Lowering & 4-wheel Laser Alignment - How I Done It -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Lowering & 4-Wheel laser alignment - How I Done It -

Another constant HOT TOPIC is lowering, B14`s Elbracs etc etc

So lets take some time as see what its all about.

Steering Geometry is Very important for the life of your tyres and the safety and handling of your van. A poorly setup geometry can cause poor Tyre contact with the road, excessive trye wear and a big headache.

If you just dropped the van with a lowering kit of new springs and shocks then yes the geometry may be out and front camber & toe may be out.

But. . . . . . . .

This is where the 4 wheel laser alignment comes into play..

The camber, caster, toe, rake adjustments are then made to bring the geometry back into spec..(on some motors)

But... there is only a certain amount of adjustment that can be made... if your at the max of the adjustment then you may end up with a out of range Toe, camber Etc..

But.... some motors/vans only have SOME of the adjustments. The toe angle on the rear of the T6 can be adjusted but not the camber or caster. Saying that the way the rear lover wish bone is layed out the camber and caster should not change as the van is lowered. (The rear wishbone rotation point is left to right across the van and not front to back(which would change the angle))

Same for the front. The toe can be adjusted from the track Rod ends. But the factory camber can caster looks to be set by the actual strut length and linkages.

So it depends if the aftermarket kit has provisions for any caster or camber adjustment. .

Lets have a look at the official information taken from Elsawin.

1.JPG

Test prerequisites
l Check suspension, wheel bearings, steering and steering linkage for excessive play and damage.
l Tread depth difference does not exceed 2 mm on one axle.
l Check prescribed inflation pressure of tyres.
l Ensure vehicle is unladen.
l Fuel tank must be full.
l The spare tyre and vehicle tool set must be secured at the specified locations in the vehicle.
l The washer fluid reservoir must be full.
l When checking wheel alignment, ensure that sliding plates and turn tables are not touching end stop.
hinweis.gif
Note
t To allow running gear to »fully settle«, wheel alignment should not be checked before the vehicle has completed 1000 to 2000 km.
t When making adjustments, try to adhere to the relevant specifications precisely.
t Refer to the user's manual of the equipment maker for proper attachment and adjustment of the measuring devices.
t Wheel alignment platforms and alignment units and computers should be checked and adjusted as necessary during inspection and maintenance at least once per year!
t Handle these highly sensitive measuring devices carefully and conscientiously.

Now Lets look at the Actual Front & Rear setup.

FRONT:
Camber & Caster is not adjustable.!
Adjusting camber at front wheels
hinweis.gif
Note
t It is not possible to adjust camber of front wheels!
t If the measured values are outside the allowed tolerance, camber can only be corrected by renewing the affected axle components.

2.JPG

Adjusting front axle toe
Required special tools, test and measuring devices as well as auxiliary items
Before carrying out the adjustments, turn the steering to the centre position as requested by the wheel alignment computer.
t Procedure for adjusting toe on front axle is explained for left track rod. Setting must be performed on right side as well if necessary.
– Loosen lock nut -1- while counterholding track rod ball joint -4-.

REAR:
Camber & Caster is not adjustable.!

3.JPG

Adjusting toe at rear axle
Required special tools, test and measuring devices as well as auxiliary items
t Torque wrench -V.A.G 1332/-
Note
t Note that loosened nuts and bolts must be renewed.
t Do not tighten the threaded connection until the vehicle is standing on its wheels in unladen state or, if the vehicle is raised, it is brought to the unladen position.
Unscrew nut -1-.
– Remove eccentric bolt and renew with new eccentric bolt → Electronic Parts Catalogue (ETKA).
– Do not tighten eccentric bolt yet.
– Turn eccentric bolt -2- until specification is attained.
– Tighten nut -1-.

**********************************************************************************

So thats the Offical word on the situaltion . . . . . . . . But what does that mean in real life?

well lets look at our T6 as an example. its a T32 PV with factory sportline suspension.

we put it on the laser alignment machine to see what the Factory set-up was and get a baseline . . . . The results were disappointing to say the least.

20180907_131624(0).jpg

scan2.jpg

The results showed that the factory setup was out slightly . . . . . The recomendation was to have the rear toe adjusted.

This is how they done it, as per Elsawin the rear wishbone locking nut was loosened and the cam adjuster was tweeked, one way, then the other whilst constantly watching the computer screen at the live readout. first onside, then the other, then back again.

20180907_130941.jpg

20180907_131308.jpg

The results were live and shown on the computer screen . . . .

20180907_131442.jpg

8pics limit so continued below . . . . . .

More info over here > Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
The fronts were next . . . .

again only the toe was adjustable . . . via the track rod ends.

20180907_131509.jpg

The tech hooked up to the van was impressive and showed the very slightest of adjustments . . .

