Going mad over rim size for t32

I’ve been reading the forum for the last couple days but can’t find definite info. 2020 transporter t32

The Stock 205/65/16 are terrible, so I’ve found a 19” amarok set but believe the 255/55/19 on them are too big and will scrub?

Short of those rims, what is everyone running for a mix of handling and off-road/bad road capabilities? I don’t think the 19”s have enough sidewall to not destroy the car over bumpy roads but I may be wrong?

A mate has the same van with 255/55/18s which scrubs on lock, so that has confused me even more as I see some guys saying they can run them..

I’ve been reading the forum for the last couple days but can’t find definite info. 2020 transporter t32

The Stock 205/65/16 are terrible, so I’ve found a 19” amarok set but believe the 255/55/19 on them are too big and will scrub?

Short of those rims, what is everyone running for a mix of handling and off-road/bad road capabilities? I don’t think the 19”s have enough sidewall to not destroy the car over bumpy roads but I may be wrong?

A mate has the same van with 255/55/18s which scrubs on lock, so that has confused me even more as I see some guys saying they can run them..

Most people using the 19" Amarok will run 255/45/19 which will fit fine, not scrub and be load rated for a T32. There is often several sets for sale in various places, but they are a popular wheel in the Transporter scene, so will often command good money rightly so.

@rileyrussell.89. Apart from possibly the look, what’s ‘terrible’ about the 16s that you currently have? I ask because if it’s the ride, it might take more than new wheels and tyres to sort it out.
The skinny tyre aspect that makes the van roll (body roll) a lot more around corners. I had a previous model with 235/35/17 and there was much less of that roll feeling.. I feel wider tyres will fix this.

We run 255 45 18 on KW V1 and the new CrossClimate tyres ….great comfort on long runs ..Great on camping sites…and can’t emphasis this enough absolutely brilliant in extreme weather….but It’s a simple thing, Get your tyre pressures right :)

ps …it’s a T32 204 Dsg with TVS

The skinny tyre aspect that makes the van roll (body roll) a lot more around corners. I had a previous model with 235/35/17 and there was much less of that roll feeling.. I feel wider tyres will fix this.
I really think that @dubber36 has given you a very good pointer on who to talk to. A conversation with Steve about what you’d like to achieve is going to save you a lot of money.

We run 255 45 18 on KW V1 and the new CrossClimate tyres ….great comfort on long runs ..Great on camping sites…and can’t emphasis this enough absolutely brilliant in extreme weather….but It’s a simple thing, Get your tyre pressures right :)

ps …it’s a T32 204 Dsg with TVS
What tyre pressures are you running mate?

Im not after a lowering kit, i, just after wider tyres/offset in 18s.
So In saying that, stock offset is 50, what is the widest rim and offset in an 18 that I can go?

If you have a T32 then I think you must have your original tire size wrong. You will have to take that into account if you put it into a tire size calculator as the percentage will be wrong. I think you will probably have a 17 inch rim?

EDIT….. After re-reading, I think you might not have a T32….. it’s just that’s your tires were over specked. If that is the case you will have more choice of tires.

I’m no expert though!!!

If you have a T32 then I think you must have your original tire size wrong. You will have to take that into account if you put it into a tire size calculator as the percentage will be wrong. I think you will probably have a 17 inch rim?

EDIT….. After re-reading, I think you might not have a T32….. it’s just that’s your tires were over specked. If that is the case you will have more choice of tires.

I’m no expert though!!!
Its definitely a 205/65/16. Tdi340

I’m no expert though!!!
Not all T32 vans have the larger brakes, so it’s quite possible that the OPs van is a T32 with 16” rims.

Im not after a lowering kit, i, just after wider tyres/offset in 18s.
So In saying that, stock offset is 50, what is the widest rim and offset in an 18 that I can go?
18” rims are typically 8” wide and as such you can run anything between about 50mm offset to about 35mm offset and not run into any problems on the front or rear.

Not all T32 vans have the larger brakes, so it’s quite possible that the OPs van is a T32 with 16” rims.

18” rims are typically 8” wide and as such you can run anything between about 50mm offset to about 35mm offset and not run into any problems on the front or rear.
Thankyou for the feedback. Am I right in thinking a wider rim (say 8.5) would benefit from a wider offset (say 35) to get that inside edge away from anywhere itll rub?

I must confess - I’m very confused! @rileyrussell.89 do you want to change/improve how the van looks or do you want to change/improve how the van rides/handles? Do you know if your van is a T32 or other variant?

If a “problem” could be articulated then a clearer view on potential solutions could be put forward. That could even be: “I’d like my van to be lowered, with wheels that fill the arch more yet still provide comfortable handling!”

Just trying to help steer a route through my confusion!

Back