Underslung water tank

I went to change my underslung tank pump yesterday only to find that the converter had rigged the internal hose so short that there wouldn’t be enough hose to get the new pump on.
I removed the whole tank and found that the ‘vent’ valves that I thought I had were a couple of 3mm holes drilled through the top of the tank, WTF I thought, what’s coming next.
So with the tank out I’m going to fit a couple of Legris elbows and run the vents with 6mm tubing and filters to a point behind the small D pillar plastic panel below the tail light.
I’m going to insulate the tank and fit a thermostat controlled ’de-frost’ element, according to the tech’ spec’ it will run from 5 degC until 10 degC if left on.
Still not sure if I’ll fit a 0.5B PRV, I’ll take a look at the cross-section area of the vents against the cross-section area of the filling line. Either way there needs to be some protection against ‘old age’ distractions when filling the tank under pressure!
I’ll make an internal bracket to support the new pump just above the drain cap so that there can be some slack hose and cable to allow an easy pump renewal next time around.

Reactions: CAB
I don't understand what made you drop the tank to replace the pump? Is your pump not inside the van?
I guess the 0.5 bar PRV that you refer to is required to prevent pressurising the tank when filling from the mains?
Mine definitely has some sort of PRV as I can hear it vibrating like hell when the tank is full and water is being relieved from under the van.
Is there some sort of simple reed valve device which would prevent crap getting in the tank, but allow air out during the fill? This would be simpler?

I don't understand what made you drop the tank to replace the pump? Is your pump not inside the van?
I guess the 0.5 bar PRV that you refer to is required to prevent pressurising the tank when filling from the mains?
Mine definitely has some sort of PRV as I can hear it vibrating like hell when the tank is full and water is being relieved from under the van.
Is there some sort of simple reed valve device which would prevent crap getting in the tank, but allow air out during the fill? This would be simpler?
The pump in the base of the tank submersible not in inline.
Yes PRV is just some simple protection, it’s a large tank and a few psi can balloon it quite easily.
I want to take the vents slightly higher than the tank as due to it’s shape it probably won’t completely fill unless the van is dead level. It’s about 20 quid and 30 min’s work.

I didn't realise external submersible pumps were a thing.
I drained down my water system and did my best with the internal pipe work, etc. (I made a error in that I made sure I could drain the water system from the lowest point, I then failed to tell the converters to leave good access to this drain point and worried about freezing over the recent cold snap!)
I think if I had an external pump I'd worry it would be a problem, so sounds like your plan is the way ahead.

Back