Towing with a lowered van

That would be brilliant thank you it will dada e a lot of guesswork and it cost me £60 each time I get it adjusted.
I see you are on 19”” wheel ms I’m on 18 so could you also send me the size of you wheel including the tyre so I can them work it all out.
many thanks and enjoy the rest of your trip.

My heavy T6 (T32 4motion LWB) is sitting on B14s with a Westfalia detachable towbar. I need to pull an Ifor twin axle trailer, however I'm finding the back wheels of the trailer are just off the ground.
The B14's are at max height at the front with the rears set to mid, which makes the van level. I could set the rear higher, but prefer look of a level van.
What's the best option for raising my towbar height an inch or so?
An alternative suspension setup and sell the B14s on? Eibach pro street/Koni/..?
Is it possible to fit an alternative towbar? If so, which?
What do you suggest?
Thanks

There are different necks with different angles and height possibilities that will fit you bar. Downside is they won't be type approved.

Tow a small 2 berth caravan, originally van was lowered 50mm but it was a nightmare getting it off the drive which could only be achieved by removing the jockey wheel.

Had Koni shocks and 40mm H&R springs fitted by CRS Performance last weekend, I knew the van was too low at the back but when Steve measured it the rear was 80mm drop!

We partly addressed this before the upgrade by fitting a different towball but it was still a worry on ferry ramps.

The suspension upgrade has changed everything can tow straight off the drive and it towss really well, also now stuff comes out if cupboards on the journey. Don't have a picture of the new setup but it's a lot better than this from last year.

The best upgrade by a mile!

IMG-20201024-WA0001.jpg

When I used to tow my boat (approx 2 ton) through Europe, I had a special towball made with a two inch extension, that I would swap onto for slow manoeuvring - On and off ferries or big ramps etc so as not to drag the trailer - It worked very well, with a van lowered approx 80mm, so I had the best of both worlds - I still have it somewhere (but no boat) - Ill dig it out and get some pics

Last edited:
We partly addressed this before the upgrade by fitting a different towball but it was still a worry on ferry ramps.

Bobby,
Thanks for the reply. Do you have details of your different towball? Or a photo of the 2 side-by-side?
It's got to be worth a try before investing in a new suspension.
Thanks.

Being honest my wife drove most of the research into changing the towbar, being a typical bloke I was "it will be fine we don't need to worry"

She hated the ride on the van and the bad angle the caravan was to the van, will take a picture of the tow ball and post in a bit.

It was the highest rise towball that we could find and it did improve things to a degree.

Logic would dictate changing the towball first, especially if you are happy with how the van drives solo.

The benefits from the change in suspension for me easily justify the cost, it's my daily drive and the upgrade has transformed the ride both solo and towing.

The steering is more positive now the van is level and it doesn't crash over bumps and holes.

Looking back she was right.

@BognorMotors... if I were to go the new suspension route, what alternative setups may be suitable on a T32?
I know my B14s sit too low, pobably down at least 60mm(?) at highest setting. How do KW, Eibachs, ... compare. It sounds like Koni+40mm may also work.
Thanks

Any of the suspension offerings at maximum height should work perfectly for you, whether you choose to go a fixed solution the Koni/H&R route or coilovers from ST, KW or Eibach - any of them will have you covered. Be interesting to see how low you presently sit and how far up you what to go. And then we can look into the correct solution for you.

@BognorMotors... if I were to go the new suspension route, what alternative setups may be suitable on a T32?
I know my B14s sit too low, pobably down at least 60mm(?) at highest setting. How do KW, Eibachs, ... compare. It sounds like Koni+40mm may also work.
Thanks

That looks perfect for lowered vehicles and properly strength tested - although not the prettiest towbar setup for some who want to see nothing when not towing.

Our solution was on the removable towbar, and only used for slow speed Manoeuvering, as not strength testing (although I was told you could hang tons off it)

Never got on with a detachable towbar I had on a previous car, also like having a towball in case some bellend rearends you!

Be interesting to see how low you presently sit and how far up you what to go. And then we can look into the correct solution for you.
Here's my T32 4M on B14s, IMG_20201101_155251814.jpg
Height between centre of hub to wheel arch is 38.5cm at front and 39.5cm at back.
Towball centre is 37cm to ground.
I think if the towball was at least 40cm I'd be ok.
Photo below shows height of towbar vs height the trailer naturally wants to sit.
IMG_20201101_155331476.jpg
IMG_20201101_161003214.jpg

What size wheels and tyres are you running Beepee Would it be possible to get a measurement from the centre of your wheel to the arch?.
That is exactly the look I’m trying to get .
Cheers

20" staggered but only a 40mm drop
Tyres at the rear are 275x40x20 and fronts are 245x45x20

40mm drop (Cobra springs, Koni Sport shocks), 275x40x20 tyres towing 1800kg twin axle. Sits absolutely lovely and level. This combination of wheel/tyre would give about a 20mm rise in ride height so combined with 40mm drop I guess that's about 20mm down at the tow hitch over stock. Not all hitches are the same height. From earlier research I found that the Tow Trust removable hitch I have also sits a bit lower than the Westfalia removable by about 15mm. So there are lots of variables. Not that best pic but don't have a side on pic right now.

FB_IMG_1604094000335.jpg

My caravan is also a elddis crusader my tow ball is 360 to the centre without the van on and with it on its 325 ish.

Back