Tailgate awnings - any recommendations?

I'm sure I saw a tailgate awning recently that could optionally also be positioned as a side awning, but I can't for the life of me find it again now.

Don't suppose this rings a bell with anyone?

We have the Khyam motordome tailgate. Good bit of kit,quick and simple to erect.
The only issue you need to watch is when opening the tailgate the corners are pretty sharp and can easily tear the section which connects the awning to the van. I try to place one hand on each corner of the tailgate as it opens to stop it rubbing on the material.

I've just ordered a Brunner comet. mainly because it will match the side awning bought a couple of years ago
Hi Niall
How did you get on with the Brunner Comet and would you recommend it?
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
yes, its a good job, nice & light and packs away neatly. handy for the toilet and all of the tubs and bags and keeps them out of the main awning.
there are a couple of things to mention though.
we used it un windy weather and with dirt on the tailgate and the wind, theres a few rubbing marks on the paint. Nothing that won't polish out but i went to a local hardware store and bought a roll of decorators plastic cover. its not quite sticky , more tacky and covered the tailgate with this so no further issues.
possibly a sheet or large cloth would do the job too.
its designed to fit the tailgate without a spoiler so takes a bit of fiddling to get to sit correctly if you have one fitted
lastly, the more you tension the guy ropes, the more the tailgate drops so a pair of uprated struts would solve this
hope this helps

cheers
Niall

Hi Mike,
yes, its a good job, nice & light and packs away neatly. handy for the toilet and all of the tubs and bags and keeps them out of the main awning.
we used it un windy weather and with dirt on the tailgate and the wind, theres a few rubbing marks on the paint. Nothing that won't polish out but i went to a local hardware store and bought a roll of decorators plastic cover. its not quite sticky , more tacky and covered the tailgate with this so no further issues.
its designed to fit the tailgate without a spoiler so takes a bit of fiddling to get to sit correctly if you have one fitted
lastly, the more you tension the guy ropes, the more the tailgate drops so a pair of uprated struts would solve this
hope this helps

cheers
Niall
Hi Niall
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. We have updated struts as we have a bike rack on our tailgate. I'm wondering if it will fit over that when it's folded up. From your experience does it look like there is a bit of extra material around the base of the awning or would we be showing our ankles?
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,
hope this helps

cheers
Niall
Hi,
My first post on here, I came across this thread while doing some reading about tailgate awnings and am heading towards the Brunner Comet. From what I've read elsewhere, the Brunner Comet has some sewn-in magnets. Probably a daft question, but do the magnets hold on to the tailgate or to the van body or both?

Many Thanks

Hi,
My first post on here, I came across this thread while doing some reading about tailgate awnings and am heading towards the Brunner Comet. From what I've read elsewhere, the Brunner Comet has some sewn-in magnets. Probably a daft question, but do the magnets hold on to the tailgate or to the van body or both?

Many Thanks
hi,

they attach to the tailgate. the awning doesnt attatch to the body at all. as said, not just as neat a fit if you have a rear spoiler but not an issue

cheers

Niall

hi,

they attach to the tailgate. the awning doesnt attatch to the body at all. as said, not just as neat a fit if you have a rear spoiler but not an issue

cheers

Niall
Many thanks for the quick reply & info. I thought that maybe the awning would hold on to the top & sides of the body to make a tighter wind / rain proof fit.

Many thanks for the quick reply & info. I thought that maybe the awning would hold on to the top & sides of the body to make a tighter wind / rain proof fit.
its a good fit. i peg the sides of the awning away from the bodywork so it doesnt rub in the wind. btw, theres no ground sheet with it. we use 4 foam flooring tiles. never had issues with rain getting into it. taking it to France/italy in may instead of the drive away awning.

its a good fit. i peg the sides of the awning away from the bodywork so it doesnt rub in the wind. btw, theres no ground sheet with it. we use 4 foam flooring tiles. never had issues with rain getting into it. taking it to France/italy in may instead of the drive away awning.
TBH, the lack of groundsheet is a plus for me as I wanted the cover for cooking and eating when it's raining as well as when it's nice out. Similar to your idea, I can always carry a small bit of carpet.
Last question on the magnets, are they just to position the awning when putting it up or are they really needed to hold it in place & quite strong? Just asking as I thought that the ground pegs & guys might be doing that.

TBH, the lack of groundsheet is a plus for me as I wanted the cover for cooking and eating when it's raining as well as when it's nice out. Similar to your idea, I can always carry a small bit of carpet.
Last question on the magnets, are they just to position the awning when putting it up or are they really needed to hold it in place & quite strong? Just asking as I thought that the ground pegs & guys might be doing that.
its a combination of both. they are quite strong. we put 2 x tent poles under the tailgate to support it because when you tighten the guy ropes, the tailgate drops a bit. really a balancing act of just enough tension before it starts to drop

its a combination of both. they are quite strong. we put 2 x tent poles under the tailgate to support it because when you tighten the guy ropes, the tailgate drops a bit. really a balancing act of just enough tension before it starts to drop
I wondered about the guy ropes pulling on the tailgate! Thanks again for taking the time for explaining. I found a couple of Brunner Comet awnings on special offer at Amazon and have ordered one to try out. They assured me I can send it back at no cost if I'm not happy, but based on your explanations, I think it'll do just what I want. I also found a >video< on the Brunner website that explains things, I don't normally look at promo videos as they are often hopeless IMHO but am happy to be wrong on this occasion.

I wondered about the guy ropes pulling on the tailgate! Thanks again for taking the time for explaining. I found a couple of Brunner Comet awnings on special offer at Amazon and have ordered one to try out. They assured me I can send it back at no cost if I'm not happy, but based on your explanations, I think it'll do just what I want. I also found a >video< on the Brunner website that explains things, I don't normally look at promo videos as they are often hopeless IMHO but am happy to be wrong on this occasion.
dont think you will be disappointed, let me know when you get it and what you think. cheers. Niall

Bit late to this post. Has anyone found an integrated awning that folds back into the tailgate or quickly clips on. Used the tailgate yesterday at Dublin port to make a cuppa. Rain from the side though was a pain

Found this

Last edited:
Back