Webasto Coolant Heater Lockout - Codes

Sky22

I have a 2016 T6 California Ocean with the factory Eberspacher cabin heater and Webasto auxillary coolant heater. The Webasto is only controlled by the main VW control unit and I have no ability to switch it on or off. It only comes on when certain parameters are met. i.e. less than 5 degC cold start and more than ¼ tank of fuel.

I had a break in the fuel line that feeds both of these heaters which is now fixed. So the Eberspacher is fully operational again but the Webasto won’t even try to run when it should i.e. cold starts below 5 deg C.

The Webasto heater was definately running the day before I resolved the fuel line issue. But when I say working, it was attempting to pump fuel and was running the turbine but not heating, the exhaust was only blowing out cold air. So this might have been its 3rd and final attempt to run. I have read that the Wabasto will lock out after 3 failed start attemps.

I managed to get a Carista ODB reader and now get the following codes for the Auxilliary heater module.

Auxiliary heater
Part #: 7E0963273A
Component: STH-T5GP2
Coding: 4101 (hex)
Fault codes:
00056 Blower engine for temperature sensors inside (V210)
00002 Transmission Control Unit
00057 Actuator shut-off valve b-column and floor space, right (V211)
00135 Left Front Wheel Acceleration Sensor (G337)

I think that the fault code descriptions may be wrong, especially the 00002 & 00135 as the Aux heater module can’t have anything to do with the transmission and the left front wheel acceleration sensor. But these codes could be something to do with my Webasto heater lockout issue. The Carista won’t clear these codes, so a dealer visit is looking more likely, unless I can find someone local (South Cheshire) with a VAG-COM which should be able to clear them.

Any ideas on what the codes really mean and advice on how to reset them before I make the dreaded visit to the main dealer.

Main dealer not required for Evo lockout clearing (second paragraph):

A permanent heater lock-out/overheating lock-out can only be cancelled with the Webasto Thermo Test PC Diagnosis.
The heater faults stored in the fault memory must be read out and printed with the Webasto Thermo Test PC Diagnosis.
To delete the heater lock-out without clearing the fault memory, select the menu command Fault memory/Delete heater lock-out.

In exceptional cases, the heater lock-out can be cancelled by disconnecting the power supply of the control unit (e.g. by
removing the fuse F1, 20 A for at least 10 seconds). The fault must be eliminated beforehand. (See Section 5.3). The fuse must be pulled within 10 sec. after switching on the heater.

Always better to prime the fuel lines by hand with these heaters that have a lockout that comes into play so easily.
2 minute job if you have the software and can access the heater's W-bus.

Where in the country are you?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. The only test equipment I have access to is the Carista which seems to be able to read the Aux heater module but not write to it. You can not control these heaters on the California, there is no way you can manually start it (without the VCDS) so I am guessing that I need to wait until it is cold enough to activate a start sequence so that I can try removing the fuse. Do you think this is the case? I am south of Stockport, near New Mills. Cheshire / Derbyshire boarder.

Auxiliary heater
Part #: 7E0963273A
Component: STH-T5GP2
Coding: 4101 (hex)
Fault codes:
00056 Blower engine for temperature sensors inside (V210)
00002 Transmission Control Unit
00057 Actuator shut-off valve b-column and floor space, right (V211)
00135 Left Front Wheel Acceleration Sensor (G337)
Carista seems to have a habit to wrongly associate/interpret fault codes with modules. I believe none of those explanations are actually pointing into Webasto.

However, the codes below are grabbed from a T6 (diesel Webasto aux/cabin heater):
"0056 - No Flame Detected During Initial Start Attempt",
"0002 - No Flame Detected After Repeated Start Attempts", and
"0057 - No fuel at heater" would definitely be relevant codes from Webasto.

For a locked Webasto I would expect to see fault code "02251 - Heater unit locked" (though this was from a Golf). Haven't manage to lock a T6 yet as the above burst of faults didn't yet lock the Webasto).

Using diagnostics tools (e.g. VCDS, OBDeleven) unlocking can be done through adaptations.

Thanks mmi, your answer is exactly what I was hoping for. I was sure the codes were relevent but the explanations not. So looks as though I definately need to find someone with the VCDS. I only have iOS so I don’t think the OBDeleven is an option as it looks as though the advanced features are only available on the Android version.
Can anyone recommend someone that has a VCDS in the South Cheshire / North Derbyshire area? Buying a VCDS at +£225 seems a bit extreme to just clear this fault. Thanks

I am the other side of the country unfortunately. A Webasto dealer shouldn't charge much to clear a lockout, he can prime the fuel line also with the Webasto program. You could try packing ice around the temperature sensor to fool it into starting. ( If you can find where it has been placed first:))

Answers to your codes:

2 No start
After start-up has been
repeated, combustion still
fails to occur

56 Initial starting attempt failed

57 Initial starting attempt failed
– not restarting

135 Heater lock-out permanent
Permanent heater lock-out
has been activated

You can try the reset method but start with the 20A fuse removed to begin with then replace the fuse and remove again within 10 seconds then replace after 10 seconds. It may well work that way without attempting a start.

