Deviant Tubs

T6 Guru
Hi all!

I'm in the process of deciding what extra bits and pieces are going into my T6.1 conversion and I arrived at the subject of 12v/USB power supply.

I've been speaking with the company that will be doing the build and so far I'm thinking...

2x 240v Sockets
2x USB Sockets (Each with 2x ports)
2x 12v Sockets (Cigarette lighter style)

However... My big question to everyone is... Rather than the USB ports, should I just opt for additional 12v Sockets instead?

My thinking is that the 12v socket is more universal and future proof. Surely just put a USB adapter on it and you're good to go? Or am I missing something? Would the Voltage be affected? Is there a downside to using the adapters does anyone know?

Given that VW now supply the t6.1 with USB-C ports on the dash and that most of the new hardware from Apple these days is exclusively USB-C, surely the USB-A is not long for this world?

Any thoughts would be incredibly welcome and helpful!

Also, a bit of a side note this, but as I'm asking..
How much do people actually use their 240v plugs? Me and the misses have never camped with a hookup before so it's difficult to imagine how useful they'll be. But I didn't want to be without so I've kept them on the build sheet.

Perhaps I'd be better off swapping one of the 2x 240v sockets on my build sheet for another 12v?

I had 240v sockets in my old van and never used them once. In my current van I have 240v but only to charge the leisure battery. There are no sockets. I have 4 12v sockets and the only one I ever use is in the boot for my fridge (I’m a day van not a full on camper) I have 5 USB sockets and they’re used all the time, phones, portable speakers, garmin, wifi, mozzie lights, you name it most things are USB chargeable. Granted I may need to change one to a USB C in the near future but that will only be a couple of minutes job.

We never use the 12v socket we have. Like Deaky, we only use the USB outlets.
We have a 240v socket (full camper conversion), and it gets used for a heater in the van on cold nights when on hookup.

Pete

Our 12v sockets have USB adapters plugged in all the time. However, I’ve just got a portable pressure washer for cleaning bikes, which will be using the 12v socket in future.

240v socket I used for electric heater on hookup before I put a diesel in, and occasionally for laptop charging. Next van will have QuickCharge USB C, so 240v socket will have v little use.

I have 3 x 240V sockets, 2x USB, and 1 cigarette. The portable fridge is connected to one of the 240v and the cigarette sockets as it automatically switches between the two depending if I’m on EHU or mobile (travelvolts provided the 12v kit for the fridge). I do have a diesel heater but also take an oil filled rad in winter as we find it easier and more flexible to have the oil filled rad on if we are spending a lot of time in the van. The others are taken up with phones or the laptop so I pretty much use everything. My advice would be think carefully about how you want to use the van as I find I want different configurations depending on time of year and if we are doing a touring trip or staying on a site for several days.

In a similar vein to previous comments, I use the USB sockets the most and would consider adding a few USB C sockets if specking today. I hate the 12v socket - its an awful design - but it does has its uses for things such as fridges and pressure washers. My 240v sockets are only used for a oil filled radiator when on EHU, though I have also plugged a battery tender in (charging through the dash top 12v socket) when the van is parked up for a while and on EHU at home.

Just have to watch that most USB sockets have a parasitic load. The two I fitted are on ignition switched circuits.

Since fitting the LiFePO4 180amp Smart BMS Motorhome/camper van battery sub seat battery, I have fitted already 3 x 240 volt sockets and 3 x USB to camper van.

I also fitted an inverter wired to a H-Tronic switching station MPC1000 1114530, so all 240volt are live, however if I use the EHU socket to campsite it switches off the power from the inverter (should I forget)......... (having said that to date not needed campsite EHU)

We now use 240volt stuff like wife hairdryer, straighteners and Remoska cooker, and small fan for pets. As for USB.... changing phones, iPad and computer.

Link:

Rarely on a campsite and when we are it’s mains voltage for a toothbrush charger.
Would I install mains voltage sockets now? Yes because it’s peanuts compared with the total build cost and priorities / owners will change.
I use 12v sockets for the portable shower and air compressor, everything else is on USB.
Location of all of these sockets is key, give it some thought and don’t be driven by the converter, they won’t be using the van.

Kettle, toaster, laptop, led coloured light rope, toothbrush charger, Ctek MXS 5.0 starter battery charger in the winter.

USB
Phones, tablets, speaker, GPS

12v
Not got one, but maybe camera charger if we had.

If we’re on hookup, we use the 240 all the time. Kettle, heater, electric blanket in winter. Can’t see the point in using my gas & diesel when I’ve got hookup.
We have a mix of 12V sockets & USB & probably use the USB more, but I’d still want a couple of 12V sockets too. In the big scheme, it’s all peanuts & you may as well have all the options available & cover all eventualities.

If we’re on hookup, we use the 240 all the time. Kettle, heater, electric blanket in winter. Can’t see the point in using my gas & diesel when I’ve got hookup.
We have a mix of 12V sockets & USB & probably use the USB more, but I’d still want a couple of 12V sockets too. In the big scheme, it’s all peanuts & you may as well have all the options available & cover all eventualities.
Good point - and electric blanket in the winter.. That's a brilliant idea!

It's interesting to hear how popular the 240v option is - I didn't think mine would get much usage but you all make some very good points and I can definitely see myself using the EHU in many of the ways mentioned above.

Also... I spoke to the misses as well and she said having access to a hairdryer would make or break her enjoyment of being away - so I guess that helps 'tip the scales' a little bit haha

I’d be going 12 sockets then getting plug in fast charge USB adapters.
That was my thinking - at least then you have the flexibility of swapping out depending on your needs.

Does know if its possible to get the 40W fast charge feature on a twin USB socket?

I fit 2x 12V sockets.

The one near the back seat has never been used, waste of time! The other is on the rear of the passenger seat base, and gets used all the time for awning lights, inflatable kayak pump, airbed pump etc etc.

I'm no fan of the design of the standard 12V car socket. Mine are the modular CBE ones and I find them especially bad, hard to get connected, and then they self-disconnect at the slightest wiggle. The OEM ones in the T6.1 don't have this problem, so I know the fault lies with the CBE socket.

On the USB-C vs USB-A debate, I know I'll be using both for ages yet, the gear I have with USB-A plugs will last me for years.

That was my thinking - at least then you have the flexibility of swapping out depending on your needs.

Does know if its possible to get the 40W fast charge feature on a twin USB socket?
The usual usb sockets are generally 2.1a max. Never seen any high power ones.

Good point - and electric blanket in the winter.. That's a brilliant idea!
We use the leccy blanket in the Alps when we’re skiing. Most EHUs are restricted to 3A in the alps to stop you from using heaters all day. The blanket only uses 0.5A so we have it on all night. Got it from Aldi for £20. Lidl have had some in recently.

Last edited:
Rarely on a campsite and when we are it’s mains voltage for a toothbrush charger.
Would I install mains voltage sockets now? Yes because it’s peanuts compared with the total build cost and priorities / owners will change.
I use 12v sockets for the portable shower and air compressor, everything else is on USB.
Location of all of these sockets is key, give it some thought and don’t be driven by the converter, they won’t be using the van.
Vouch for that, I thought I had a decent mix of 12v, uses and 240 sockets spread around, however my sink tap runs off 12v as does the fridge/coolbox so I'm a socket short in that area. Just fitted a socket doubler....

Back