T5/T6 NSR underslung water tank

Oakfield

We recently completed a camper van conversion on a T6.
As part of this we developed a water tank that fits in an unused space behind the N/S/R wheel to use as a waste tank and had a drain pipe fitted.
Since then I have fitted one to my own van (T5) to use with a cordless pressure washer for washing off my bike at the track before loading up. This is fitted with a quick release hose fitting for both filling and emptying.
Would this be of any interest to people on here?
It holds 17.5L and could be sold with a stainless steel strap for fitting and either waste pipe fittings or quick release hose fittings.
PhotoRoom_20220908_113413.PNGPhotoRoom_20220908_113020.PNGPhotoRoom_20220908_113319.PNGPhotoRoom_20220908_113350.PNGIMG_5906.JPGIMG_5949.JPG

We made the prototype by making a 3d model on Sketchup and then cutting the flat parts out on a cnc router and joining together.
When this worked and fitted nicely we made a metal mould and got a local company to 'rotation mould' it.
It's quite a long and expensive process for a one off tank so that's why we thought we would offer it for sale.
It is very easy to fit and nothing else was available that makes use of that space under the van.

What forces the water out? Is there anyway you could attach a portable shower head to rinse Childrens feet etc… ?

A battery powered pressure washer sucks the water out - it would be perfect for hosing off the kids!
Or maybe an inline water pump similar to this, powered by the lighter socket would work well?

Or maybe an inline water pump similar to this, powered by the lighter socket would work well?

Last edited:
That’s very interesting! I had been thinking about skirt mounted freshwater tank, but this could give me more options to put something else in the skirt void.

That’s very interesting! I had been thinking about skirt mounted freshwater tank, but this could give me more options to put something else in the skirt void.
That's why we developed this tank - because we were also doing other tanks, heater, gas etc and still wanted to keep a spare wheel!

Perfect for rear kitchen layouts, directly under the sink :thumbsup:

Looks good. I’m going to ask the stupid question now……..how do you fill it with water?

Such a good idea, great work @Oakfield
Thank you - i really do appreciate the feedback!

Perfect for rear kitchen layouts, directly under the sink :thumbsup:
That is exactly the reason we made it!

IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

Looks good. I’m going to ask the stupid question now……..how do you fill it with water?
Not a stupid question!
I fill it through the quick fit hose fitting and then empty it the same way with the battery powered pressure washer.
which is why i like it so much - it is so easy to fit and you don't need to cut holes anywhere!
If you wanted a more conventional filler somewhere, you could fit an inlet to it elsewhere.

Looking like £150 for the tank.
The folded and drilled stainless steel strap would be about £15
Pipe kit's would depend on what's required but about £10-£15
I hope that helps.
Perfect thank you. I really like the tank and it uses pretty much the only spare space I have left, but it is going to need some thought on how/if I could get the plumbing over to that corner with the van already kitted out.

I’ll definitely let you know if I find a way to make it work. Thanks for sharing it.

Hello, this looks interesting. Do you have an air admittance&release valve on the top?
On my tank I have just drilled a couple of small holes in the top.
The way I use it the holes need to let air out as I fill it and air in as I use it so it can’t be a one way valve at all.
There are easy to fit options available, depending on how it is being used and what pipes in and out you have. Like this?

Perfect thank you. I really like the tank and it uses pretty much the only spare space I have left, but it is going to need some thought on how/if I could get the plumbing over to that corner with the van already kitted out.

I’ll definitely let you know if I find a way to make it work. Thanks for sharing it.
No problem, and I’m glad you like it.
I know it’s hard to fit everything under these vans sometimes! Good luck.

On my tank I have just drilled a couple of small holes in the top.
The way I use it the holes need to let air out as I fill it and air in as I use it so it can’t be a one way valve at all.
There are easy to fit options available, depending on how it is being used and what pipes in and out you have. Like this?
Great, I'd want to use it like you have - a single external outlet/inlet pipe with a hozelock connector to use with the Joolca hot water heater. I already have an underslung gas tank in the 4-motion space with external outlets in both corners of the bumper so I'll have to see what space is left. Ideally I'd like around 40l water capacity. I already have a factory fit diesel heater as well, so maybe a skirt tank along with yours would fit.

Back