Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHECK YOUR LOG BOOKS V5 IF IT SAYS van is classed as N1 - commercial, so limit

M1 is classed as passenger or dual use, and so normal car speed limits apply. BUT BE CAREFUL OUT THERE
THREE POINTS AND A FINE NOT NICE,,

This is interesting. I got nicked by Transport for London for driving through Rotherhithe tunnel. I didn’t believe I was a commecial as it’s registered as a campervan. My appeal was turned down and on the phone was told it’s because it’s classed N1. I thought this was unfair as there is nothing on the sign before the tunnel, just a ban on lorries. Red circle with diagonal. So I took it to arbitration.TFL pursued this with vengance, made a special report and statement and even employed someone to deal with it. It was obvious they were using me as a test case. I’m pleased to say I finally won the case. TFL were kicking and screaming but they have now changed the signs.

This is interesting. I got nicked by Transport for London for driving through Rotherhithe tunnel. I didn’t believe I was a commecial as it’s registered as a campervan. My appeal was turned down and on the phone was told it’s because it’s classed N1. I thought this was unfair as there is nothing on the sign before the tunnel, just a ban on lorries. Red circle with diagonal. So I took it to arbitration.TFL pursued this with vengance, made a special report and statement and even employed someone to deal with it. It was obvious they were using me as a test case. I’m pleased to say I finally won the case. TFL were kicking and screaming but they have now changed the signs.
Excuse me while I pee myself laughing! Well done you!!!

Yes, buying as new and expect registration (to me, as first owner) post conversion. At what stage does a vehicle get its identity officially logged with the DVLA - is it when it is built and has a VIN or once it gets registered and the V5 created?
It's worth noting that the classification will stay as N1 on the V5 for a brand new professionally converted van. Even after the new owner has re registered it as a campervan.

Maybe compile the salient points of big threads like this and repost them every few pages?

Reactions: CAB
Do you know what the signs where changed from and to? Last I saw, they had a 2t weight limit amongst height and width restrictions, so am wondering if they’ve changed or added to these. Cheers.

Maybe compile the salient points of big threads like this and repost them every few pages?
Could the most important points be compiled into a new post, and that made non reply and sticky, then a link can be posted. People are more likely to read a 1 or 2 post thread than one with 30 pages.

Could the most important points be compiled into a new post, and that made non reply and sticky, then a link can be posted. People are more likely to read a 1 or 2 post thread than one with 30 pages.
I think by default people go to the last page of a big thread to get the answer, assuming it’ll be right there where they don’t have to wade through all the other posts - it’s human nature to ignore the smaller threads (which could be a concise summary, but are usually ended on reply two or three with a link to the larger thread) in the assumption that they don’t contain enough information.

Perhaps placing the post-number for the ‘answer’ or summary within the title would help?

Reactions: Loz
I think by default people go to the last page of a big thread to get the answer, assuming it’ll be right there where they don’t have to wade through all the other posts - it’s human nature to ignore the smaller threads (which could be a concise summary, but are usually ended on reply two or three with a link to the larger thread) in the assumption that they don’t contain enough information.

Perhaps placing the post-number for the ‘answer’ or summary within the title would help?
In that case a link to the salient point thread, and a copy of these points, could be put at the end of this thread and then this thread locked as well.

I know I am guilty of an incorrect reply to a question on speed limits for a 'Van with windows' which has a full pop-top conversion.
My suggestion is to put a new 'area' on the forum front page, between the 'New members' and 'FAQ' areas.
A read-only section with the title 'Van with windows speed limits'.
The wording would set out the point that 'Van with windows' is a classification for and on the V5 only.
If the 'van with windows' is a campervan with windows, permanently mounted bed, cooker, cupboards....etc., full campervan speed limits ( could be listed?) apply.
There should possibly be a disclaimer, a link to some definitive evidence, plus what to do if booked when adhering to campervan speed limits.

The prominent location and full facts (and read only) should substantially reduce the number of people asking the same question ( like me...!).

Reactions: CAB
I know I am guilty of an incorrect reply to a question on speed limits for a 'Van with windows' which has a full pop-top conversion.
My suggestion is to put a new 'area' on the forum front page, between the 'New members' and 'FAQ' areas.
A read-only section with the title 'Van with windows speed limits'.
The wording would set out the point that 'Van with windows' is a classification for and on the V5 only.
If the 'van with windows' is a campervan with windows, permanently mounted bed, cooker, cupboards....etc., full campervan speed limits ( could be listed?) apply.
There should possibly be a disclaimer, a link to some definitive evidence, plus what to do if booked when adhering to campervan speed limits.

The prominent location and full facts (and read only) should substantially reduce the number of people asking the same question ( like me...!).
I suggested the same for suspension.

I suggested the same for suspension.
But what is the best suspension setup and how fast can you drive with it? :p

This is good info.

I always assumed it was 90mph.

On a serious note I do 70 on a dual carriageway. I'll knock it back knowing this. Static Speed cameras don't know any different. Mobile cameras will be different.
Average speed cameras can catch you aswell, my mates a polis and he kindly informed me that when they search your reg it comes up as light good vehicle not a camper

That makes for very interesting reading thanks for sharing, I've just checked my V5 and it says taxation class - light good vehicle
Body type - Panel Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back