The now rare TSI .....is Anyone Buying These? ?

What would you go for

• TSI

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • TDI

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Welcome to the forum @Rstoneh
There are a few TSI owners and fans on here which will be better placed to give you their impression on the petrol T6. My experience was using the 300hp TSI of Bognor Motors for the day, whist I had some work done to mine. It was a full on monster with an insane amount of power for a van, but the biggest drawback for me was the mpg. I did almost £1 per mile, but I was full on having fun and i've read they can reach late 20's. Personally, i'd have one for a 2nd T6 if money wasn't an issue, but I couldn't own one because i'd be bankrupt after a few months. Yeah, you can use them gingerly, but they pop and bang between gears and downshifts, and beg to be abused.
I'm also not sure on the residuals for a petrol commercial vehicle. My guess is people bleat on about diesel being the blood of satan and all that, but in reality if it's a choice between being seen as Green, and actually paying for this choice, most will opt for stepping off their soapbox and hushing up.

I'm a diesel van man all day long. My 204 dsg is fed with good fuel, and runs adblue, and that's my contribution towards a balance of Green and reality. The TDI has more grunt, the residuals are tried, tested, and high regardless of mileage. They are easier to find for sale, and more likely to find several in a colour you want, without travelling the other end of the country.

For me it's TDI all day long. :thumbsup:

For me it would be diesel. I contacted VW both in UK and Germany before my second hand purchase to ask about the likelihood of a hybrid electric on the horizon. It was not on their immediate plan, they were talking 2022/24 for a realistic release if any.
I did not want to wait that long to start my adventures as I'm getting on a bit! :p
So plumped for the diesel for the availability second hand, resale values and that they are the cleanest current standard of diesels EU6.
I may regret it in 10yrs but I can guarantee I won't regret the adventures I've had, and that's what counts. :thumbsup:

TSi no longer an option on the configurator so think it has been dropped.

Here my thoughts..

I've driven a 2018 TDI 204 DSG for about a week while my TSI went back for some work.. So have some back to back experience.

The TSI is faster.. Smoother and uses alot more fuel! The TDI on a daily basis feels faster initially, its got that instant torque but it does run out of puff quickly. The TSI requires you to use the revs and it only really starts to pull hard from 4k ish all the way to red line..

Mines been remapped by Bognor motors and its really too fast for a van now lol.

I wouldn't be disappointed with the TDI.. However I'm really chuffed with my Limited Edition TSI!

Found a few good deals on 150 bhp tsi t6 vans, I'm just a bit nervous about the resale value.
Anyone had one and sold it recently ?
Are they fast? anyone remapped one ?

cheers

Found a few good deals on 150 bhp tsi t6 vans, I'm just a bit nervous about the resale value.
Anyone had one and sold it recently ?
Are they fast? anyone remapped one ?

cheers
There could be a resale issue now they're discontinued, but the people on here that have them seem to like them so they can't be all bad. To my mind, although I don't like having to have diesel, petrol engines have no place on a van, just not economical enough and not enough torque without remapping and making the economy even worse. The only saving grace for me would be a great engine sound, and a VW 4 cyl doesn't do it for me. Now if it was a straight six, I'd drop all my economy arguments and get one!

Cracking engine. Needs to run a map and super unleaded to get the best out of them. Popularity will go up with them. We’ve run a few.

I’ve had one 16 months done just under 12k miles. Average 27-28 mpg according to the MFD. Get about 400 miles to an 80 litre tank. Nice and nippy although I never have any weight in it, think it would struggle with a tonne of kit in the back. Still glad I chose it over diesel as drive to work is only 2.5 miles. Will get it remapped to 300 bhp once the warranty is up

I’ve had one 16 months done just under 12k miles. Average 27-28 mpg according to the MFD. Get about 400 miles to an 80 litre tank. Nice and nippy although I never have any weight in it, think it would struggle with a tonne of kit in the back. Still glad I chose it over diesel as drive to work is only 2.5 miles. Will get it remapped to 300 bhp once the warranty is up

can you actually just remap a 150bhp tsi to 300bhp?

The 150 petrol is identical to the 204 petrol engine just a different map so it can be mapped pretty high (as can the 204 obviously)

I drove a 150TSI Shuttle in Germany a few years ago, and the lack of torque was unbelievable. With 4 on board and a few bags, it struggled to keep 100kph on a hill on the motorway. The DSG changed down to 3rd and the engine was screaming its head off. Not a pleasant experience, and one which a remap would help but not completely solve.

Mines a lwb 150 (cheers @BognorMotors ) it's now fully converted with Reimo roof, California bed/rails, furniture, water/gas and fiamma awning sticking out the side :)
Drove it back from having the roof done 100 miles ish and it averaged 33mpg (that's going proper steady and almost all motorway). Normal day to day driving would be mid to high 20's.
Currently running the devonports in readiness for winter and this made a fair difference mpg wise in comparison to the 20" wheels.
I would say it maybe lacks a little torque and you obviously have to drive it slightly differently to a diesel van but it's by no means slow with all the conversion weight in. Always the option to have it remapped to 300 which I may do when I visit Bognor again.
I'm a big petrol van though, also no as blue, egr or dpf worries.

I drive a 150bhp Tsi lwb which has a full camper conversion. I love it, and find it plenty fast enough for me.no addblue or other diesel issues to worry about.
I am considering an lpg conversion which will bring the fuel cost right down, though this does have a high upfront cost

Last edited:
7000 miles in 150 tsi manual after a T5.1 140 tdi

Real 30mpg average over this period, mfd a bit more optimistic, I was getting 38 actual from the T5.1

You soon get used to the lower torque.

This is our van, only found this after purchasing!

Hi, looking to get a newish T6 before the facelifts come out, approved VW stock. I fancy a petrol, do low miles van is for me, plus bikes and kayaks/dog etc. Is the reliability and mpg worth it ? Honest John had one, must look at the write ups.

Jeremy ps thanks for accepting me on your forum !

Back