Water tanks on 4 motion

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Ok so i have previously converted 2WD vans and have used the CAK skirt tanks and also the triangle one in front of axel, have also used the one that goes around the spare wheel, but those wont work with 4 motion.
So i can still use the skirt tanks but what have you done for another tank?? there is a long thin one that seems to go down middle but guess this wont work with a prop shaft in the way?.
an option is to dump the spare wheel and make/buy one to to fit there.

i dont want one inside van around wheel arch.

what solutions are there??

I have used a skirt tank for my waste water and I am planning on using a spare wheel tank for fresh water, my spare wheel doesn’t fit there anyway.
My fresh water tank is currently in the bottom of my wardrobe.

64A78657-A3A6-46C4-B5A2-6055DC6D1060.jpeg

Last edited:
Leisurelines.net offer a 15 litre tank that can be used on the 4 Motion and 2WD vans:

It is designed to fit at the very rear of the van, next to the spare wheel on the near side of the van. It's quite tall at 270mm, which will put the bottom of the tank in line with the lower face of the spare wheel support arm. It's also right next to the rear wheel, so is more exposed to the risk of damage from stones flung up by the wheel - I think it would be sensible to guard the exposed faces of the tank with some thin metal sheeting.

There is also the option to fit this tank on the off side of the van if you don't have a rear exhaust box, which is at least the case for the lower engine power T6.1 vehicles like mine. In my case I am planning on using the combined step and skirt tanks (leisurelines part CAK-T5PAIRFW) for my fresh water (48 litres) and two of the 15 litre tanks mentioned above to give 30 litres of waste. My van is not 4WD, but I have reserved the space that the syncro gearbox would occupy forward of the spare wheel for an underslung LPG tank.

I haven't seen this arrangement mentioned in any forum threads that I have read and would welcome any pros and cons that members would like to share.

Ok so i have previously converted 2WD vans and have used the CAK skirt tanks
@Epic-Rob I’m about to order a skirt tank for freshwater on my 4Motion. Not going with the step tank, as I’ll have a heater there. I’m planning to have all the fill, drain and pump fittings at the back end.

How do the vents work on these? The CAK website isn’t very helpful, and in reply they just sent a potato print of fitting instructions.

@Epic-Rob I’m about to order a skirt tank for freshwater on my 4Motion. Not going with the step tank, as I’ll have a heater there. I’m planning to have all the fill, drain and pump fittings at the back end.

How do the vents work on these? The CAK website isn’t very helpful, and in reply they just sent a potato print of fitting instructions.
I assume that the vents work on differential pressure either filling or consuming, also acting against spring rate.
They’ve been in business along time so I think there isn’t much to be worried about.

I previously called CAK to ask about the 'breather' vents. They are nothing more complicated than a plastic fitting with a 2mm hole that allows air to escape during filling, and air to be drawn in during emptying.

On filling the tank, if you completely fill the filler hose so that the water level is higher than the top of the tank (as you normally would), the breathers will slowly weep water until the level in the filler hose recedes to the same level as the tank breathers - i.e. level with the top of the tank. This water will run down the outside of the tank and pool below the van. Breathers like this are therefore only used on external tanks!

You should also bear this in mind if you winterise your tank with lagging, making sure that there is a route for the water to drain and that it doesn't accumulate within the lagging. Punching some holes in the lagging under the tank or starting and finishing the lagging wrap at the bottom of the tank will acheive this.

Back