Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a motor caravan (doesn’t matter what class is on the DVLA database) and it can drive at car speed limits provided it’s unladen weight does not exceed 3050kgs which is fine for T6s.

58BF6979-E8F4-48C4-8F63-16373275F21D.png

The sole reason to get the DVLA to change from van with windows is so that you don’t have to flaff about defending an inappropriate prosecution issued automatically from an speed camera which wrongly uses the DVLA data base to see what speed limit applies to your vehicle.

The DVLA database has nowt to do with defining a vehicle for the purposes of speed limit legislation.

Afraid not. As a van- with- windows it is 60mph maximum on any road with a 70 limit.
Look on the bright side. It will save quite a bit of fuel.....
That is not true. ANY van can travel on a motorway at 70mph provided its being used other than to carry goods. Its also incorrect for many other reasons, some have already been mentioned.

Even if you were to have the body type changed to motor caravan which is unlikely to say the least, I think the N1 LCV classification on the logbook would be used to determine the limits and then it would be on you to show either dual purpose status or conversion to motorhome/motor caravan.

It only takes one ill-informed post and the whole thread gets repeated! It must be time for the thread to be locked as there is no changes on the horizon to affect the DVLA's stance or the procedure/criteria to appeal a ticket.

It only takes one ill-informed post and the whole thread gets repeated! It must be time for the thread to be locked as there is no changes on the horizon to affect the DVLA's stance or the procedure/criteria to appeal a ticket.
I agree, the problem is then another thread about the same would be started. Its a shame we dont have an ignore thread like some forums do.

Yup. @oldiebut goodie is correct. Only the DVLA don't recognise it as a motorcaravan but the police have apparently said they won't change their thinking. Conversation about a dozen or so pages back Hopefully they've got too much to do with Covid parties and anti vaxxers!

Ok. Apologies for getting it wrong. That was from a thread I saw on here wayback.
So my corrected understanding is that 'car' speed limits apply to my pop-top T6 and I may get speed tickets but have a case against them.
I think a sticky that comes up at the first mention of 'speed limit' or 'van with windows' making the case clear, would help avoid errors like mine.
I suppose the difficulty is writing it in such a way that the Forum team are not liable to being sued if someone else gets it wrong (e.g. causes a nasty accident and says 'the forum told me it was ok'.).

Reactions: CAB
Ok. Apologies for getting it wrong. That was from a thread I saw on here wayback.
So my corrected understanding is that 'car' speed limits apply to my pop-top T6 and I may get speed tickets but have a case against them.
I think a sticky that comes up at the first mention of 'speed limit' or 'van with windows' making the case clear, would help avoid errors like mine.
I suppose the difficulty is writing it in such a way that the Forum team are not liable to being sued if someone else gets it wrong (e.g. causes a nasty accident and says 'the forum told me it was ok'.).
To be fair, a “van with windows” isn’t necessarily a “motor Caravan”, to qualify as such, the van has to have certain internal features. It’s all in the thread if you have the patience to plough through all the static.

To be fair, a “van with windows” isn’t necessarily a “motor Caravan”, to qualify as such, the van has to have certain internal features. It’s all in the thread if you have the patience to plough through all the static.
Don’t forget it could also qualify as a multi purpose vehicle to get car speed limits.

No slight intended towards Andy Short but erroneous statements posted as fact just add to the confusion.
Maybe these posts should be hidden, removed or somehow marked as factually incorrect?
The definitive answers to 'class of vehicle' questions are all here and should be well-known by now :)

Quick point I was mulling over the other day. I have a Kombi that with all the mass in service calcs classes me as a dual purpose vehicle. But on a few occasions I've taken the rear seats out to carry something big like furniture, and I have to remember that I'm back to normal van speed limits

I sometimes take one seat out from the rear (the single from my 2+1) so I can put my MTB in whole and still fold the seats for the bed I use in the back. Presumably I still count as a dual purpose vehicle then? The rules just says a row of seats, doesn't say how many.

So if I leave the single in am I back to normal van speed limits?

So if I leave the single in am I back to normal van speed limits?

Yes, I would say so in my opinion. The regs have all the answers contained within them. I quote a section from the regs for the definition of a dual purpose vehicle: "....be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle"

But I guess if you are caught by camera, how are they going to know how many seats were in it at that particular point in time?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, so a Caravelle which is M1 classed with all of it's rear seats removed???

Yes, I would say so in my opinion. The regs have all the answers contained within them. I quote a section from the regs for the definition of a dual purpose vehicle: "....be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle"

But I guess if you are caught by camera, how are they going to know how many seats were in it at that particular point in time?

Thanks, I hadn't seen that bit of the regs. Pretty clear and helpful! Need to leave the two seater bit in if I want to travel at normal speeds

Caravelle with seats out still counts as a car I guess, just like taking seats out of a car. Motor home with removable contents so you can take a trip to the tip is different again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back