20180907_131435.jpg

20180907_131559.jpg

so what was the results?

well after the guys adjusting things up we had this . . . .

scan1.jpg

While speaking them about camber and caster they mentioned that these two setting were not adjustable on the rear of the van (as elsawin said)

and that fitting lowering kit would not effect the rear camber or caster as the rear wishbone rotation point was across the van . . . . . so basically the rear body of the van would just come down but the wheel would stay straight.

as for the fronts . . . . that was not so clear. There was some mention about aftermarket kits having a adjuster at the top of the strut tower mount to compensate for the sight camber change but the answer was not 100% clear. Fact was that the factory setup was not adjust able,. The idea was that most aftermarket kits may change the camber . . . . slightly . . . . . but they should still be withing spec.

SO that was the word then . . . .

20180907_132149.jpg

This is where we went . . . . .

20180907_131736.jpg

Total time taken : 1 hour

Total cost : £75

Here are some extra pics . . . . .

20180907_130936.jpg

20180907_131006.jpg

Thats my pic limit again . . . . . =[

I hope that clears things up and answers some questions you may have.

anything I've missed? comment below.

Have a great day =]

Last edited:
The fronts were next . . . .

again only the toe was adjustable . . . via the track rod ends.

View attachment 28111

The tech hooked up to the van was impressive and showed the very slightest of adjustments . . .

View attachment 28112

View attachment 28113

so what was the results?

well after the guys adjusting things up we had this . . . .

View attachment 28114

While speaking them about camber and caster they mentioned that these two setting were not adjustable on the rear of the van (as elsawin said)

and that fitting lowering kit would not effect the rear camber or caster as the rear wishbone rotation point was across the van . . . . . so basically the rear body of the van would just come down but the wheel would stay straight.

as for the fronts . . . . that was not so clear. There was some mention about aftermarket kits having a adjuster at the top of the strut tower mount to compensate for the sight camber change but the answer was not 100% clear. Fact was that the factory setup was not adjust able,. The idea was that most aftermarket kits may change the camber . . . . slightly . . . . . but they should still be withing spec.

SO that was the word then . . . .

View attachment 28116

This is where we went . . . . .

View attachment 28117

Total time taken : 1 hour

Total cost : £75

Here are some extra pics . . . . .

View attachment 28118

View attachment 28119

Thats my pic limit again . . . . . =[

I hope that clears things up and answers some questions you may have.

anything I've missed? comment below.

Have a great day =]
Excellent write-up

Here's my last printout and it's still pulling to the left, could it be the caster angle on the front right or do I need to get adjustable poly bushes to help bring the rears closer to tolerance?20180918_160548.jpg

It almost certainly will continue to pull if the tyre has worn on the edge, might be worth swapping front to rear to see if things improve.

Tyres are brand new and tried two different sets of wheels

Hmm, well that's my thought process shot to pieces then.

My main dealer claim to be the only people that can accurately track and adjust a T6, the trouble is they want over £200 for the privilege. Maybe worth talking to your dealer and see if you can come to an agreement where they check and advise you on what to do next?

Hmm, well that's my thought process shot to pieces then.

My main dealer claim to be the only people that can accurately track and adjust a T6, the trouble is they want over £200 for the privilege. Maybe worth talking to your dealer and see if you can come to an agreement where they check and advise you on what to do next?
That's rubbish, any garage with Hunter alignment will probably do a better job for far less.

I'm not saying I agree with them, but if there is something wrong with the alignment and a 3rd party isn't able to get the vehicle driving in a straight line due to some kind of manufacturing defect then it's the main dealers job to resolve that issue.

The main dealer should have the correct equipment and lines of communication back to the technical department at head office/factory or wherever in order to resolve the issue.

By the sounds of it this is not a simple case of re-alignment or it would have been solved with the Hunter equipment like my van was.

Gents, the issue could be that my b14s are not setup correctly or top mounts could be worn .... but the issue I have with the alignment is the same garage did it twice after another company fitted the coilovers...I'm looking to get a second opinion on Thursday. I was just wondering if my current setting screams not aligned properly

I've heard A Line in Dudley understand lowered t6s so I'm going to try them next

After my B14's were fitted the tracking was out, it skinned the inside of a tyre in less than 1500 miles, but oddly mine didn't pull at all.

I didn't realise you had non-standard suspension, but yes deffo get a 2nd opinion or get the original company that fitted the B14's to take a look.

Can I ask - after having 4 wheel alignment done, will the garage always provide a print out of the 'results' after alignment? Thanks

Can I ask - after having 4 wheel alignment done, will the garage always provide a print out of the 'results' after alignment? Thanks

Yes..

But ask for it first.... just to make sure.

All the machines have the ability for a print out... it's just if the place decides to print out or not .... i always ask for the hard copy.

Back