Team Acapulco Blue

@TeeCeeJay. I've been thinking about this since we first bought the van but never managed to get my 4rse in gear (other than looking at some compass road type decals for the rear windows but never buying them!). I'll watch this with interest. IMHO subtle is best.

Yes I think we may go down the subtle route. I think more colours acceptably contrast / compliment with a White or Black van and it's easier to set an accent colour theme with those.

We haven't got a dedicated colour theme for our van. The pop top canvas will be burgundy because the boss didn't want standard grey and we've got Blue GTi seat covers to go on once the dirty work is finished.

I'm thinking orange stripes on my van and maybe orange wrapped mirror covers, has anyone got any photos of this combo?

@ybeandy. Admittedly I'm not a great one for bright highlights but IMHO, orange just wouldn't work with an Acapulco Blue van. Red yes but orange......

Last edited:
Haven't decided on side stripe style or colour yet. But we have just collected the van from having its Skyline pop top fitted. Went with a burgundy canvass as we wanted a little individuality but not too much colour cast on the inside. Really happy so far with the choice.

20230422_111550.jpg

Haven't decided on side stripe style or colour yet.
We ended up going with gloss black VW and checkers side stripe from Zen Graphics. Messed up the fitting slightly on the passenger side but only if you look really close. Will see how well these stand up to stone chips and washing etc before deciding to remove or refit. Love the look, don't love my attempt at fitting!

20230529_132829.jpg

Getting the van booked in for an Austops elevating roof soon, and just wondered if anyone has decided not to have a colour coded roof? It's another £400 to get it painted, and trying to work out if it'll look alright without.

I don't know about the Austops roof but I made the mistake of leaving my roof unpainted and the gel coat blooms with the sunlight. The cost of painting once fitted is high and I had mine wrapped in vinyl. This will probably need doing again in a few years time. Black roof looks good on a blue van.

Jollyvan makes a good point re blooming of gel coats. Black roofs do look good but in hot sunny weather can get very hot - too hot to touch. This can result in the paint blistering especially if the priming of the gel coat is suspect or there is some residual moisture in the glass fibre composite - if allowed to get damp or stored incorrectly.

We have a skyline roof and got it painted to match the van. Partly for aesthetic reasons and partly due to the heat issue.

I think our pop top fitters told us that skyline roof is colour coded in gel coat at the manufacturing stage and that Austops were painted after manufacturing.

Thanks for the responses. I'd also read up about the potential black gel coat issues, and given our van will be stored outside year-round, that's definitely a big factor.
I think I'll spend the extra on colour coding (the fitter uses a local body shop to spray), and just have to delay a couple of other purchases.

It's been a short while since my last update, and not so much progress.

The dog needed two knee surgeries in the summer, so that significantly reduced the available conversation fund - but he's all good and happy now, looking forward to his mobile holiday home being completed.

Since getting the van in May, I've:
fitted chrome sidebars,
changed the wheels to a set of 18" Toluca alloys,
deadened and insulated the back,
had an Austops pop-top fitted,
had the van carpeted in 'Smoke',
fitted VanShades with a 'Midnight' blind,
and just this weekend laid my 'Whale' Altro flooring

Now just looking at what's necessary in terms of leisure electrics and choosing kitchen furniture for it to be ready for this summer.

1000017866.jpg

Back