Team Banded Brothers.

I guess with your van being a T32, LWB, DSG there’s a lot more weight…. you’ll have to play around with the tyre pressures to see what suits you best? :thumbsup:

Some people don’t appreciate subtle, but quality mod’s…. they clearly don’t know what they’re looking at!:rolleyes:
The missus approved so I didn’t get in trouble :thumbsup:

Hi All
Banding has been on my mind for a few years now, but been running 20" alloys. Due to a recent issue I'm inclined to sell and switch to steels as i'd be more inclined to let the wife drive it...
I'd like to go GP steels, but just trying to work out the best sizes. My insurance company have said they would be fine.

I've seen sets in 8.5"F/9"R and 9"F/9.5"R. However, it seems to me that 8.5"F/9.5"R would be better for me.
I'm about 65mm lowered and I go to French Alps in the winter so need to retain the ability to put snow chains on the fronts without impacting the arch.

I suppose I could get a 8.5"F/9"R set and just spacer the rear to get the arch fill I desire, but thought I would ask for opinions before I push the button.
Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

I had a set of banded GP steels on my last van in 8.5 front & 9.5 rear. Tyres were 225/55 17 Kuhmo. No spacers used.

The van was lowered by about 70mm.

I ran around on this setup for about 8 years with no rubbing issues and it was a nice comfy ride.

Hope that helps in some way.
I can dig out some close up pictures of fitement if that would help as well.

Also, if you want more reference for size variations, there's this thread on the T4 forum that dates back to 2012 when GPs were pretty much the only option available. Some of the attached pics to posts are no longer visible anymore though.

Last edited:
I had a set of banded GP steels on my last van in 8.5 front & 9.5 rear. Tyres were 225/55 17 Kuhmo. No spacers used.

The van was lowered by about 70mm.

I ran around on this setup for about 8 years with no rubbing issues and it was a nice comfy ride.

Hope that helps in some way.
I can dig out some close up pictures of fitement if that would help as well.

Also, if you want more reference for size variations, there's this thread on the T4 forum that dates back to 2012 when GPs were pretty much the only option available. Some of the attached pics to posts are no longer visible anymore though.

Thanks for the info. Would love to see a pic or two if it's not too much of a pain to dig out?
Thanks

No worries.

Here they were on my T5...

6FF85168-DFBE-4E61-ABB0-98FD3A63BEF0_1_105_c.jpeg

4702877C-B967-4DE6-BAFE-3792FDD98C02_1_105_c.jpeg

The 8.5 on the front is slightly tucked inside the arch and the 9.5 on the back is pretty much level with the arch lip.

I also had them repainted and fitted them to my T6 when I first got it.

557B9091-20F5-4695-8EBA-0E3AA899386E_1_105_c.jpeg

By far, the best wheels I've owned with regards to comfort and vehicle response off of lights etc.

I always told myself that I would never go back to 20" alloys after driving around on the GPs.

For some reason, I'm now back on 20" alloys but seriously considering going back to GPs.

I had mine banded by Damian in Tiverton.

and how have they been? - good, presumably given that you were running them over two vans...

Yeah, they were fine. I only sold them to fund a set of banded Defender steels which I now regret.

Like any banded wheel though, they need a certain degree of looking after to prevent rust along the welds.

If they're going to be black in colour, a small bead of sealant can be used to prevent that.

Anyone know who the best person/place is to get banded wheels made now?
Duchy banded wheels can’t fault them we’re brilliant with my steelies and I had them painted two different colours of black with the half moons aswell

Hi All
Banding has been on my mind for a few years now, but been running 20" alloys. Due to a recent issue I'm inclined to sell and switch to steels as i'd be more inclined to let the wife drive it...
I'd like to go GP steels, but just trying to work out the best sizes. My insurance company have said they would be fine.

I've seen sets in 8.5"F/9"R and 9"F/9.5"R. However, it seems to me that 8.5"F/9.5"R would be better for me.
I'm about 65mm lowered and I go to French Alps in the winter so need to retain the ability to put snow chains on the fronts without impacting the arch.

I suppose I could get a 8.5"F/9"R set and just spacer the rear to get the arch fill I desire, but thought I would ask for opinions before I push the button.
Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Hi Huw, I cant remember if yours is a shuttle with the deeper sliding door pockets? if so 9.5 Rears will rub on the tyre/wheel. I've got 9" banded Amaroks if you wanted to try mine out for size? (mine dont rub) I'm 103mm down on the rear.

Thanks @dErZ but looking at the specs of mine currently and what I would go for, the banded 9.5" with tyre would be narrower than mine or the same at the contact point. Yes it is a Shuttle, and both door cards touch currently, but it is just a touch/squeak with no resistance.

I'm thinking 8.5" on front with std 215/60/17 Contact 200 tyres (I have 2 good ones on my current set of GP's. Slight stretch.)
The 9.5" on back with 225/60/17 or 235/60/17 for that slightly raked look (A Team...), or a 235/55/17 for same RD as front. All can be had in 103 load rating.

Big dilemma now is colour. I think black on a black van would look poor. Chrome Powder coat seem popular. Decisions decisions...

Hi @huw169 I’m not running the banded GP’s anymore (sorry @Trouts ;)), but I’ll put up a couple of pictures that are probably on this thread already if you look back.

Anyway, I had 9” on the fronts and 9.5” on the rears with 235/55/17 tyres all round and no rubbing issues whatsoever and my van is lowered by approximately 80mm. A note on the rears rubbing the sliding door cards…. previous to the GP’s I was running banded Amarok’s…. again with 9.5” rears and these ‘poked’ out more than the GP’s. With the Amarok’s I had a slight rubbing on the door card, but definitely not with the GP’s.

83E5C858-9CFD-47CE-B662-2290A4CE091E.jpeg9DF08612-FE13-4C01-9B92-86DC7E37A946.jpeg2BECE24F-1F97-4590-B02E-CC4FE525481D.jpeg

Hi @huw169 I’m not running the banded GP’s anymore (sorry @Trouts ;)), but I’ll put up a couple of pictures that are probably on this thread already if you look back.

Anyway, I had 9” on the fronts and 9.5” on the rears with 235/55/17 tyres all round and no rubbing issues whatsoever and my van is lowered by approximately 80mm. A note on the rears rubbing the sliding door cards…. previous to the GP’s I was running banded Amarok’s…. again with 9.5” rears and these ‘poked’ out more than the GP’s. With the Amarok’s I had a slight rubbing on the door card, but definitely not with the GP’s.

View attachment 184301View attachment 184302View attachment 184303
Nice. Yes I have seen your van. Looks good like that.
Thanks for the clarification re the rubbing. I had seen the the Amoroks have a starting ET of 45 whereas the GP's are 55.
Thanks

Back