Jupp.. get it as a pair, then you know that part is ok. I do have a J2534 cable, not sure if i can use that with with any software, Odis? is that the dealer software they use? Im not sure. I have not found out if I can use this cable to connect to the car... would be nice tho.. pay a one day license to dealer software and use the j2534 cable that i have..

Jupp.. get it as a pair, then you know that part is ok. I do have a J2534 cable, not sure if i can use that with with any software, Odis? is that the dealer software they use? Im not sure. I have not found out if I can use this cable to connect to the car... would be nice tho.. pay a one day license to dealer software and use the j2534 cable that i have..

I think there's a national database of who has ODIS/VCDS or whatever. I'd happily help you out, still got the laptop here with it on plus the dongle. Use at your own risk lol
I'm just south of Leicester.

This route has tolls.
This route includes a car transport.
This route includes a ferry.
This route crosses through multiple countries. Verify COVID-19 border restrictions before going.
Your destination is in a different time zone.

Ok, maybe another time :D

Allrite.. So I ordered vag com cable and it arrived today. Installed Vcds and driver installed..
Fired it up with Ign on and jupp.. I can now have a weeee chat with the vehicle.
What is the steps lads.. where to I start...
I have had a little sneak peak and changed in aux heater to remote without display.. Where do I go from there how?

Hello guys,

Merry Xmas and happy new year!

After reading almost all the posts in the forum regarding parking and engine heater, i have some things more clear in my mind. Please, let me give you a little of context in case it may help someone else and taking the opportunity to ask some doubts :D

I have a webasto airtop 2000STC as a parking heater, aftermarket fitted. i have realized i have the engine heater (Webasto Thermo top Evo) in my T6 Nov 2016 and i want to use it to heat water (i have the special water tank for T5/T6 installed underneath the vehicule)

I want to take control of the engine heater so:

1. Webasto engine heater needs to be flashed with oem firmware in order to unlock it. I plant to use VPC, this one in particular (not sure know if it will fit)

As indicated by @wolny, the firmware is supposed to be this one FL_7E0963273A__0009.frf - Engine Heater, please, may you confirm?

2. After flashing the unit, connect a Webasto multicontroler to command the unit using this kit:

3. I have had some email exchanged with them and they told me after unlocking the unit engine heater will be able to be managed with the controler. also, they told me cabin air blower will start as well... as i want it to heat water, i dont want to start the cabin blower...

They sent me this manual (attached).

I guess if i dont switch on the blower cabin before parking it wont be enabled after turning on the engine heater....?

Maybe here? @Robert i would be extremly thankful if you could share some of your expertise here and there...

1641202774665.png

4. Well.. when i had all of this sorted out, i plan to take the water from the water tank with a 12vpump, take the water throught a heater exchanger like this one:

Connect the entry and output of the exchanger the water from the tank and take the coolant from the webasto output (warm), take into the exchanger and take it back to the coolant circuit. i would like to modify the coolant circuit as less as i could as all we all know how delicate our vans are....

5. Use a temp controler to activate the 12v pump, when the water tank hits the desired temperature, the pump will stop

Much appreciated in advanced all the help, comments, thought you may give.
Cheers
Miguel

Attachments

• T6_T91_climatronic(6).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hola Miguel,¿como esta?
My experience. cabin fan not turned on, the webasto does not start. with the cabin fan on it starts. This might just be the coding of the vehicle not sure
I bought Hex v2 from aliexpress to do the coding in vcds. Worked perfectly. I just had a look around to see what was under 18 aux. heater. it was set to no remote fitted.
I changed it to fitted without display and saved the changes.. I need to flash the webasto firmware too, but I have not done that part yet..
I was thinking of buying a J2534 cable so I can use other Oem diagnostic software, Ie. Ford(ids),Volvo (dice),Jlr(SDD) etc. might even work with bmw, but Im not sure.
But that cable you linked to might be a cheaper option than buying a j2534 cable. I am brand new to this Vw stuff, with coding and adaptations doesnt tell me much yet.

