Mod / pump upgrade to lube turbo better?

Woodman

I like playing with my wood!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I went to collect my daughters A2 from a mate's garage today (20/11) after spending more than the car was worth fixing it after it failed its mot. In his workshop was a Transporter with failed upper turbo. Van only 5 yrs old. He said he has a few where the upper turbo fails as the lower unit seems to starve the upper of oil. Does anyone know of any mods or oil pump upgrades that have been developed to prolong the turbo life? Cheers Woodman

I've not heard of this issue myself yet? - On BiTurbo engines

Biturbo web shot:

1605900269486.png

It doesn’t necessarily need to be an oil pump issue, if there is back pressure in the drain lines the oil won’t be flowing and will overheat causing a bearing failure.
Excessive crankcase pressure will act against the oil flow.

I always ley my van idle before driving off to make sure oil is at the turbos, and simillarly after driving let it idle to stop the turbos spooling and allow a bit of cooling time, helps to look after them...shame my wife doesnt understand that concept, hit start 3000-4000 revs in reverse slipping the clutch (in her a4 avant) no mechamnical sympathy in her world.

It looks to be they have separate oil feed, same return so no reason for it to starve one turbo. #Woodman, I like your comment on no mechanical sympathy! Thats one reason I always turn Stop-Start off. You could be at high rpm and come to a junction/ sudden stop and the engine gets turned off! Whats supplying the essential oil pressure for the time turbo slows down? Exactly, Nowt!

Back