VCDS Tweaks.

Yeah @Loz. That was my thought too when I read that on bit 4. However, I wonder if a tester needs that reversed for purposes of their MOT exam.

I've driven a few crafters that had the option to deactivate DRLs on the MFD but this seems to have been done away with on the T6. Probably after the legislation change on compulsory DRLs.
I remember seeing in VCDS an option to insert or remove the option to disable the DRLs in the MFD so it is possible on the T6, just not the default

I tested these 2 today and both work.. Actually bit 4 is very handy when camping etc..
Definitely, perfect option for camping!

I'm struggling for why they've included the option to have the front fogs come on with the reversing lights though?

Definitely, perfect option for camping!

I'm struggling for why they've included the option to have the front fogs come on with the reversing lights though?

That's a common function for fog and reversing lights to have. Fog lights illuminate out to side aswell as the front, so if your about to turn the steering left or right while going backwards, it's ment to illuminate any hazards that maybe on either side of you.

Last edited:
I remember seeing in VCDS an option to insert or remove the option to disable the DRLs in the MFD so it is possible on the T6, just not the default
This is byte 12 bit 1 but unfortunately it doesn't enable extra options in the dash(yet ;))

You can easily deactivate it by unticking bit 3 in Byte 21.

Reactions: mmi
Lights/DRLs
Byte 23 bit 1 - when ticked deactivates rear fog lights while high beam is ON
Byte 23 bit 2 - when ticked fog lights work as DRLs
Byte 23 bit 3 - when ticked low beam works as DRLs
Byte 23 bit 4 - when ticked DRLs turn OFF when hand brake is ON
Byte 23 bit 7 - when ticked DRL/DRLs turn OFF when blinker or emergency lights are activated

Cornering
Byte 12 bit 6 when ticked corresponding fog light switches ON when steering wheel is turned approx. 90°
Byte 21 bit 2 when ticked corresponding fog light switches ON when indicator is ON and speed is below approx. 25mph

Leaving Home & Coming Home
Byte 10 bit 1 - when ticked activates LH
Byte 10 bit 2 - when ticked activates CH
Byte 13 bit 6 - when ticked LH & CH work with low beam and when unticked LH & CH work with fog lights

Thanks @Robert that makes the flashers much more obvious in an LED headlight unit.

Rod

I tested these 2 today and both work.. Actually bit 4 is very handy when camping etc..
Which headlights are you running? I don't see those two tick boxes against byte 23 so it may be that you have LEDs and mine started life with H4s.
I've also just noticed I need to update to 18.2.0 now so it's possible these are in that update.

You have to use alternative view in the long coding (LCode 2) to see the tick boxes for all 8 bits in each Byte and then tick bit 4 & bit 7 in Byte 23.
This is the extra coding I have worked out myself and it is not documented by VCDS and I am afraid it won't be included in the next update.
This mod should work with all types of head lapms (H4, twin H7 or LED) but I have tested these on my LED retrofit only.

Last edited:
Which headlights are you running? I don't see those two tick boxes against byte 23 so it may be that you have LEDs and mine started life with H4s.
I've also just noticed I need to update to 18.2.0 now so it's possible these are in that update.
I just used the binary field the bits count from right to left 76543210
byte0-explained.png

That's me sorted......byte 23, bits 4 and 7 enabled. I've got the Jun Yang aftermarket headlights (halogen clone of the OEM LED units) and those were both useful changes.

Me Too.

But using VCDS as normal long coding I edited the binary for byte 23, remember BITs are 7 to 0 reading from the left.

Usual rules write down (or copy & paste to notepad) the original before you start!

Rod

This has got me thinking......for those that are converting from H4 to H7 (or the aftermarket options), to keep dipped on with mains, in byte 22:
H4 - bit 2 is '1' and bit 1 is '0'
H7 - bit 2 is '0' and bit 1 is '1'

Hence 6C becomes 6A, CC becomes CA and in my case 6D became 6B

This has got me thinking......for those that are converting from H4 to H7 (or the aftermarket options), to keep dipped on with mains, in byte 22:
H4 - bit 2 is '1' and bit 1 is '0'
H7 - bit 2 is '0' and bit 1 is '1'
This is weird, I had twin H7 and in my case I had
bit 1 = 0 and bit 2 = 0 for Byte 22.

Reactions: mmi
Ok, that probably explains why Pauly found that you had to decrease the value of Byte 22 by 2 then. I'm sure if it was as simple as ticking/unticking boxes, he would have stated that.

Yes bit 1 should be 0 for H7
This is the byte that reads ‘disable low beam when high beam active’ or words to that effect so it has to be disabled and as there’s no tick box for it reducing the code by a value of two will have that effect (remember it starts from bit 0 so bit 1 is the second bit therefore a value of two )

Each 0 or 1 is a single bit, the smallest piece of information that can be stored and they count from right to left.

- For example, 1101

-- bit 0 = 1

-- bit 1 = 0

-- bit 2 = 1

-- bit 3 = 1

These are grouped in to bytes, which are 8 bits long, so 0000000 is a single byte.

As you can imagine, big number stored in binary are very confusing for humans to read, so instead we represent them in hexadecimal (base16) instead. This is a way to represent 0-15 with a single character, so it's 0 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F.

This means each byte is now just two characters, such as FF or 10. Be warned, the second one isn't actually 10, it's 16 in base10 or 00010000 in base2

In thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/vcds-codes-list.4851/#post-76338 we have the following about Byte 22
  • Byte 22 Bit 0 Light reduction / evaluation Light switch (LDS) Position 0
  • Byte 22 Bit 1 unknown
  • Byte 22 Bit 2 Low beam inactive with main beam active
  • Byte 22 Bit 3 Display daytime running light active / installed
  • Byte 22 Bit 4 Shut-off of rear fog lights (NSL) with luggage compartment open
  • Byte 22 Bit 5 Assistent Driving Light (ADL) active
  • Byte 22 Bit 6 Interlock Display (Clutch Message) in Instrument Cluster active

The Bit 1 is undefined/unknown and Bit 2 is the bit in question controlling whether low and main beams both can be on simultaneously.

A thing about mathematics in binary. In general setting/clearing single bits cannot be done by adding or subtracting numbers in hex or decimal.

Extreme example:
8 (hex/dec) – 2 (hex/dec) = 6 (hex/dec) but as actual binary numbers are
1000 (bin) – 0010 (bin) = 0110 (bin),
so instead of clearing bit 1 (which already was 0), we actually reversed bits 3, 2, 1 (1000->0110)

I think that in this case (H4/H7 headlight swap) just accidentally also the correct bit (bit 2) was changed and changing the bit 1 just didn’t hurt us. This worked because bit 1 happened to be 0 so the subtraction carried the change over also to bit 2. I am happy to stand corrected on this.

Back