Turbo issue, lack of boost

wtucker111

Hi guys yesterday I was driving my t6 204dsg on a 67bplate and there was a whining noise coming from the engine which I thought could be the turbo, I pulled over called the AA they ran some checks on the roadside and his computer said it's not making enough boost and its now in limp mode .He called his VW tech friend and he said when stationery and revved to 2500 it should boost to 1.8 and stay there , mines boosting to 1.0.
I've now been dropped off with the van in Chepstow at some families house, what should I do know ? It's out of warranty, so can anyone recommend a good garage locally to Chepstow please .
Cheers Will

Could the whining have been whistling? It could be a hose or charge cooler air leak? Wishful thinking, I know, but you never know your luck!

img_20210521_173147-jpg.116962

Could the whining have been whistling? It could be a hose or charge cooler air leak? Wishful thinking, I know, but you never know your luck!
Thanks for the advice , to check that will I need to get under the van or can I don't from under the bonnet ?

IMG_20210521_173147.jpg

I think your turbo noise is just a red herring BTW, I've got the same engine and it has always made a funky star wars noise on shutdown. Most likely due to the compound turbo arrangement!

Hi everyone thanks for your helpful suggestions, the garage got around to stripping my van down today And this is there diagnosis, basically ending up with me having to replace alot of parts at a hell of an overall cost . (Most expensive camping holiday I've ever attempted to make)
Screenshot_20210525_190545.jpg

Mate, they've stuck it to you IMO. eg. An OEM EGR is just over £200 from here. The labour time according to VW is 1.3 hours but most places charge 2-3. The turbo should be around £800. Looks like they've doubled the price on parts then added VAT too but if they've sourced via VW then they will hike the price too. Feel for you big time as that's a big chunk of change to be stumping up.

Mate, they've stuck it to you IMO. eg. An OEM EGR is just over £200 from here. The labour time according to VW is 1.3 hours but most places charge 2-3. The turbo should be around £800. Looks like they've doubled the price on parts then added VAT too but if they've sourced via VW then they will hike the price too. Feel for you big time as that's a big chunk of change to be stumping up.

I’m not saying anything about the value of the quote, but that egr valve you’ve linked to looks like a Euro 5 version. It may be that the Euro 6 T6 versions do cost more.

Every company is entitled to make a profit, without profit there'd be no businesses and few jobs. But that's taking it a bit far.

I mean I have searched the internet and it's hard to try and get a costing for the parts, I mean I need a twin turbo (bi turbo) which I know makes it a bit more expensive, the egr valve I had replaced under warranty about 15000 miles ago so I'm annoyed about that as on the quote above it's £451 +vat ! I mean that's alot of money if it's going to shit itself every 12-18 months of driving . Anyone on here recommend where I can order directly for VW genuine parts ?

Give me an hour and I will get you the exact cost price for turbo and EGR for your model from VW (can pull info from your vin number)
Those prices don’t look crazy though

i will pm you the info then you can choose what you want to share

Ouch ..... i feel for you.

Shame you couldnt get a second opinion to compair the diagnostics.

I've just had a quote from vw dealer to replace the turbo on my t6 204 4motion £2262 for the turbo approx £ 200 in gasket etc and 12-14hrs labour at £140/hr + vat. I'm looking for a decent independent garage who knows what there doing to carry out the repairs, anyone got any recommendations

Back