Hola Miguel,¿como esta?
My experience. cabin fan not turned on, the webasto does not start. with the cabin fan on it starts. This might just be the coding of the vehicle not sure
I bought Hex v2 from aliexpress to do the coding in vcds. Worked perfectly. I just had a look around to see what was under 18 aux. heater. it was set to no remote fitted.
I changed it to fitted without display and saved the changes.. I need to flash the webasto firmware too, but I have not done that part yet..
I was thinking of buying a J2534 cable so I can use other Oem diagnostic software, Ie. Ford(ids),Volvo (dice),Jlr(SDD) etc. might even work with bmw, but Im not sure.
But that cable you linked to might be a cheaper option than buying a j2534 cable. I am brand new to this Vw stuff, with coding and adaptations doesnt tell me much yet.

Hi Parrafin,

I will share my experience with the cable i have just bought, the one i put in my post.

so.. you say now you have it working, my question is, what do you do to switch it on? just turning on the cabin fan? Also, i think the temperature needs to be below 5º and the engine running in order to meet the requirments for webasto to run.

It is working as a aux heater and not as a parking heater. The cabin fan must be turned on for the webasto to start in my case. ,Just like what you are after get the webasto start without the engine running.I have a Telestart T91R that has Vw makrings on it bought from the same place you linked to with the cable . I just cant find that damn remote.
The Temp needs to be 5c or above for the webasto to start if the command is sendt from the car. With the remote kit and reprograming the webastos firmware, you can start the webasto anytime you like, as far as i can understand it.
Not sure whats on that usb device that they provide with the cable and the cd. How has cd-rom these days??

It is working as a aux heater and not as a parking heater. The cabin fan must be turned on for the webasto to start in my case. ,Just like what you are after get the webasto start without the engine running.I have a Telestart T91R that has Vw makrings on it bought from the same place you linked to with the cable . I just cant find that damn remote.
The Temp needs to be 5c or above for the webasto to start if the command is sendt from the car. With the remote kit and reprograming the webastos firmware, you can start the webasto anytime you like, as far as i can understand it.
Not sure whats on that usb device that they provide with the cable and the cd. How has cd-rom these days??

understood, i think the behavior in your case is similar as the one in the firsts pages of this post, as @Robert and @wolny did i think.

In my case, it is clear i need to flash webasto firmware in order to manage with the webasto multicontroler with the kit i put above, that is correct mate.

I havent received yet, i think the usb dongle contains the software and the license. not sure. I will share when it arrived. also, i have ordered the controler and the cable to try turning on webasto with it.

Jup.. just get get that firmware updated / changed to webasto original firmware, right now it has Vw firmware on it.
I found that Red connector and the green/white wire under the "capitan" side seat. I connected a cheap kkl cable from pin 7 if the cable to this green/white wire. installed ThermoTop Software and i managed to "talk" with the Webasto. I sendt start as parking heater command, and I did hear a clicking sound, just like you get when you turn the cabin fan on. then a Nack message on the software and the webasto did not start. I do suspect thats cause of Vw firmware installed on it. But if i get the stock webasto firmware, i guess everything will be fine Do you have a kkl cable that you can make a wiring loom so you can diagnose, test and run the webasto?

Jup.. just get get that firmware updated / changed to webasto original firmware, right now it has Vw firmware on it.
I found that Red connector and the green/white wire under the "capitan" side seat. I connected a cheap kkl cable from pin 7 if the cable to this green/white wire. installed ThermoTop Software and i managed to "talk" with the Webasto. I sendt start as parking heater command, and I did hear a clicking sound, just like you get when you turn the cabin fan on. then a Nack message on the software and the webasto did not start. I do suspect thats cause of Vw firmware installed on it. But if i get the stock webasto firmware, i guess everything will be fine Do you have a kkl cable that you can make a wiring loom so you can diagnose, test and run the webasto?

i plan to use the VCP cable to flash de webasto and then try t command it with the controler and the cable included in the kit. LAso, i have VCDS, i gues i could give it a try with VCDS too when i flashed the unit.

