Modify Kenwood USB-C Adapter DMX8021DABS for USB Dashboard

Tanstalf

T6 Pro
Doing my first build post, which will hopefully help others.

I have a T6 T28 S-Line and purchased a

Kenwood DMX8021DABS​

on fleaBay at what I thought was a good price. I liked the spec, especially the update to USB-C.

The Kenwood comes with a USB-C cable and USB-C male to USB-A female adapter. I had planned to present a USB-C in the dashboard (might do this later) but in the end just used the parts in the box.

Step 1 - Remove the old USB-A

Pry out the USB Socket from the dash with trim tools and unplug the connector. We won't be using it, so secure this connector so it won't rattle about.

Push in the clips on either side of the dash housing and remove the old USB fitting.

1000018283.jpg

Last edited:
Step 2 Save the surround.

Carefully raise the four clips on both sides. They break real.easy, so take care.

1000018284.jpg

Remove the old USB fitting. You won't need it again, so use it as a keyring or earrings.

1000018286.jpg

Step 3 Prepare the new USB adapter

You will see that the new Kenwood USB-C adapter is too large to fit.

1000018289.jpg
1000018290.jpg

You will.need a Stanley knife for the next part and a bit of patience.

Slowly strip away the rubber outer sleeve from the adapter. Don't worry about how as you will bin it when removed.

1000018299.jpg

At the USB-C end, cut off about 2mm. You will be cutting the white inner part. Take care not to.damage the USB-C male connector.

1000018300.jpg

When the outer rubber sleeve was removed, I had to sand down the two sides a tiny amount to make the adapter fit without bending the housing.

Last edited:
Step 4 Stick it in

Here is what I ended up with.
1000018306.jpg

When fitting, make sure the USB-C part is in the middle of the housing (it can be put in two ways).I used a bit of Epoxy glue to make sure there was no movement.

1000018313.jpg

1000018314.jpg

Finally pop it back into the original dash panel housing.

Back