Team Banded Brothers.

So I have now received my steels from navis but I’m actually a bit disappointed. I do love them but it’s the finish on them that really have let them down. The paint finish is very orange peeley , they have quite a few bits of splatter from welding that’s just been painted over a couple of other marks but the worse bit is how visible the seam is where they have been welded. I know I can get them powder coated but for the cost I expected them to be a lot better. What would you guys do in this situation? Cheers
that sounds strange?? interested to hear what @Tourershine thinks??

So I have now received my steels from navis but I’m actually a bit disappointed. I do love them but it’s the finish on them that really have let them down. The paint finish is very orange peeley , they have quite a few bits of splatter from welding that’s just been painted over a couple of other marks but the worse bit is how visible the seam is where they have been welded. I know I can get them powder coated but for the cost I expected them to be a lot better. What would you guys do in this situation? Cheers
oh and if it were me i'd return them...
and let them know your feedback.

There is something else to consider, the Navis steels don’t accept a genuine VW T6 or T5 steel wheel centre cap. The design was changed slightly after the prototypes were done. The guys at THQ are working on a Navis centre cap based on the VW one, which will be available in a couple of months.

oh and if it were me i'd return them...
and let them know your feedback.
That’s where I have made a big mistake. I took them to the tyre centre in the unopened delivery boxes as I only opened 1 of them when I got them and that 1 looked ok . So now they are fitted with the tyres im a bit stuffed.

There is something else to consider, the Navis steels don’t accept a genuine VW T6 or T5 steel wheel centre cap. The design was changed slightly after the prototypes were done. The guys at THQ are working on a Navis centre cap based on the VW one, which will be available in a couple of months.
Really?? I have an email from them to say standard t6 centre caps fit.
This was what they said…

Due to not knowing what bolts you have im not sure, standard VW Bolts work with these. And if you use standard VW bolts the caps will clip on.

Really?? I have an email from them to say standard t6 centre caps fit.
You have to trim them to fit, the diameter of the OEM centre cap is too large to fit the recess in the holey Navis wheels so they don’t lock onto the wheel bolts as they should.

I am a THQ trade customer and have the holeys at the cave and was surprised to find that the OEM centre cap didn’t fit.

You have to trim them to fit, the diameter of the OEM centre cap is too large to fit the recess in the holey Navis wheels so they don’t lock onto the wheel bolts as they should.

I am a THQ trade customer and have the holeys at the cave and was surprised to find that the OEM centre cap didn’t fit.
In your honest opinion what do you think of the general quality of the wheels and paint?

In your honest opinion what do you think of the general quality of the wheels and paint?
My personal opinion is that it isn’t befitting of a £1000 wheel set.

The wheels are designed to look like a commercial steel wheel and the finish is similar to what you would find on a cheap commercial steel wheel.

Last edited:
Yea I see, they don’t look the best do they?? ….

Last edited:

I was on the fence looks wise, but the unknown quality/finish was my biggest worry, would be interesting to see some close up pics.

I'd be inclined to have a word with them and see what they say, can't do any harm.
Failing that, return them if you haven't used them, or if you really like the style get them refinished...

So glad I didn't order a set then.
Quite disappointing really what with all the (typical thq) hype around these.

So glad I didn't order a set then.
Quite disappointing really what with all the (typical thq) hype around these.
Me too, glad I waited. Search for some wheels goes on. Seems like a cheap set of wheels at an inflated price.

I’m not a fan of the Navis ‘reproduction’ steels, but each to their own I guess. It’s a real shame that you’re not happy with them…. especially as others have said with the price of them and the usual hype!

I suppose that’s the problem with a mass produced wheel if the quality control is not top notch.

Another thing is the weight of these wheels? Something maybe Chris @The Van Cave can answer either way?
An 18” Amarok steel is a heavy wheel and a banded 18” Amarok is even heavier, so a 19” or 20” Navis steel must be very heavy?

I’m not a fan of the Navis ‘reproduction’ steels, but each to their own I guess. It’s a real shame that you’re not happy with them…. especially as others have said with the price of them and the usual hype!

I suppose that’s the problem with a mass produced wheel if the quality control is not top notch.

Another thing is the weight of these wheels? Something maybe Chris @The Van Cave can answer either way?
An 18” Amarok steel is a heavy wheel and a banded 18” Amarok is even heavier, so a 19” or 20” Navis steel must be very heavy?
It really is a shame about the quality. I previously had a set of smoothies on my t4 from extreme offset wheels and the finish on them were perfect and they are less than half the price. Only reason I didn’t buy from them is because I wanted 19” and they only do 18 and 20 and only in black or white. In hindsight I should have got the 20” had them powder coated in silver , used the tyres I have on the van now and saved myself about £800-£1000

Back