Acorrding to the guys where i bought the kit, i tshould be enough

1641211296118.png

I wounder whats on that usb dongle. If anyone buys that dongle, take an image of that thing as save it as a .iso file for safe keeping.
The kit looks ok, but the hassle of sending it back to them might be costly both in dineros and time..
If you get this to work with the cable and the software, could you post a img of all the settings under aux heater in vcds.. There are some coding and adaptaion variations out there, and I think it would be great to make some sort of a list of all the different variations so ppl can try to make it work them self.

Yes.. and what it`s more, the price of that "unlocking kit" almost cost as a new thermo top from webasto. i gonna give a try with the VPC cheap cable with the dongle bought in aliexpress, flash the webasto with it and then try to make it work with the multicontroler... lets see where it goes.. i will keep you posted.

I upgraded my heater recently and will share my experience. Turned out to be a long post.
The car is a California Beach ’18, LHD (I’m based in Sweden). I bought the Webasto upgrade kit. Didn’t know about the other option (VW firmware) until later.

I ordered the Webasto kit, T99 remote and W-bus diag interface from Wibutec in Germany. It also came with the needed wires prepared with terminals (12V, ground and w-bus wires).

My expectations when I ordered the kit were a straightforward approach, connect the wires under the left seat, run the firmware upgrade, connect the control unit and then done. It got a little bit more complicated.

First minor problem. None of the free fuse holders under the seat was prepared with +12V. So I took 12V from the Webasto harness and connected the fuse holder.

Then I connected the ground to the dedicated earth point, and attached the w-bus wire to the red connector under the seat. From the red connector, the Webasto harness runs through the floor to the heater. Second problem, I expected the w-bus wire already to be included in the existing harness, but it was not so had to be routed. Some cars have this wire from factory, but not mine. However, the kit included this w-bus wire, with correct terminals. It just had to be routed through the floor to the heater. In order to get access to the feedthrough in the floor, the battery, handbrake lever and the seat console have to be removed. The feedthrough has a tight rubber seal where the w-bus wire will go together with the existing Webasto harness. So using some force I managed to route the wire through the rubber seal.

Third problem. Newer models have the AdBlue tank right beneath the rubber seal. So in order to get access to the wire from beneath, first the plastic cover under the floor has to be removed, then the AdBlue tank has to be unscrewed and lowered a bit. Then I managed to get hold of the wire.

The next step is to remove the connector from the heater and unlock the connector latch in order to add the w-bus terminal (to pin2).

Fourth problem. When forcing the wire through the seal, I damaged the terminal so I had to replace it, TE MQS female terminal.

Now everything was setup for the heater update. Connected the w-bus service tool to my PC and also plugged in the USB stick. The USB stick is a “USB key”, which contains the license to run the Webasto software.

Fifth problem. The tool reported no connection to the heater. Got stuck here for more than a week. Went through all settings. Checked connections. Tried with/without ignition on, with/without engine on. Tried another PC. Even bought a new connector which I connected directly to the diag interface. No luck.

Eventually, I sat in the car playing around with settings in the OBDEleven tool. Suddenly, the flashing passed! I think I changed the “change service” setting from VW Mode to “developer mode”, but not sure if that actually had any impact, or I was just lucky.

The rest was straight forward. Connected the remote control module under the dash, and the antenna onto the A pillar.

One thing worth mentioning is that I didn’t change the setting “remote control” in the heater long coding. I tried changing it from None to “RF transmitter without display”. It resulted in error codes related to data bus, but no functional change, so reverted the change. However I changed the setting “insufficient voltage switch off” from “internal” to “Energy Management” to let the car decide when to switch off the heater when the battery voltage is low.

Now I’m happy and everything works flawlessly!

Your Long post :)
Hi @canard1971,

Thank you for sharing you experience, much appreciated.

