Underslung Water Tank, In Front Of Spare Wheel.

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm about to start fitting my water tank under my lwb T6 (tsi if that makes any difference).

I've gone for the 60l one that fits in front of the spare wheel from autocraft.

Just looking for a bit of inspiration.in regards to fitting and running of pipes.

So off the tank I will need a 40mm fill, an outlet to my shurflo pump and a vent? I'm going to put the filler in the rear of the furniture section, adjacent to a shower outlet.

Does anyone bother insulating the under chassis water tanks?

Any pics and tips greatly appreciated.

I've got a 60 litre underslung tank that came with the camper conversion and apart from having little idea of how much water is on board after a few squirts the major headache is not being able to wind the B14s below halfway down before the huge hex nut inspection lid drags along the ground... it's 80mm above the road when dry and unladen!:oops:

No insulation and should run some sanitiser through it.

I've got a 60 litre underslung tank that came with the camper conversion and apart from having little idea of how much water is on board after a few squirts the major headache is not being able to wind the B14s below halfway down before the huge hex nut inspection lid drags along the ground... it's 80mm above the road when dry and unladen!:oops:

No insulation and should run some sanitiser through it.

Screenshot_2019-08-25-00-18-46-610.jpeg

@Stay Frosty
Not this type is it?
I'm running b14's and will be dropping it right down. I'll have to offer the tank up in the morn and see what the clearance is like.

I’ve just fitted the CAK tank for that space ... smaller capacity...but pipe work mostly goes above all the trim and heat shields apart from the drain hose. That’s still well clear of the ground when I dump alll the air in suspension which is lower than you could run a van.

My shower outlet and sink outlet need a waste tank - converter thinks that it is OK for grey water to be dumped anywhere so I am interested in what fits. My fresh water tank is inboard.

I reckon it's that tank... sorry... looks like neither of us will be allowed into the low rider section of the forum.

Don't get me wrong as long as you don't need to go over a speed hump or mount the kerb there shouldn't be a problem... or fill the water and fuel tanks... adblu tank... carry a full gas bottle or eat a large meal and obviously no passengers... don't do any of these and you could possibly get towards the lower end of the B14 threads!

My shower outlet and sink outlet need a waste tank - converter thinks that it is OK for grey water to be dumped anywhere so I am interested in what fits. My fresh water tank is inboard.
My fresh water tank is inboard and my waste is where the spare wheel would normall go

I reckon it's that tank... sorry... looks like neither of us will be allowed into the low rider section of the forum.

Don't get me wrong as long as you don't need to go over a speed hump or mount the kerb there shouldn't be a problem... or fill the water and fuel tanks... adblu tank... carry a full gas bottle or eat a large meal and obviously no passengers... don't do any of these and you could possibly get towards the lower end of the B14 threads!
I don't know, I have a pretty low waste tank underneath at the back and my B14s are down most of the way. Never had any problems with speed bumps or kerbs and it is often on very rough and rutted farm tracks.

Oh not great then. Do you have any pics to hand at all, to see how low it fits? Not sure if I'll get chance to try it today.

I don't know, I have a pretty low waste tank underneath at the back and my B14s are down most of the way. Never had any problems with speed bumps or kerbs and it is often on very rough and rutted farm tracks.

Sounds a little more promising. How much below the spare wheel does it hang?

Shower outlet?

Yes, just a cold feed shower outlet. I'm hoping the shurflo will be powerful enough so that I can wash sandy/muddy kids/dogs/bikes (delete as appropriate) hence the want for a larger water tank.

My waste tank is under right hand skirt and the outlet ( left slightly open to allow slow drain cough cough ) is still above the bottom of the side bars... it might be possible to combine both tanks for fresh ( or add 1 under driver seat ) to get to 50 litre +

It's tight... that's a size 7 Adidas Bamba trainer, wheels are 18", 20's might be better for a full arch and similar ground clearance?

20190825_154736.jpg

20190825_154759.jpg

My fresh water tank is inboard and my waste is where the spare wheel would normall go
My spare wheel is where the spare wheel goes! Gas tank in front of it. I've got to go along the nearside as my heater and ducting is on the offside.

Cut cap off. Plastic weld a plate over hole. Left field thought.

@andys don't you find that the end of your spout drags on the floor or occasionally gets caught on a sleeping policeman?:rolleyes:

I can't help feeling that even with no spout and only one unfeasibly large nut I'm still going to come unstuck mounting a kerb...:oops:

@andys don't you find that the end of your spout drags on the floor or occasionally gets caught on a sleeping policeman?:rolleyes:

I can't help feeling that even with no spout and only one unfeasibly large nut I'm still going to come unstuck mounting a kerb...:oops:
Slight fisheye and parallax effects in that photo, the spout is actually fractionally higher than the bottom of the tank, but no, never ever had any touchdown, there just isn’t enough suspension travel for that to happen. I live in a rural area, drive through field tracks and wild park in rough, bumpy and out of the way locations, so if it doesn’t cause me a problem it’s not going to cause issues in normal use. The van is dropped 65mm and the clearance under the tank is 102mm. I was behind a Range Rover Sport tatmobile yesterday and noticed all the gubbins that hung down around the lower axle gave it probably less ground clearance than mine!

Back