Underslung water tank

Garyf123

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, it’s my first post but definately won’t be the last! I have a 2020 Highline full camper with underslung water tank. The filler is on side of body at side of EHU port. It is I think, a whale type filler as I have a 7.5m lay flat hose and whale connector to fill from a hose. I have not used it since I bought the van approx 2 months ago and intend to drain and refill tomorrow and my questions are:

what chemical should I use to clean the tank?
How do I get the chemical into the tank with it having the whale socket thing on side of van?
Silly one maybe but how do I know when it’s full as there is no escape (that I am aware of) for excess water?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Gary.

Reactions: CAB
Hi all, it’s my first post but definately won’t be the last! I have a 2020 Highline full camper with underslung water tank. The filler is on side of body at side of EHU port. It is I think, a whale type filler as I have a 7.5m lay flat hose and whale connector to fill from a hose. I have not used it since I bought the van approx 2 months ago and intend to drain and refill tomorrow and my questions are:

what chemical should I use to clean the tank?
How do I get the chemical into the tank with it having the whale socket thing on side of van?
Silly one maybe but how do I know when it’s full as there is no escape (that I am aware of) for excess water?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Gary.

Milton sterilising fluid or similar works, but whatever you use flush it through afterwards several times

Over the past 50 years we have had a succession of 4 VW Kombi campervans with water tanks, the T6 is the latest; they have been our everyday runabouts and our holiday campers.
I confess I have never cleaned the water tanks nor found it necessary to clean them. Prior to each trip I empty the tank, flush some water through then refill and head off.
Works for me.

If this is going to be your drinking water I wouldn't put bleach anywhere near the tank.
Flush it out, thoroughly, more than once.

Dissolve some water purification tabs and add that to the tank, if adding to Whale hose is difficult, what about buying {edit: modifying} a second attachment and using it with a funnel? Give us a picture?
With tank half/third full of water & purification stuff go for a short drive on a very quiet road or in a car park where you can brake often and ensure everything gets thoroughly sloshed about. I'd empty via the sink tap so that the entire system is rinsed through.

Flush it out again. Fill again, add more purification stuff, leave for a few hours. Repeat . . . yes it will be a pain, drinking tainted water will cause more pain . . .:eek:

There will be an overflow somewhere if you cannot see it and when the tank is full there will be water under your van :D (Certainly the case for my last three . . .)

Last edited:
I want to do the same thing as @Garyf123.

I note @Gàirnealair's comment on the bleach and feel this may make the water system a bit "bleachy"
Dissolve some water purification tabs and add that to the tank, if adding to Whale hose is difficult, what about buying a second attachment and using it with a funnel?
So, I have just bought one of these:

I intent on fully draining my water system before refilling with this little thing plumbed in-line. I'll dose the device with Puriclean and drive around for a day or two before draining tank and flushing.
https://amzn.eu/d/3RWbZiJ

Got to wait to receive this stuff, but I'll update this thread with how I get on.

Last edited:
Another thought - depending upon how you think/believe the van was previously used, and your level of concern/risk assessment, you could also consider changing the cartridge in your water pump. Assuming it's a serviceable item . . .

I do mine once a month, sometimes more frequently as I hire my camper out. I always recommend customers dont drink from the tap and take bottled water though still.

The product I use is from Amazon, I will try and find the link. You had 100ml per 20L capacity and leave it 24 hours then flush it through the system, refill with clean, flush and refill again. You know when your tank is full as it starts to over flow from the filling point (also at least with mine you can tell by listening when its getting full)

EDIT - Link

Has nobody ever attempted to clean a water tank out on a camper van?:).
I use Puriclean. I work out the appropriate amount and mix in a mineral water bottle. I add it with a funnel and short piece or food grade hose. Top up with water and slosh it about by driving.

I them drain and refill a couple of times.

Mine overflows when full, but you can hear the pitch rising rapidly so you tend to know when it’s nearly full.

All those suggesting not using chlorine bleach, what do you think is in the other products? Chlorine in diluted table form.

