Underslung Water Tank And Shower Option

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone fitted and have experience of using an underslung water tank like this?
60 Litre Water Tank Kit for VW Transporter T5 Campervan Fresh/Waste Water Set-Up | eBay

I want to run a kitchen tap and then a spray washer from the rear of the van, (aka Three Bridges setup).
After some investigation I assume I need an onboard 12v pressure sensitive water pump with two outlets - one going to the tap and the other to the shower connector.

Thanks
Ollie.

Just google Shurflo pumps I use one with a flow switch. The system is always pressurised when switched on, as soon as the pressure drops the pumps kicks in.

One outlet from tank to pump then pump to all outlets. I run cold and hot via a mini cylinder to sink and rear shower outlet, works a treat.

I’m running an over arch tank but the principle is the same.

No micro switches needed at the outlets either, I just have an isolator front and rear should the tank run dry.

HTH

The other way of doing it is a microswitch tap for the sink and a override switch for the rear water outlet. Can't remeber the name at the moment but there is a switched water outlet that can be bought or fit your own switch

Has anyone fitted and have experience of using an underslung water tank like this?
60 Litre Water Tank Kit for VW Transporter T5 Campervan Fresh/Waste Water Set-Up | eBay

I want to run a kitchen tap and then a spray washer from the rear of the van, (aka Three Bridges setup).
After some investigation I assume I need an onboard 12v pressure sensitive water pump with two outlets - one going to the tap and the other to the shower connector.

Thanks
Ollie.

I found that one sat a little low for my liking, it's the big drain/access cover that does it. It was also very close to my rear wheel (10.5" wide though) when I offered it up but it probably wasn't sat in the correct position.

I've gone for an onboard tank that sits in front of the rear wheel arch (it's a Cali one), I run the tap off the in tank pump and the shower outlet off the shurflo, cold water only (but mine isn't for showering me, mainly washing bikes and sandy dogs/feet).

IMG_20190826_120526.jpg

Probably not as bad as I remember but it does obviously sit below the spare wheel. I'm sure I've read a thread on here where someone has clouted theirs though.

I've got that bloody great big nut on the bottom of my underslung tank but on mine it was the moulded drain plug outlet just in front that scraped on a speed cushion... the van runs B14s and 18" wheels and that big nut is 78mm above the road surface when the van is unladen but was full when it scraped.:eek:

View attachment 65247

Probably not as bad as I remember but it does obviously sit below the spare wheel. I'm sure I've read a thread on here where someone has clouted theirs though.
Thanks for the picture @j4ckal, helps me visualise. That empty drain plug does sit rather low. The one I saw had a low profile version.
I too won't have a hot water source, so similar setup where I want a shower for washing dog/ muddy boots etc..
You have a submerged pump in the tank and a Shurflo? I thought you could run both off the same pump? What pressure version of the Shurflo did you go for?

Thanks

Thanks for the picture @j4ckal, helps me visualise. That empty drain plug does sit rather low. The one I saw had a low profile version.
I too won't have a hot water source, so similar setup where I want a shower for washing dog/ muddy boots etc..
You have a submerged pump in the tank and a Shurflo? I thought you could run both off the same pump? What pressure version of the Shurflo did you go for?

Thanks
I’ve just bought the same water tank as that... I e gone for a shurflo 7 litre a min pump... it’s more than adequate I’ve been told. im looking for the same strapping kit you got for yours, any clues where to buy one?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I’ve bought some Jbolts from eBay. These are used for roofing traditionally- but an easy way got secure the tank.
when I get round to fitting I’ll add some photos of the process.
what’s your setup Jim? What other piping did you invest in?
E702CF22-A5E9-4FDC-A926-F6FF9D4182C2.jpeg

I’ve bought some Jbolts from eBay. These are used for roofing traditionally- but an easy way got secure the tank.
when I get round to fitting I’ll add some photos of the process.
what’s your setup Jim? What other piping did you invest in?
View attachment 66290
Yeah I’m a builder by trade and was thinking along those lines myself... I bought a 2m length of 40mm flexible pipe with a view of attaching it to drivers side rear quarter next to a 240v hookup point. It’s going to be a bit tricky running the pipe down and through the floor missing the exhaust but I think I might of found a route hopefully... any other pictures of people running their pipes from the rear quarter would be appreciated

Yeah I’m a builder by trade and was thinking along those lines myself... I bought a 2m length of 40mm flexible pipe with a view of attaching it to drivers side rear quarter next to a 240v hookup point. It’s going to be a bit tricky running the pipe down and through the floor missing the exhaust but I think I might of found a route hopefully... any other pictures of people running their pipes from the rear quarter would be appreciated
Are you just running the tap from the Shurflo?
I'm planning on having the filler at the rear of the wardrobe section by the barn door, plus a plug-in hand washer of some description.

Are you just running the tap from the Shurflo?
I'm planning on having the filler at the rear of the wardrobe section by the barn door, plus a plug-in hand washer of some description.
I’m only going to run the sink tap for the time being but I’m looking to add a shower point to the rear later on... I think it will be a pretty easy mod once complete but want to see how I will use it first... you won’t run sink and shower at the same time I doubt so 7 litres a minute is fine I’d say

Just google Shurflo pumps I use one with a flow switch. The system is always pressurised when switched on, as soon as the pressure drops the pumps kicks in.

One outlet from tank to pump then pump to all outlets. I run cold and hot via a mini cylinder to sink and rear shower outlet, works a treat.

I’m running an over arch tank but the principle is the same.

No micro switches needed at the outlets either, I just have an isolator front and rear should the tank run dry.

HTH
Hi
I'm looking to similar, where have fitted the mini cylinder ?

Thanks
Ollie.
I have a similar tank without the section at the front. Stock T32 running gear and 17” 215 tyres. It’s fine, I can reach under the van to drain the tank, that said the pump removes all but approx the last 0.2L.
D3E38BB2-2E8D-46E0-B987-39B90B5686A8.jpeg

I know this is an old thread... but anyone got photos of the plumbing under the van where pipes were run and what outlets inlets to use on this same tank, I've just purchased one,

I know this is an old thread... but anyone got photos of the plumbing under the van where pipes were run and what outlets inlets to use on this same tank, I've just purchased one,
I would be interested in this also

Back