Upping Van Security

How does this prevent the ECU/BCM reflash hacks that some scumbags use to take you motor?

Simple, CAN bus messages have priorities. the highest priority message will always take center stage..... regardless of the ECU fitted. if the CAN bus messages are saying "shut engine down, disengage clutch, enable ABS locking, disable fuel pump,etc etc etc" then even with a swapped ECU the end result will be the same . . . . a shut down engine and locked breaks as all modules are listening to the CAN bus.

But thats a CAN based immobilizer . . . the traditional immobilizer uses one or more "cuts" to disable various functions that enable starting the motor. such as starter motor/fuel lift pump/electronic main fuel pump/ignition supply/starter relay etc etc etc. If you had this fitted then the only way around it is to spend time removing panels and tracing wires to override this type of immobilizer.

The advantage of the Ghost is that there are no wires to follow to find cuts, its tiny and can be hidden anywhere, its just not worth the time involved to override it.

agreed these measures will only slow down a determined thief, and they easiest way would be to just lift the van..... But if you want to make it difficult for them then this is what you have to do.

As Loz says, so far im not aware of a BLACK BOX OBD2 hack for this van.... Or even a ECU swap yet as you need to swap multiple encrypted modules . . . . There is no Key-less entry (relay attack) to worry about, and thankfully we have an actual Key and steering wheel lock... which is all great.

so all the above measures is just for a bit of piece of mind and hopefully will make the scumbags think again and just move on to some other poor sods motor .

@Dellmassive - totally agree, multiple layers of security is the way to go. For info, your Stoplock Pro is not fitted correctly - the idea is to try and span both sides of one of the radial arms - in doing so you make it even more difficult by meaning that any would be thief has to cut the steering wheel in at least 2 places, further slowing them down.

LOL, oh yeh

thanks for that, didnt think it was gonna fit . . . . . . but it does

1.jpg

Had a really good chat with a good motorhome security guy locally today. Couple of points from that worth sharing:

Trackers : Don't write them off - particularly the cheaper self-tracking options. Apparently the monitored ones will often block you from tracking when you report it taken. Self trackers don't. There is some evidence that the police are more likely to respond to "My van has been stolen and I'm tracking it. I told a bunch of angry forum people where it is hoping that one of them might get a picture of the driver or something. It sounds like some of them might confront the driver. I hope that you don't have a safeguarding issue as I know how you have to prioritise them"

Immobilisers : He's another fan of ghost. Also suggested cheap "hidden switches" as a cost effective option if that is a consideration. Again, his advice is not to write them off for being simple - there are a thousand places you can hide them.

Alarms (not really mentioned much above). Particularly useful against driveway thefts as you might ignore someone else's alarm, but unlikely to ignore you own! Having bought used I have to admit that I don't really know what type of alarm I have or actually what it sounds like. Job for morning: test alarm, do I also have internal movement sensors. Short discussion about fixing this if not and also possible advantages of having alarm upgrades and mobile phone alert.

Stickers notifying about security upgrades: Useful for opportunistic thefts, but our vans are probably targeted so maybe less so

Also went through options around EBD port then we got onto silly money stuff and I changed the subject :D

Trackers : Don't write them off - particularly the cheaper self-tracking options. Apparently the monitored ones will often block you from tracking when you report it taken. Self trackers don't. There is some evidence that the police are more likely to respond to "My van has been stolen and I'm tracking it. I told a bunch of angry forum people where it is hoping that one of them might get a picture of the driver or something. It sounds like some of them might confront the driver. I hope that you don't have a safeguarding issue as I know how you have to prioritise them"
Think of this like the police who were not interested in an iPad theft.
Police: sorry its low value, just claim on your insurance
You: its okay, I have it tracked and me a few mates are going round to that location and going to beat the crap out of them and get it back
Police: what is the location?

so, not got the van yet, but already got a stoplock pro and just received my clutch claw
one thing i am surprised, is the key of the clutch claw is of the cylindrical type! ...
I thought those were insecure?

I notice there's no mention here of deadlocks - the locks4vans type.

I was thinking of getting them installed so to up the security.

I've seen that vid on the Audi...

I think it's a fittment issue...

I tried the same on the T6 20-30 times untill I got bored and nothing happened.

So let's see if other ghost users and try the same as the above and see if the ghost fails?

Calling all ghost users !

So let's see if other ghost users and try the same as the above and see if the ghost fails?

Tried mine when this video first emerged a couple of years ago and unable to replicate - most probably a dodgy install and/or someone trying to flog an alternative. Quite a bit of discussion here:- Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

Good to know. I've got deadlocks and a tracker, but this Ghost thing looks much better.

I don't think anyone would be interested in what's in my van (no tools or anything that could be sold at the local car boot) so I'm more worried about theft of the entire thing.

I won't get deadlocks on my T6.1 - a friend of mine had them and they still got in, but made a huge mess and cost him more in repairs.

Sure that video was debated on here before and the general concensus was that it was BS

Back