Tyre Wear on outer edge

Dave Coughlan

T6 Pro
Hi all, Front left eating the outside of the tyre. Tracking and pressure are 100 %. Any ideas anyone ? 2017 T6 4 motion 12000km on Devonports. Thanks

Your steering geometry may well be spot on....now.

But has it been spot on from the very start when the tyre was first fitted.

The typically scenario is when uneven wear happens before tracking etc is set up but only becomes really obvious much later in the tyres life as the tread gets low.

Hi all, Front left eating the outside of the tyre. Tracking and pressure are 100 %. Any ideas anyone ? 2017 T6 4 motion 12000km on Devonports. Thanks
Hi Dave,

I had the same problem. The suspension rubber bushes are to soft. I replaced them with harder bushes and it changed everything. The van drives and handles like it should now. And the tyre wear also stopped. And I had to fix it myself VW Australia together with several dealerships couldn't or didn't want to solve the problem for me. The vehicle is only one year old and still under warranty, what a joke and disgrace!

Cheers,

Hermann

Hi all,

Just wondered whether anyone else was having issue's with excessive wear on the outside edge of the n/s/f tyre on their T6's?

I fitted a set of 18" Sportline alloys with 235/50-18 Falken Ziex XL tyre's 2000 miles ago to my T30 102 panel van and the outer edge of my n/s/f tyre is more than half worn and the tread on that outer 25mm has 'feathered' away.

I had the van 4 wheel aligned when the new wheels were fitted and all is as per Vw setting's. I haven't been bouncing it up kerbs nor been through any great pothole's so I'm really frustrated by the state of the tyre.

My previous 5.1 used to wear the n/s/f tyre quicker than others but the tyre's still lasted 20k +.

Just wondered if anyone else had had this issue and how they corrected it?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Just wondered whether anyone else was having issue's with excessive wear on the outside edge of the n/s/f tyre on their T6's?

I fitted a set of 18" Sportline alloys with 235/50-18 Falken Ziex XL tyre's 2000 miles ago to my T30 102 panel van and the outer edge of my n/s/f tyre is more than half worn and the tread on that outer 25mm has 'feathered' away.

I had the van 4 wheel aligned when the new wheels were fitted and all is as per Vw setting's. I haven't been bouncing it up kerbs nor been through any great pothole's so I'm really frustrated by the state of the tyre.

My previous 5.1 used to wear the n/s/f tyre quicker than others but the tyre's still lasted 20k +.

Thanks.

Is your van lowered? was it a hunters 4 wheel alignment and are all tyre pressures the same?

Van is running standard ride height, all I did was take off the Clayton 16" wheels and bolt on the Sportline's.

I'll hunt out the paperwork from the alignment check and upload later.

Thanks.

My t6 got thru 3 sets of fronts so far only done 18k miles !!
Lowered and 18 “wolf race assassins

I had a look at my tyres today and was really suprised to see that both rear tyres have worn really badly on the outside, Both front tyres which are the same brand as the rear are still perfect.

The van has 37,000 miles and was serviced when I bought it at 30,000 miles.

I would really appreciate any ideas or advice that folks could offer

A few pics please..

Shoulder wear on a tyre could be under inflation.... poor tracking..... incorrect toe angle......faulty shock...

Front tyres always wear quicker than rears due to braking and steering....

But don't forget the tyres may have been rotated front to rear prior to you getting the van.

Hi all,

Thanks.
I think you need to make alignment for your tyres.You may turn to this article.Alignment of your tyres,you konw? - Chinautospares|Professional tyres autoparts supplier

This picture was a £190 per corner 19" Goodyear Eagle F1 after 4000 miles. After some investigations with suspension etc, it turned out I had the tyre pressures too high. The problem when fitting different sized wheels and tyres to factory, is there's no stipulated tyre pressure, and it depends on a multitude of factors, including the suspension set-up, what you carry, how you drive etc. I ran my rears at 50psi and it did what you can see in the photo. I now run my 19's at 43psi all round, and the rears still look like new after 8000 miles.

I know that's not relevant to the OP's initial question, but worth noting that it takes some adjustments to get things right.

20180914_074446.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks.
Hi

I feel your pain. I have a T6 Caravelle from new with no mods to the stock 17’ wheels or suspension. I have had the same n/s/f tyre wear issue since I rolled it out of the showroom. The front n/s/f front only lasts a year and covers an average 8k miles and I change them as a pair each time. I get the wheels aligned every time and it doesn’t ever throw up any alignment issues. Tyre pressures are fine and don’t seem to change with time. I seem to constantly have a slight right steering input which explains the wear.
I have come to terms with this being ‘normal’ for this vehicle, though obviously I’m not happy with it. The reason may be the roads I drive on and the camber of them, though this is not that noticeable to be fair.
I’m not convinced the manufacturers settings for wheel alignment suit UK roads, and wonder if our euro friends see excessive wear on their front right corners.
Just a thought.

I ran sportlines with 255 45 18 40mm H&R springs and hunter alignment by myself to standard settings for 12k miles on Nexen Nfera Su1 and wore the fronts down to 2mm evenly across the tread. No excessive wear at all rear still had 5mm on factory kombi so no weight in the rear.
I find manufacturers tyre pressure setting for unloaded vehicles is to low and always causes excessive wear on the edges.
I would rather run a slightly higher pressure and it wears the tyre evenly
I don't hang around either, driven quite hard.

In the UK, this is usually caused by our clockwise roundabouts - the NSF takes most of the load when negotiating these so just take them slower and smoother and your tyres will last longer.

Back