T6 Low coolant warning

MackerMcQ

Hi Guys

Recently purchased T6 with only 87k km's on clock Is starting to throw up coolant level warning, its sporadic, flashed on other morning, drove 5 mins to my school drop off and it didnt come on again until this morning it did the exact same, when engine cold the coolant bottle in engine bay is showing it under minimum line, didnt get it up to temperature today but hopefully will tomorrow to check the level when hot

What is normal protocol here? should it be above min when hot or cold? anyone any similar issues in past? do these suffer anything in paticular that I should look at?

Thanks in advance

I would just top it up a little and then monitor the level closely. Hopefully a small amount of extra fluid will stop the level switch triggering.
I had the same issue on a 1 year old Seat Leon - just needed a little more fluid.

Pete

Check level when cold.

Possible airlock.
Possible leak.

As Pete says, monitor closely.

Various water cooled cooler's and cause leak issues.

So this time round the level had dropped again, I topped up to normal so now I feel I do have a leak somewhere? Suppose I need to get it in somewhere as all looks dry as far down as I can see from the engine bay

So this time round the level had dropped again, I topped up to normal so now I feel I do have a leak somewhere? Suppose I need to get it in somewhere as all looks dry as far down as I can see from the engine bay
A pressure test should show the leak if it’s external.
That said there’s probably more chance it’s internal, EGR cooler being a likely culprit. I would pressure test, if there is a drop but no external signs I would disconnect the cooling system from the EGR cooler and plug the hoses before testing again. If there is no drop then the leak is in the EGR cooler.
With 87K on the clock the EGR is probably heavily fouled unless it’s previously been replaced.
Pressure test from hot to cold in case it’s only leaking when hot.

As said above, if no external signs of a leak, will almost certainly be the EGR cooler. Unfortunately your coolant is likely to be going straight down the exhaust. It is a very common fault.

I have the same is on my 2018 T6, have to top up coolant often and there are no visible signs of a leak. So from what I’m reading it could well be the EGR cooler. Is this a big job and expensive? How long could I feasibly continue topping up for until it is sorted? Thanks.

Back