Team Banded Brothers.

Looking at throwing some winters on and seems to be some sets from SUV's with 275 45 18 fitted. I have 9.5in rear so they would fit fine but just worried they would be too square.
Anyone ever fitted tyres that wide on banded steels?

Looking at throwing some winters on and seems to be some sets from SUV's with 275 45 18 fitted. I have 9.5in rear so they would fit fine but just worried they would be too square.
Anyone ever fitted tyres that wide on banded steels?
Not tried it, top limits for a 9.5 wheel, some of the alloys on T6s are running 275s, might be worth an ask what width rims they are using?

Or go cross climates and run them all year round :thumbsup:

Yeah I need full winters for where I live and I've run winter all year round before so thats the default. Good point on the larger staggered 10in rear with 275's. The tyres came from a Panamera with had 9in rears so should be fine.
Just need to work out the affective offset of a 9.5in banded Amaroks.

Morning

Got my new SWB T30 panel van last week and thought I’d live with it for a bit to see how it drove etc before changing anything. I decided I would need to change the suspension and have always liked banded steels.

Thought I’ll just check to see if my insurance company are ok with that and my policy went from £800 to £2200 just changing the wheels and suspsension. Its taken me a week of being declined to find someone who’ll cover me at £1300. That’s with 32 years NCB and vehicle kept on the drive!

So, in for a penny in for 500 pounds, but I’m now ok to go head with banded steels and I’d like to ask the usual beginner questions please.

I’m going for Amaroks and it seems from reading 104 pages that 8.5 front and 9 rears will be safe from rubbing at a suspension drop of somewhere around 50mm to 70mm - not sure what will maintain decent enough comfort on what is a work van.

Tyre wise I’m a bit confused. 255/45/18 all round seems to be a common choice but some choose 235/50/18.

Is there one that is safer from rubbing than the other - any other things to consider?

thanks for any advice.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 13.55.14.png
235/50/18 is quite a big tyre and I had all sorts of rubbing issues on mine when I fitted them.
This was on 9" front & 9.5" rear. About 75mm down at the front.

Last edited:
I changed them to 235/45 18 to get a bit of tuck under the arches.

245/45 18 would be best really. That would give a fairly straight side wall.

Last edited:
Morning

Got my new SWB T30 panel van last week and thought I’d live with it for a bit to see how it drove etc before changing anything. I decided I would need to change the suspension and have always liked banded steels.

Thought I’ll just check to see if my insurance company are ok with that and my policy went from £800 to £2200 just changing the wheels and suspsension. Its taken me a week of being declined to find someone who’ll cover me at £1300. That’s with 32 years NCB and vehicle kept on the drive!

So, in for a penny in for 500 pounds, but I’m now ok to go head with banded steels and I’d like to ask the usual beginner questions please.

I’m going for Amaroks and it seems from reading 104 pages that 8.5 front and 9 rears will be safe from rubbing at a suspension drop of somewhere around 50mm to 70mm - not sure what will maintain decent enough comfort on what is a work van.

Tyre wise I’m a bit confused. 255/45/18 all round seems to be a common choice but some choose 235/50/18.

Is there one that is safer from rubbing than the other - any other things to consider?

thanks for any advice.
I’m confident that with an 8.5” front (banded) Amarok you won’t have any trouble with rubbing or catching from either a 235/50/18 or a 255/45/18 tyre at a 70mm drop. I’ve run both an 8.5” front (banded) Amarok on 255/45/18 tyres and a 9” front (banded) GP on 235/55/17 tyres with no issues whatsoever at an 80mm drop. :thumbsup:

539B1B2B-1745-487C-BB2D-E0402D12EEFD.jpeg

Had these on for a few weeks now courtesy of @T6ARF but it’s not stopped raining (or snowing) long enough to get a pic with it looking remotely clean.

Still need to paint the centre caps nice glossy black to match the van properly.

Looking very nice Stu! Have you noticed a difference in comfort from you
Looking very nice Stu! Have you noticed a difference in comfort from your 20’s?
Definitely a smoother ride although not as much as you’d expect.

It’s funny the comments you get though. Some people really like the look, others ask “why’ve you put those old wheels on over the nice shinny wheels?” :slow rofl:

Definitely a smoother ride although not as much as you’d expect.

It’s funny the comments you get though. Some people really like the look, others ask “why’ve you put those old wheels on over the nice shinny wheels?” :slow rofl:
I guess with your van being a T32, LWB, DSG there’s a lot more weight…. you’ll have to play around with the tyre pressures to see what suits you best? :thumbsup:

Some people don’t appreciate subtle, but quality mod’s…. they clearly don’t know what they’re looking at!:rolleyes:

Back