The now rare TSI .....is Anyone Buying These? ?

What would you go for

• TSI

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • TDI

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

GB_Vdub

I'm looking into the pros and cons of a TSI engine vs a TDI engine for a new T6 Kombi as above.

The TSI version is £30,125 vs £31,361 for the TDI equivalent base model (Startline)

I'm really not sure which way to go. The TSI is listed at 31 MPG where the TDI is listed at 46 MPG. This is a massive difference in fuel economy. The TSI has an 80 litre fuel tank vs the 70 litre fuel tank for the TDI, which improves the range difference, but does not address the cost. There is the initial saving of £1,236 on the engine difference. After that, I have calculated a difference in fuel costs of £495 per 10k miles.

The pros of petrol as I understand it are:

- Quieter
- Smoother drive
- Less polluting (but new diesels aren't that bad)
- Less expensive to repair (is this true?)
- More reliable (is this true?)
- May not fall foul of new regulations targeting diesel vehicles (but then Euro 6 engines appear that they may NOT be targeted by the same regulations).

Looking for opinions please. Initial purchase price is a big factor, but I would also rather find the extra cash to make the right decision for the long term.

I'm looking into the pros and cons of a TSI engine vs a TDI engine for a new T6 Kombi as above.

The TSI version is £30,125 vs £31,361 for the TDI equivalent base model (Startline)

I'm really not sure which way to go. The TSI is listed at 31 MPG where the TDI is listed at 46 MPG. This is a massive difference in fuel economy. The TSI has an 80 litre fuel tank vs the 70 litre fuel tank for the TDI, which improves the range difference, but does not address the cost. There is the initial saving of £1,236 on the engine difference. After that, I have calculated a difference in fuel costs of £495 per 10k miles.

The pros of petrol as I understand it are:

- Quieter
- Smoother drive
- Less polluting (but new diesels aren't that bad)
- Less expensive to repair (is this true?)
- More reliable (is this true?)
- May not fall foul of new regulations targeting diesel vehicles (but then Euro 6 engines appear that they may NOT be targeted by the same regulations).

Looking for opinions please. Initial purchase price is a big factor, but I would also rather find the extra cash to make the right decision for the long term.

Hi and welcome @GB_Vdub

It's a tough one, you would be best served to read as many threads in this forum as possible (there are numerous) the majority of members appear to be TDI but many are also TSI.

There is a obvious performance and "remapping" scene around the petrol with many obtaining outstanding performance stats for a van (300psi!)

You may want to confirm if VW see a future in petrol vans, I'm sure I have read somewhere that they have stopped the production of Petrol California's? So you could either end up with a highly desirable petrol van because you had the foresight, or left with something now defunct no one wants.. Who knows??

At the end of the day it's going to be your decision but you will definitely get loads of opinions on here, so lap it all up and then decide. I went with the majority, safety in numbers, and went diesel.

I have a 150hp Diesel highlife, I'm not into driving my brick fast, it returns 42mpg most of the time and I can't see a diesel ban coming into force in my lifetime.

Good luck and just enjoy what ever you choose. :thumbsup:

I live in London, for me petrol is a no brainer, but wasn’t available at the time!

@GB_Vdub
You may want to confirm if VW see a future in petrol vans, I'm sure I have read somewhere that they have stopped the production of Petrol California's? So you could either end up with a highly desirable petrol van because you had the foresight, or left with something now defunct no one wants.. Who knows??

Agreed, seems safer not to be the odd one out to me.

I live in London, for me petrol is a no brainer, but wasn’t available at the time!

Could you elaborate on why it is a no brainer in London? What are the advantages of petrol in London specifically (I'm in the Southwest, so probably wouldn't sway me, but would be interesting to know).

I have a TSi Caravelle. I'll say one thing, it is thirsty, especially on short journeys in stop-start traffic. I get 20 - 24mpg in these conditions, so if that makes you balk, then stay clear of the petrol!

Obviously things improve if you do some miles. I have managed 35mpg on an 80 mile trip to Llandudno (town roads, motorway and a roads) but you have to 'learn' how to get the most out of it. I'm currently averaging over 27mpg since I bought the van (now with over 3300 miles on it) which I don't think is too bad.

Interestingly, I've read some posts on here saying they get relatively poor mpg (25) out of their diesels presumably due to the regen process...

This is the way I see it:

Petrol:
Cheaper to buy
Less 'Issues' and 'maintenance' (DPFs, AdBlue etc)
Quieter and smoother
Less NOX

Diesel:
Cheaper to run
More Torque
Less CO2

Hope this is useful to you!

Mayor Khan has a Low Emission Zone which is morphing into an Ultra Low Emission Zone, (£25 Per day plus the congestion charge!)
At the mo , Euro 6 engines are exempt, but he can, at the stroke of his pen, decide otherwise and can extend it as he desires!

