EGR valve?

Robert Hallyburton

VIP Member
Hi all,

T6 150ps DSG shuttle, 188k miles

I’ve been losing coolant over the past wee while, from max to minimum on the coolant tank over 600 miles or so (measured cold). After reading through all the EGR information on here Im convinced its the EGR valve that needs replaced, but wanted a few opinions before I start looking at options to fix/replace.

So the facts....
  1. Loss of coolant but no obvious signs of leaks around the engine bay or underneath
  2. Oil looks ok, oil consumption normal
  3. Pressure test done by local garage shows no loss of pressure when either hot and cold.
  4. Engine still has power under acceleration, but hesitates after lifting off for a bit or after coasting.
  5. EML has never come on but the glow plug warning light has come on twice in the last month, but reset after engine switch off and on.
  6. A slight increase in fuel consumption

Thanks

My 2016 Shuttle 150ps was losing coolant after about 600 miles, turned out to be a faulty charge cooler which caused a rubber hose to split. I’m not saying it’s the same thing but worth checking.

http://Losing coolant

At a 188K miles the EGR is probably due servicing / replacement if it’s never been done before.
There’s an oil cooler on the DSG, highly unlikely that it’s leaking but a possibility.
It might be worth getting the coolant tested for combustion gases, commonly referred to as a ‘sniff test’.
If a pressure drop test is not showing a leak it probably needs to be run over a longer time.

My 2016 Shuttle 150ps was losing coolant after about 600 miles, turned out to be a faulty charge cooler which caused a rubber hose to split. I’m not saying it’s the same thing but worth checking.

http://Losing coolant
Thanks for that, I'll have look just now.

Why does a faulty EGR cooler sometimes cause coolant loss? Is it the soot building up and splitting the water jacket surrounding it?

I think I posted before that the EGR valve / cooler unit is mounted securely at both ends. This prevents the unit from freely expanding and contracting with temperature change. Hardly surprising that they fail.
Normally an industrial heat exchanger either has one end sliding or the more likely the tube bundle is mounted in flexible packing.
VW, cheap design, expensive sale and works on the day you drive out of the showroom.

Back