Thanks for the clarification on the codes. Bit confused on the fuse number. On a fuse listing I have for my model, which may not be 100% accurate, fuse 1 in the panel under the centre console is 40A and for: Fresh air blower, Auxillary coolant heater relay (J493) and the air conditioning control unit.
I have another fuse in the same box at F28 which is 5A and is just for the Auxiliary coolant heater relay. Presumably this is for the coil of the relay rather than the load. Which one should I pull? If I do this do you think I will need the temp sensor at <5degC?

Lights look good, certainly a big upgrade from the standards. Thanks for the info on the fuse I will give it a go tomorrow. Do you think that I will have to get the air temp sensor below 5degC?
Just to clarify reset procedure; Remove SC46, Start engine, replace fuse after 10 secs, remove after 10 secs, replace after 10 secs. Stop engine. - Does that sound right?

Second remove before 10 seconds.
It is worth a try, it all depends upon the type of lockout, sometimes permanent lockout can mean that it can be cleared by the fuse method and sometimes not! It is pretty poor that these heaters suffer a lockout for fuel shortage as not everyone has the knowhow or even know of the need to bleed the fuel line as though it were a new install.

Sorry for not updating sooner but been trying a few things. Yesterday I tried pulling the fuse (SC46) in various different combinations, non of which worked. But given that the temperature was above 5degC I wasn’t really expecting it to work. Today I went back to PF Jones in Stoke, who helped me with the original Eberspacher problem, they have a VCDS. Full of confidance that we just had to go to module 18 and adapt channel 03 with a 1 as recommended by Ross-Tech and this forum. But there wasn’t a channel 03 in module 18. The dropdown list had probably 20+ channels but no channel 03.
The VCDS did show the same 4 codes and now refered to the lockout as being "02251 - Heater unit locked" we weren’t able to clear the faults nor were we able to activate any of output test.

Any ideas?

I don't think that you will do it with VCDS easily you need a Webasto dealer and WTT and communicate directly with the heater - it is just one click to clear a lockout. I don't understand why they didn't use WTT if they are a pukka dealer ( which is what I thought they were)
Aaaaaah.........Just checked them out - they are only an Eberspacher dealer not Webasto which explains why.

That's right they are not Webasto dealers but elsewhere on this forum, and the California forum, people are saying that this Webasto lockout can be cleared with the VCDS?? So not sure what is right. I will try the fuse pulling again if it is cold enough tomorrow, after that I guess it will have to be a trip to the dealers.

There does appear to be differing degrees of lockouts, as I said before, with no way of knowing what it is until you try to clear it. In your case it is for such a simple reason that it ridiculous that an owner cannot clear it without recourse to software. After all running out of fuel must be quite a common occurrence globally. I won't suggest getting the Webasto dongle and doing it yourself as the Webasto dongle is over £400 which is why I can't post mine around the country. A dealer can't charge more than £10 - £15 to clear it and prime the fuel line though without ripping anyone off.
Look for a canal boat Webasto dealer locally if there isn't an automotive one nearby and they should be able to do it just the same.

Sorry for not updating sooner but been trying a few things. Yesterday I tried pulling the fuse (SC46) in various different combinations, non of which worked. But given that the temperature was above 5degC I wasn’t really expecting it to work. Today I went back to PF Jones in Stoke, who helped me with the original Eberspacher problem, they have a VCDS. Full of confidance that we just had to go to module 18 and adapt channel 03 with a 1 as recommended by Ross-Tech and this forum. But there wasn’t a channel 03 in module 18. The dropdown list had probably 20+ channels but no channel 03.
The VCDS did show the same 4 codes and now refered to the lockout as being "02251 - Heater unit locked" we weren’t able to clear the faults nor were we able to activate any of output test.

Any ideas?
(Un)fortunately never had an opportunity to try on T6 (Webasto Thermo Top Evo) but I have thought adaptation "IDE06688-Auxil. heater activation" would have done the trick. As it's now locked, I would expect to it has now value "not active". Change to "active" and then clear all the faults.

However, before the adaptation access code (20103) need to be typed in at "Security Access" (below Adaptation -button). The access code is also shown when hovering over input field by mouse.

Certainly another possibility would be to try to reset all adaptations - in Basic Settings...

mmi, thanks for your comments. I don't have access to the VCDS at the moment so I can't check. But I am sure we checked all of the options in the channel dropdown list of module 18 and there was nothing there that said "not active" and, as I say no channel 03. Hopefully it will be cold tomorrow so I can try the fuses. After that I will call VW and see if they can help.

Webasto not VW if all you want is the fuel line primed and lockout cleared. Usually VW say that you need Webasto from what I've heard/read.
Your obdeleven may well connect up to the heater via kkl, you will need to access the green/white (kkl) or maybe yellow (W-bus) wire coming from the heater and ensure that you are using the same power source as the heater. I can send you the WTT software. I've never used obdeleven so don't know. Older heaters used to be able to be talked to with any of the cheap obd readers from China but for proper work on the Evo models the Webasto dongle is best.

I have located a local Webasto agent that I can call in the morning to see if they can help. After that I will just check with VW. I should really call in and see them anyway as I still have the adblue recall (23Z7) outstanding. I don't have an obdeleven, only the Carista. But thanks for the kind offer of the software. Am I right in guessing that to use kkl or W-bus I would need to gain direct access to the Webasto, i.e. remove the under car covers or is there a conector under the passenger seat?

Back