Reactions: Bav
I haven’t found a tank cleaner that isn’t chlorine based so be aware that if it’s dosed too high it’s likely to cause corrosion if you have any reactive metals in the system.
If you have a Dometic sink you can pretty much watch the crap chrome plating fizz off, not to worry they’re only 80 quid a pair to buy.

heres some advice that might help to give you an idea does your tank not have a drain it would help with flushing rather than running the tap to flush ... you dont need a lot of bleach but it will need flushing i found this and remember just a capfull for 20 ltrs and dilute/mix with water before adding bleach is very strong stuff
i quote = The most effective solution is using plain liquid household bleach. The solution consists of ¼ cup of bleach for every 16 gallons in your freshwater tank. Measure how much you need for your tank in a measuring cup. Dilute it by mixing bleach and water in a large pitcher.
or use milton tablets but again long term shouldn't be drank and requires flushing to drink .
i carry out out chlorinations to building water tanks but the water don't get drank and we use litmus paper to check the PH is back to 7 PH to see its flushed properly . helps to keep the tank full.

You only ever need a capful of bleach to a bucket of water. i wont go full into PH levles now lol . but water is @ 7 PH 100 times more alkaline than skin is why it cleans on its own
most dyes in cloths are added with a Ph of 9 skin is 5.5. 5.5 to 9 makes 9 is over 1000 times more alkaline that skin 10 PH is 10, 000 times stronger and your putting your hands in the bucket... is why bleach strips out colors from cloths and hair
sanitizing water only needs to raise the water in parts per million to kill the bugs.... hope this helps Nick

Last edited:
We drink our tank water and have for over 5 years on quite a few extended trips.

I dose the tank before filling with 10mm of this product and empty the tank and refill with fresh water and another 10mm of this stuff when we get home.

It has no taste and says it will keep water safe for many months.

I'm sure something similar is available in your area as I live in Australia. We get it from a caravan/RV store.20221116_153904.jpg

We drink our tank water and have for over 5 years on quite a few extended trips.

I dose the tank before filling with 10mm of this product and empty the tank and refill with fresh water and another 10mm of this stuff when we get home.

It has no taste and says it will keep water safe for many months.

I'm sure something similar is available in your area as I live in Australia. We get it from a caravan/RV store.View attachment 179370
hi we use silver nitrate in hard to flush propertys ,flats , old peoples homes, ect... small amounts of silver are self depleting and harmless to drink in small quantity''s and hydrogen peroxide is simular to bleach and you flush / rinse your tank regular use with fresh water also keeps everything clean its the low use warm sitting water is where the problems lay hidden water temps between 20 and 50 deegree C is high risk low use shower heads too left sitting with warm water in them that create a mist to breath in . like anything in moderation fresh water is alway best

I tried the below plan of action this morning and due to unprecedented stupidity, it went worse than I could have ever imagined!
So, I have just bought one of these:
I intent on fully draining my water system before refilling with this little thing plumbed in-line. I'll dose the device with Puriclean and drive around for a day or two before draining tank and flushing.
https://amzn.eu/d/3RWbZiJ

Got to wait to receive this stuff, but I'll update this thread with how I get on.

I filled my device with Puriclean and the little tank wasn't big enough to dissolve the crystals:30D49C77-DA10-469B-A70A-B8752E0D0BA7.jpeg

So I decanted it from the little dispensing tank into a large screw top beaker. (I thought if I put it in a bigger container with a little BOILING water, I could give it a jolly good shake causing it to dissolve)
22ED3286-015F-4D58-A1C1-6BF84F82F0E3.jpeg

The above photo was taken just before I opened the lid and BOOM!....... That boiling water mixed with Puriclean builds up to some unexpected pressure!
Luckily, I wear glasses, as I could have had a more serious accident, but I managed to bleached my new Xmas jumper, jeans and much of the kitchen. I also had it over my skin and I immediately rinsed this with cold water. It did cause some very temporary nasty itchy burns on my skin for the morning, which calmed down after a couple of hours.

This was pretty dumb and I felt pretty stupid, but my stupidity was still to be trumped when I went out to the cars (after cleaning up the kitchen)!

I realised that I'd driven the family camper to work on Friday morning and then absentmindedly came home in my work van, so couldn't have cleaned the water tank anyway!
:fast rofl:

Back