Here are my calculations based on TSI vs TDI fuel economy and some extras (150PS versions). Looks to me like on 10k miles per year, the TSI would cost £495 a year more. It's quite easy to see that this could be made back quite quickly by opting for the TDI. I'm going for the TDI ...

VW Transporter TDI vs TDI Comparison

@GB_Vdub I think you are making the correct choice. The MPG on the TSi would drive you crazy by the looks of it and I don't think you'd ever be happy knowing you could get better MPG from the TDi you 'should' have bought...

Enjoy your new Van :thumbsup:

I opted for the 204 TSi having previously had a 2016 Passat Estate GT TDi 140, 2009 Golf mk 6 GT TDI 140 remapped to 206BHP and a host of other diesels before hand. I loved the way diesels drove, instant power, No lag (in my experience) reasonably economical although nothing has been as economical as my MK4 Golf MATCH with a 100 BHP PD engine! Those PD TDi engines were bullet proof. I only do around 8-10k miles a year, a lot of it is short runs. It suits me better to have a petrol. I don't get as good fuel economy but for me its a nicer vehicle to be in as its much quieter. The MPG isn't a factor. If I were doing 0000's of miles a month then I would have stuck with a diesel as you have to fill them up less.

End of the day go with your gut instinct. In 3 years time I will then have only just started to creep into the money I have saved buying a petrol over a diesel in the first place, if you follow what I mean? (initial outlay etc)

It suits me better to have a petrol. I don't get as good fuel economy but for me its a nicer vehicle to be in as its much quieter

I did read in a few reviews that say the TSI is very nice to drive, and the lower torque value is offset by various factors. Unfortunately the dealer I visited didn't have a TSI model for me to test drive (a bit of an unknown that made me hesitant to commit to one).

I did read in a few reviews that say the TSI is very nice to drive, and the lower torque value is offset by various factors. Unfortunately the dealer I visited didn't have a TSI model for me to test drive (a bit of an unknown that made me hesitant to commit to one).
You should find one to test drive just to be sure you are getting what you want one way or the other. Nothing worse than parting with all that money and realising you made a mistake... Where do you live?

You should find one to test drive just to be sure you are getting what you want one way or the other. Nothing worse than parting with all that money and realising you made a mistake... Where do you live?

Agreed, I've decided TDI now anyway. Will hopefully get the chance to try a TSI at some point but it will be just for interests sake now!

Hi I have the tsi 204 with a remap and this is a works van I am getting 24mpg my brother has a 204tdi and gets 29mpg and I have a navara pickup and that only gets 29mpg plus I pay less for petrol

I had exactly this dilemma and in the end placed an order for a 150 tdi Kombi dsg highline two days ago.

Main conserns were real world mpg and the lacklustre reviews when loaded

Bear in mind that any engine, petrol or diesel, available now will fall foul of future regulations, it's just a question of time. One thing is certain though, no goverment that wants to stay in power will suddenly disadvantage a large group of road users, it's going to take a long progression and those of us currently in our 50s and older may well not live to see the end of diesel in vans.

My 10 pence worth.

I have a 150 DSG TDI and I think its bad on fuel if driven in anything other than a relaxed manner. I had it in sport mode once and never again as you literally watch the needle drop.

Over the last 12 months I have accepted I have to let cars overtake me and that I should be happy to occasionally go in the middle lane of a motorway ha

Now id love a 300bhp van but if I had to drive at 65mph and only get low 30’s and around town low 20’s id never buy another van in my life, infact id struggle to afford the fuel to get to a food bank.

The 150 diesel is to me the middle of the road choice but actually the best. Its fast enough for a van and at the end of the day can get 670 from a tank (my new record). So my advice is get a diesel.

Ps Im also on a Golf Owners forum and if you think the diesels are unreliable you dont want to know what the TSI’s are like.

Morning chaps,

Looking to get our first transporter kombi as a family adventure vehicle.

We'll be doing next to no miles in the week but travelling at the weekends.

What's the general opinion on either a tsi or tdi 150?

Looking at low mileage 2nd hand.

Cheers
Rob

So far I love my 204 DSG TSI. Really quiet and smooth and lovely to drive. Now I've got a few miles on it the mpg has improved a little, but is still dependant on how fast I travel: cruising at 70 on the motorway returns over 28mpg, but that drops to 25/26 if I cruise at 80. This is on my regular 80 mile commute which is about 33% motorway (by time). Despite that, I have ordered an LPG kit for mine, so should have it converted within a couple of months. Then I'll be looking at slightly less mpg, but only about 55p - 75p per litre of fuel.

I also believe there is more scope to map the 150 TSI than the TDI as it is the same motor as mine and only detuned by the software. It can reportedly go up to about 300 hp if thats your thing.

Back