When you say: "Connected the w-bus service tool to my PC and also plugged in the USB stick. The USB stick is a “USB key”, which contains the license to run the Webasto software"

Please, could you share what diagnostic cable you use? I guess you were usaing webasto diagnostic software (WTT) right?

Another thing, how did you flash de webasto unit? I guess you installed a firmware owned by webasto and you did not use the one mentioned in this thread (owned by VW),, didnt you?

I am struggling to understand why you could not connect to the heater, the diagnostic tool i have seen in the internet they have the connection to the heater and a 12v positive and negative in one side and the usb in the other side...

Does you car start the ventilation in the cabing along with the coolant heater to heat engine and cabin??

I think when you tried to changed to "RF transmitter without control display" getting that error is because the car tried to communicate with the heater and with the flashing it does not "speak the same language" (please, correct me if i am wrong) as the heater does not have anymore the VW firmware to communicate with the ECU.

I want to achieve something similar as you have just changing the T99 telestar by the webasto multicontroler (webasto display) and to do that, i would need to flash the heater with a webasto original firmware (which i guess, the ECU wont be able to talk to the heater anymore and switch it on when the outside temp is below +5 C (again, please guys, correct if i am wrong)

Just trying to put together all the pieces of the puzzle

Cheers
Miguel

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
I presume with this method you don’t have the two hour run time limit ?
Don’t know actually. The T99 remote control has an option for permanent heating, but documentation says that there might be a time limit in the heater itself. Anyway, I’ve kept the default value, which is 30 minutes, in order not to drain the battery.

Please, could you share what diagnostic cable you use? I guess you were usaing webasto diagnostic software (WTT) right?
It’s a custom made interface that I ordered together with the Webasto kit. It’s has an cum-cartec sticker on it. It added €39 to the price, so cheaper than the Webasto interface.
Another thing, how did you flash de webasto unit? I guess you installed a firmware owned by webasto and you did not use the one mentioned in this thread (owned by VW),, didnt you?
The kit came with a CD containing Webasto firmware and Webasto flash tool. So once the w-bus connection is good, it’s simple. Just start the flash tool and click a button.
I am struggling to understand why you could not connect to the heater, the diagnostic tool i have seen in the internet they have the connection to the heater and a 12v positive and negative in one side and the usb in the other side...
There is a USB port that you connect to the PC. At the other end of the cable, there is an adapter that supports w-bus. Basically it’s a simple 12V serial interface, 12V, ground, and a serial line (w-bus). For some reason the serial connection didn’t work. Don’t know why. The power levels and data rate need to be ok, but that should be handled by the adapter. Maybe something was at the outer limit of the spec.
Does you car start the ventilation in the cabing along with the coolant heater to heat engine and cabin??
Yes, after a few minutes, when there is heat, the regular ventilation gets enabled and heats the cabin.
I think when you tried to changed to "RF transmitter without control display" getting that error is because the car tried to communicate with the heater and with the flashing it does not "speak the same language" (please, correct me if i am wrong) as the heater does not have anymore the VW firmware to communicate with the ECU.
Yes, it’s possible. But I think I read in the thread that the guys with VW firmware also noticed error messages. Anyway, with the Webasto SW it works fine without changing this setting.
I want to achieve something similar as you have just changing the T99 telestar by the webasto multicontroler (webasto display) and to do that, i would need to flash the heater with a webasto original firmware (which i guess, the ECU wont be able to talk to the heater anymore and switch it on when the outside temp is below +5 C (again, please guys, correct if i am wrong)
It should be the same procedure to add the Multicontroller. When I ordered this kit, you could choose any control device that supports w-bus. So instead of T99 you can choose Multicontroller.
The car communicates with the heater over CAN bus and that should not be affected by this upgrade. The heater still has the original firmware, basically. The upgrade only unlocks the parking heater feature.

81B9E850-8861-4C92-903B-2B9D7340F08F.png

Back