Towing with a lowered van

There a really good article here - Understanding the dynamics of towing

What’s your nose weight? 100kg max remember.

But if in any doubt ask your dealer.
Thanks, I don’t have any issues towing. I have a class 1 license and I am in my 3rd caravan, this is the first time on lowered suspension so just wonder what everyone else was doing. I see you run at max height on B14,s

You won’t know if it’s truly dangerous without checking the nose weight, when I tow mine it is pretty much bang on 100kg and it’s smaller than your caravan.

Use a set of bathroom scales and a block of wood, line up tow ball and hitch as level as you can and then let the handbrake off (chock the caravan wheels obvs).

You won’t know if it’s truly dangerous without checking the nose weight, when I tow mine it is pretty much bang on 100kg and it’s smaller than your caravan.

Use a set of bathroom scales and a block of wood, line up tow ball and hitch as level as you can and then let the handbrake off (chock the caravan wheels obvs).
I did that once, glass scales...... didn’t end well ha ha

It's not the nose weight I was worried about, it's the fact that the two axles of the caravan are not sharing the load equally.

You could put it on a weight bridge and find out each individual axel weight
Then compare with manufacturers recommended weight if bothered

Don’t forget if they exceed the plate weight and Mr VOSA has a look, he will advise you LOL

We are thinking of buying a T6 combi but it’s been lowered by 60mm does anybody have a van lowered by 60mm and tow a caravan with it and does the caravan look nose down at the front

Last edited:
Mine is lowered 50mm but rolls on 20". Tow bar height is 420mm so still within spec for my trailer.

I've found the tow ball height only really makes a difference on twin axle trailers. On single axle trailers you can move the weight so the nose weigh is correct. This is much harder on a twin axle trailers to keep the weight even on both axles and get the nose weight correct.

We are thinking of buying a T6 combi but it’s been lowered by 60mm does anybody have a van lowered by 60mm and tow a caravan with it and does the caravan look nose down at the front
Mine was lowered 60mm but it was too nose down for my liking so had raised back up to 50mm. I was on 17’s at the time but have now moved to 19’s so it could probably come down again
On 19’sD704F9A5-8AC9-4EEE-957A-4028591E47B8.jpeg
On 17’s547647FE-A093-484F-A990-57C636406857.jpeg

Mine was lowered 60mm but it was too nose down for my liking so had raised back up to 50mm. I was on 17’s at the time but have now moved to 19’s so it could probably come down again
On 19’sView attachment 80478
On 17’sView attachment 80477
if you don’t mind and have time one day could you give me the distance from the centre of your back wheel to to wheel arch.
I had my van lowered then lifted but still think it could do with going up.
Yours looks spot on for towing so would help a lot . Cheers

CAC348DA-EC62-46BD-AD8E-7069FFDAD1A9.png

Hi Dave, I will come back to you on Saturday as I have a boot ful of gear as I am currently away so the measurement wouldn’t be correct

Back