VB Air Suspension - Let's Discuss...

kn0bby

T6 Guru
Sounds like a few members on here have the kit.. I am interested to hear their thoughts.

So its a parking mode, sport mode, standard mode, off road mode and a self levelling mode for camping.

Doesn't sound like the Sport mode isn't as low as the B14's.. but from what i've read the ride quality is much better.

The 4 corner solution, does it run a compressor and tank? As I am running out of room under mine now (looks like a little one below)

Anyone know how configurable it is? how much lower can you get sport mode?

IMG_3059.jpg
Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 22.53.53.png

We have it, it’s excellent for a camper, especially the auto-level feature.

I wouldn’t say it’s very suitable for those who want their van running very low for aesthetic reasons. The sport mode isn’t all that low and official installers won’t configure it lower than VB specifies.

It's the next big update for my van. I have an LPG tank where the spare wheel goes which has a minimum ground clearance. I'm expecting that this may be breached when in sport mode, but easily recovered in off road mode for speed bumps etc.
I'm also thinking that the default (null) position can start off lower than my standard T32 panel van height - so maybe already 30mm lower, meaning that Offroad will just return my van to standard height and sport mode commensurately 55mm lower than standard.
I'm hoping to talk to an installer about this soon.

It's the next big update for my van. I have an LPG tank where the spare wheel goes which has a minimum ground clearance. I'm expecting that this may be breached when in sport mode, but easily recovered in off road mode for speed bumps etc.
I'm also thinking that the default (null) position can start off lower than my standard T32 panel van height - so maybe already 30mm lower, meaning that Offroad will just return my van to standard height and sport mode commensurately 55mm lower than standard.
I'm hoping to talk to an installer about this soon.

I think it’s quite unlikely an official installer will set the heights at anything other than the VB standard (and the VB standard ride height isn’t much/any lower than VW factory). VB have paperwork in place with VW so it doesn’t affect the factory warranty and they won’t do anything non-standard which might compromise this. If you want your van to sit low because you like the look, VB probably isn’t the right option.

I think it’s quite unlikely an official installer will set the heights at anything other than the VB standard (and the VB standard ride height isn’t much/any lower than VW factory). VB have paperwork in place with VW so it doesn’t affect the factory warranty and they won’t do anything non-standard which might compromise this. If you want your van to sit low because you like the look, VB probably isn’t the right option.
Agreed.
But I will ask anyway. After all, I believe standard ride height is lower on some versions (California for example?) and VW themselves offer a lower option for most if not all vans.
I want it for the self-level function, and the improved ride over standard T32 suspension. The looks are a by product.

Thanks for the feedback..

Thats my dilemma at the moment.. Love the look of the B14's and it running low but the camper loaded with the family it isn't very practical.

Shaun like you I am hoping an installer might be able to set the sport modes a little lower than standard. I have contacted an installer, they advise that VB provide tools to set the suspension at a set distance.. Apparently wheel size doesn't affect this.

Need to find a demo to have a look see how it works..

Have a chat with Plush; not sure what system they fit but are well known and reputable. I know @Fish has done lots of homework relating to air so can no doubt offer advice on what heights can be set.

In terms of underslung tanks, again Fish posted in his T6.1 thread recently (I think that was where it was) about a specially made aluminium skid plate he has had manufactured that bolts to the chassis cross rails in front of the lpg tank and then extends rearwards to prevent any potential damage to the tank.

Have a chat with Plush; not sure what system they fit but are well known and reputable. I know @Fish has done lots of homework relating to air so can no doubt offer advice on what heights can be set.

In terms of underslung tanks, again Fish posted in his T6.1 thread recently (I think that was where it was) about a specially made aluminium skid plate he has had manufactured that bolts to the chassis cross rails in front of the lpg tank and then extends rearwards to prevent any potential damage to the tank.
All correct

I've heard that most of the air systems that go super low don't offer a more comfortable ride.. I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

@Fish you had B14's, how does it compare? Do you run 20"

I've heard that most of the air systems that go super low don't offer a more comfortable ride.. I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

@Fish you had B14's, how does it compare? Do you run 20"
Give me a couple of hours mate.. just ears deep in CAD.

Hi all,

Considering VB Air and wondered if there was any update to this thread - likes, dislikes, comparisons with other air systems etc.

Thx all

Cz.

Nothing different, just that for us it’s great. Best aspects in priority order; self levelling when camping, lowering for car parks and our garage, raised off road mode if the ground is uneven. I hardly ever use sports mode and take the improved ride for granted because I have nothing to compare it with.

Nothing different, just that for us it’s great. Best aspects in priority order; self levelling when camping, lowering for car parks and our garage, raised off road mode if the ground is uneven. I hardly ever use sports mode and take the improved ride for granted because I have nothing to compare it with.

My thoughts exactly. Only slight annoyance for us is a tendency to beep at you with start/stop, although the beeping is much reduced with latest firmware. Auto-level is amazing.

As has been said before, if you’re looking for the lowered slammed look, VB ain’t for you. It’s aimed squarely at the commercial end of the market, not the bling end. Ours is actually on a 30mm raise kit to give extra ground clearance when towing/launching the boat. As already mentioned, the self levelling is the jewel in the crown. This is ours as we speak

0B36610F-8B8C-4B5F-B954-4FB626C5D677.jpeg

Is VB air programmable, in the sense that you can set what each mode is or can I be reprogrammed?

Mine is installed now, with standard settings and it’s great. The ride is much smoother and less crashy. I usually drive in sport mode, but will switch to standard mode when there are lots of speed bumps (I have got an 85l LPG tank to protect). Sport mode also seems to reduce body roll.
Park mode is pretty low for a better look when parked, and there are 2 programmable modes (though I doubt you can drive very fast with them selected). Only in Sport or Standard can you drive at any speed, off road mode is limited to 30kph, and all other modes will switch out over 10kph.

Does that mean it stops you going above 30kph in off road, or as soon as you go above 30kph it moves to Sport/Standard?

Does that mean it stops you going above 30kph in off road, or as soon as you go above 30kph it moves to Sport/Standard?

As sson as you exceed the speed threshold, it switches back to Sport/Standard.

It might be that it will always go to Standard mode - I've not checked that?

The dealer can not make it go lower with the parts that in the fitting kit but I have worked out how to make it go lower and set my standard ride height as sport from dealer and my sport mode as close bottom of the dampener for motorways as it is to hard for B-roads

Back