Team Starlight Blue

Can I join your gang?
Had my Starlight since March last year. 12 months going full on camper, i've just spent the best money yet and had an ST-X suspension upgrade. Completely different vehicle. 100% improvement to the ride.
Sportline bumper and lower splitter due this week.

20210816_161733.jpg

20220513_143437.jpg

20210709_143519.jpg

Hi my fellow Starlight Blue person - can you do a side on picture please? What wheels and tyres do you have on ? This is my next rabbit hole. Many thanks.
I know - I only looked at the email : there is a lovely side view above. Oh hum.

Last edited:
Can I ask wheel size/fitment and springs? That is sat perfectly!

Hi my fellow Starlight Blue person - can you do a side on picture please? What wheels and tyres do you have on ? This is my next rabbit hole. Many thanks.

@AlexTheLion, @Alan Ginger - you asked, so here's the detail (and sorry for the massively delayed reply Alex, I missed your question when you first posted it :rolleyes:)...

Wheels are 20" Leighton LV1's in gloss black. They're specifically designed for the Transporter, so offset is bang on IMO. Load rated for T32 and pretty reasonably priced actually. If I have one complaint (it's only a minor one) it's that the green Leighton branded centre-caps ain't the prettiest, and at 69mm diameter, they're a bit of an odd size for sourcing a VW branded replacement. There will be an after-market option out there to sort this though, I just need to do some research. Specs are as follows:

- Staggered set - 8.5j x 20" Front Wheels / 10j x 20" Rear Wheels (so the rears have a deeper concave than the fronts, which I like)
- 5x120 PCD
- ET45 Front offset
- ET38 Rear offset
- Load rate of 860kg per wheel

I am a bit of a wheel tart though, and do have a hankering for a set of Navis Twin 5's in bright silver for an alternative summer set-up look. Might have to scratch that itch in a couple of years.

Suspension is Bilstein B14 Komfort adjustable coilovers with a 55mm drop (can go to 70mm, but I wanted everyday useable, so they're not fully wound down) - definitely a firm ride, but I like the handling confidence that gives - the van can take a corner in a way that it has no right to, given it's size, weight and shape. The van always handles better when it has some extra weight in it (passengers or cargo), it just feels a bit more planted when loaded.

Tyres are Uniroyal Rain Sport 5's (275/40/R20) - load rated for the T32. In all honesty I think 265's would be better, but load rated tyre options for the T32 are pretty limited. 265 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics would be a better option IMO, but £££.

I've never had any clearance issues (e.g. speed bumps) with this set-up, it's lower, but sensible. I do get a very minor bit of wheel arch rub, but only on absolute full-lock, and I was always taught that grinding out your steering column on full lock wasn't mechanically sympathetic anyway, so I never do it, and it's not an issue at all for me. An added benefit of lowering is that, even with roof rails fitted, the height of the van is 195cm, so will comfortably fit under the standard 2.0m height barriers you find at car parks etc.

Hope this helps chaps. A looking down the side pic for you, to show how the wheel offset fills the arches well, without 'poking'...

IMG_0751.jpg

@AlexTheLion, @Alan Ginger - you asked, so here's the detail (and sorry for the massively delayed reply Alex, I missed your question when you first posted it :rolleyes:)...

Wheels are 20" Leighton LV1's in gloss black. They're specifically designed for the Transporter, so offset is bang on IMO. Load rated for T32 and pretty reasonably priced actually. If I have one complaint (it's only a minor one) it's that the green Leighton branded centre-caps ain't the prettiest, and at 69mm diameter, they're a bit of an odd size for sourcing a VW branded replacement. There will be an after-market option out there to sort this though, I just need to do some research. Specs are as follows:

- Staggered set - 8.5j x 20" Front Wheels / 10j x 20" Rear Wheels (so the rears have a deeper concave than the fronts, which I like)
- 5x120 PCD
- ET45 Front offset
- ET38 Rear offset
- Load rate of 860kg per wheel

I am a bit of a wheel tart though, and do have a hankering for a set of Navis Twin 5's in bright silver for an alternative summer set-up look. Might have to scratch that itch in a couple of years.

Suspension is Bilstein B14 Komfort adjustable coilovers with a 55mm drop (can go to 70mm, but I wanted everyday useable, so they're not fully wound down) - definitely a firm ride, but I like the handling confidence that gives - the van can take a corner in a way that it has no right to, given it's size, weight and shape. The van always handles better when it has some extra weight in it (passengers or cargo), it just feels a bit more planted when loaded.

Tyres are Uniroyal Rain Sport 5's (275/40/R20) - load rated for the T32. In all honesty I think 265's would be better, but load rated tyre options for the T32 are pretty limited. 265 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics would be a better option IMO, but £££.

I've never had any clearance issues (e.g. speed bumps) with this set-up, it's lower, but sensible. I do get a very minor bit of wheel arch rub, but only on absolute full-lock, and I was always taught that grinding out your steering column on full lock wasn't mechanically sympathetic anyway, so I never do it, and it's not an issue at all for me. An added benefit of lowering is that, even with roof rails fitted, the height of the van is 195cm, so will comfortably fit under the standard 2.0m height barriers you find at car parks etc.

Hope this helps chaps. A looking down the side pic for you, to show how the wheel offset fills the arches well, without 'poking'...

View attachment 166876
You know what, this is why I really like this site, this gentleman has taken time and care to answer my question as fully as he he can and I thank him for that.
This has happened with all my posts and question. People take time and are respectful. This site is the internet at its best And I don’t say that often. So thank you.

Back