Best Comfort setup for towing?

temeraire

VIP Member
Hello, after some advice.

I currently have OEM shocks and 40mm lowered H&R springs as fitted by previous owner. I find the ride too harsh so am looking for something much more comfortable.

The van is partially converted as a camper and we will be completing the conversion so it will be carrying weight full time.

I also want to use it to tow and launch a boat (RIB) on a braked trailer so I think I would prefer to return the van to standard height. The hook seems a bit low to me with the current springs.

In time I'm thinking of changing the Devonports to 18 inch rims and AT tyres for a mild swamper look.

What do people recommend for a comfortable ride and optimum height for towing?

Thanks

I tow cars a lot and I have done with many different vehicles and trailers. The critical thing is not the suspension or tyres, but the nose weight from the trailer.

If like me you have a 4 wheel trailer, the height of the tow hitch is critical. I move my trailer from my VW onto my BMW and found that the trailer was lifting the BMW up because the tow hitch is too low. Ideally you need 80-100kg of load on the tow ball when the car and trailer are level. You can buy cheap measuring sticks for this and when you have the load correct, measure the height of the tow ball.

You then need to lower or raise you van to suit. Alternatively, for some trailers you can buy spacers to go under the hitch head to raise the height.

I've just fitted swamper tyres you my van and changed my T28 lowered springs to T32 standard. The tow ball has gone up so I've had to add 20mm of spaces under the hitch of my trailer. Otherwise the nose weight was too high and the front axle of the trailer wasn't taking as much load as the rear axle.

HTH

If like me you have a 4 wheel trailer, the height of the tow hitch is critical. I move my trailer from my VW onto my BMW and found that the trailer was lifting the BMW up because the tow hitch is too low. Ideally you need 80-100kg of load on the tow ball when the car and trailer are level. You can buy cheap measuring sticks for this and when you have the load correct, measure the height of the tow ball.

HTH
Thanks for the tips. Just a single axle on mine so I guess not as critical though should still be level.

I currently have OEM shocks and 40mm lowered H&R springs as fitted by previous owner. I find the ride too harsh so am looking for something much more comfortable.

The van is partially converted as a camper and we will be completing the conversion so it will be carrying weight full time.

I also want to use it to tow and launch a boat (RIB) on a braked trailer so I think I would prefer to return the van to standard height. The hook seems a bit low to me with the current springs.

In time I'm thinking of changing the Devonports to 18 inch rims and AT tyres for a mild swamper look.

Thanks
The best way to improve the comfort at either the current ride height or at standard ride height is by fitting Koni Special Active shocks. They are simply unbeatable at anything between standard height and 40mm drop.

If you are already thinking of going back to standard ride height to achieve the mild swamper look and optimise your tie back height then I would recommend the correct standard springs based on the loads you would usually carry and an upgrade to the koni shocks to transform the ride.

We can supply and fit suspension and a number of different AT wheel and tyre combinations and we aren’t very far from you.

Feel free to DM for more information, or email Chris@thevancave.co.uk or call 07791 045464 or 01460 249346.

Mine tows a car on a trailer so much better with STX coilovers. I'd never go as far as to say I don't even know I'm towing (why do people say that?) but it is way better than standard with a slightly firmer, but more controlled damping setup.

Thanks for the tips. Just a single axle on mine so I guess not as critical though should still be level.

The tow ball height is not as critical when you only have a single axle trailer, but the nose weight will still have significant effect.

I would focus on making your van the height and comfort you need without the trailer. If you have the choice, slightly increased spring rate and damping will help when towing. As Chris said, Koni Special Active shocks are a good option to look at.

20220822_185503.jpg

My van is 60mm down. The trailer looks nose heavy in this picture, but it's just over 80kg nose weight and a turn of the bubble off level.

Thanks
What the Van Cave said is solid advice .

There is no better shock available for standard height vans than the KONI special actives , They self adjust while you are driving, by sensing hi speed shaft movement ( frequency ) it can tell if you are on a bad ( bumpy ) surface and it automatically softens the rebound settings to take the sting out of the bump . It is a patented technology only available from KONI

Well priced and ultra reliable 2 year warranty

What the Van Cave said is solid advice .

There is no better shock available for standard height vans than the KONI special actives , They self adjust while you are driving, by sensing hi speed shaft movement ( frequency ) it can tell if you are on a bad ( bumpy ) surface and it automatically softens the rebound settings to take the sting out of the bump . It is a patented technology only available from KONI

Well priced and ultra reliable 2 year warranty

So the koni's have a digressive damper curve (force vs velocity). This isn't something new, virtually all sports dampers do this and isn't something koni have patented. I've read 100's of patented on dampers to get mine approved, but there's aways an aircraft landing gear or door closure mech which gets in the way.
But I do agree the Koni's are a very good quality damper and worth having.

So the koni's have a digressive damper curve (force vs velocity). This isn't something new, virtually all sports dampers do this and isn't something koni have patented. I've read 100's of patented on dampers to get mine approved, but there's aways an aircraft landing gear or door closure mech which gets in the way.
But I do agree the Koni's are a very good quality damper and worth having.
NO! that isnt what i am saying at all , digressive valving is common as you say and all top shock manufacturers use it ,

I didnt say it was new either , KONI have had this tech for approx 15 years they supply to Mclaren , Aston Martin < Lambourghini ,
It was in the Mclaren formula 1 car in 2009 already

Hello, jumping in on this thread as I've read a load the last day so looking for a bit of advice on suspension.

Have a 2019 T6 T30 DSG, day van conversion; rock and roll bed, under seat fridge with pop-top and solar. Its on factory suspension and 17" Devonports.

Van went for a service and I've been told the rear coils are snapped. Since having the van I've wanted it lowered and bigger wheels 19/20". So given I now have to replace the rear springs I'm thinking in for a penny in for a pound and get the suspension changed and lowered. Two main things I'm aiming for, is taking the van lower, but also want to get a bit more comfort on the ride as it's also used day to day as a family 'car'.

From everything I've read on here, and there's A LOT, I'm edging toward the KONI special actives with H&R springs, rather than edging towards coilovers. Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello, jumping in on this thread as I've read a load the last day so looking for a bit of advice on suspension.

Have a 2019 T6 T30 DSG, day van conversion; rock and roll bed, under seat fridge with pop-top and solar. Its on factory suspension and 17" Devonports.

Van went for a service and I've been told the rear coils are snapped. Since having the van I've wanted it lowered and bigger wheels 19/20". So given I now have to replace the rear springs I'm thinking in for a penny in for a pound and get the suspension changed and lowered. Two main things I'm aiming for, is taking the van lower, but also want to get a bit more comfort on the ride as it's also used day to day as a family 'car'.

From everything I've read on here, and there's A LOT, I'm edging toward the KONI special actives with H&R springs, rather than edging towards coilovers. Any advice much appreciated.
Hi there

I have made some recommendations and sent them directly to you in a PM

Thanks

Steve

Back