Tailgate Awning

bmc054

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello
Can anyone recommend a tailgate awning for my T6 please ?
I have a fiamma f40 ready to fit on the side of the van so would like additional room at the back
Thanks
Bob

We have a Vango Tailgate Airhub. It's east to to erect with a single-point inflation, but, as with most air-beam awnings, it's quite bulky when packed and not what you'd call lightweight. They also do a poled version if you want lighter/more compact.

Thanks everyone
Much appreciated
Bob
Hi Bob
You’re most welcome.
One thing we found with the Reimo Upgrade II; it came with a tinted window in the roof, to line up with that in a glazed tailgate.
This then stopped the roof from sliding over our hot, black tailgate when trying to erect it as per the instructions.
After a little trial and error I found the best and easiest way was to partly open the tailgate and neatly/evenly place the roof on it.
Then let the tailgate raise and secure the guy ropes.
This method meant I could erect it on my own, whilst my wife prepared the obligatory and celebratory G&Ts!
Andy

Hi Bob
You’re most welcome.
One thing we found with the Reimo Upgrade II; it came with a tinted window in the roof, to line up with that in a glazed tailgate.
This then stopped the roof from sliding over our hot, black tailgate when trying to erect it as per the instructions.
After a little trial and error I found the best and easiest way was to partly open the tailgate and neatly/evenly place the roof on it.
Then let the tailgate raise and secure the guy ropes.
This method meant I could erect it on my own, whilst my wife prepared the obligatory and celebratory G&Ts!
Andy
From what I can gather, the Reimo Upgrade uses poles and the Reimo Premium doesn't use poles. Do you know if that's correct?

From what I can gather, the Reimo Upgrade uses poles and the Reimo Premium doesn't use poles. Do you know if that's correct?
Hi Chris.
I believe neither use poles for the awning itself.
They hang over the tailgate and need taking down before driving away.
We have the Upgrade Premium, as it added a sewn-in groundsheet which extends up and over the rear bumper.
The poles supplied are only used to prop open the rear door, to use as a ‘sunshade’.

More info from Reimo’s Official UK agent,
who we ordered ours from;

https://www.cmccampershop.co.uk/product-page/upgrade-premium-tailgate-awning-vw-t5-t6

Hope this is of some help.
Andy

Hi Chris.
I believe neither use poles for the awning itself.
They hang over the tailgate and need taking down before driving away.
We have the Upgrade Premium, as it added a sewn-in groundsheet which extends up and over the rear bumper.
The poles supplied are only used to prop open the rear door, to use as a ‘sunshade’.

More info from Reimo’s Official UK agent,
who we ordered ours from;

https://www.cmccampershop.co.uk/product-page/upgrade-premium-tailgate-awning-vw-t5-t6

Hope this is of some help.
Andy
Andy thats absolutely perfect mate! Thank you for clearing that up. The groundsheet does sound like a nice addition

Would you leave your van unattended with a tailgate awning on?
I’m just thinking of the insurance implications: Van left open with alarm off etc.. if it were to be stolen.

I’m just thinking of the insurance implications: Van left open with alarm off etc.. if it were to be stolen.
with the vango one the tailgate can be closed and locked plus also it can be used as a side awning as well

with the vango one the tailgate can be closed and locked plus also it can be used as a side awning as well
Ah ok, so it doesn’t use the tailgate as a support to hold it up then. That’s interesting.

Nope. I see it as a temporary cost effective pop up solution to give a little extra space on short stay nights/days out. Wouldn't leave the tailgate open unattended, that would be silly. For longer stays I'd be using a Nordisk bell tent for sleeping/living. Mines a day van/Kombi with forty winks bed. Just need a little standing/changing room and a tailgate solution works

the only problem with it is the total length van plus awning nearly 9 metres and thats on a SWB so some sites could get arsey
This was the first thing I thought of. Great looking bit of kit but quite a bit more costly over the Reimo too.
Might get the Reimo ordered next month!

Back