolfrace Munich 18’s .

Attempted to fit some ambient lighting into my door cards but wires broke on both looms!

Then tried to fit a genuine top glovebox only to discover it wouldn’t fit.

So I actually achieved nothing for my labours…..
Why wouldn’t the glovebox fit? I was looking for one for mine as I’ve seen others have fitted them no problem.

Why wouldn’t the glovebox fit? I was looking for one for mine as I’ve seen others have fitted them no problem.
The genuine VW one is designed for the comfort dash which has different cut outs to accommodate the opening glovebox lid mechanism. You need to hack the dash to fit or fit a genuine comfort dash. I sent mine back and now have a lot of credit at VeeDub Transporters I'm struggling to use...

The genuine VW one is designed for the comfort dash which has different cut outs to accommodate the opening glovebox lid mechanism. You need to hack the dash to fit or fit a genuine comfort dash. I sent mine back and now have a lot of credit at VeeDub Transporters I'm struggling to use...
Thanks for that, you’ve probably saved me from an unnecessary purchase. I can confirm the comfort centre part around the gearstick is worthwhile though as I’ve already fitted that without problems.

Installed the latest Van-X top dash cover/lid. Must say that it looks pretty good! However, I did need to fettle it a bit.

The instructions say to remove the 3 centre retaining clips and use the outer 2 to retain the lid along with a couple of screws to the middle. However, the outer edge tangs are still too long and hold the back edge of the lid up leaving a gap at the rear. So…..

1) I replaced all clips
2) Filed the three centre tongues down a little so that they would fit the clips
3) Cut and filed 4 mm off the outer 2 clips so that they fitted the outer clips
4) Located the lid in the clips and added the 2 screws, not too tight but enough to retain the lid (too tight and it distorts).

The end result looks great and is fully functional.

View attachment 187865

View attachment 187866

View attachment 187867
I'm finding my dashboard lid rattles and taps away as I drive. Does yours do the same? Cod do with some magnets?

Finally took the plunge and removed the dash and radio wired in rear speakers, left and right work perfect, just need some help when I get chance to get the fader programmed
Not too bad a job just need to be brave with the dash ..
One bit advice always have a TE extractor tool incase…
Oh and dropped on door seals what a difference
Next job upgrade then headlight and fog lamp bulbs
B8CE4A09-A534-41C4-9BDB-EC6F9E45CA21.jpeg4C49F448-C8D1-4F75-976C-936075E9DE0B.jpegA30A08A5-2D63-4BF1-BCE0-1B8F7CD3CD67.jpeg91A6245A-7F05-4FBA-8CF7-921BE66D40C7.jpeg

77F41E76-A52E-46CA-BEB2-43FACAC74C99.jpeg

Back