T6 for transporting motorcycle & road trips

Kisha

Dear all,

For about half a year now, we've been looking at vans, mostly VW Transporter (T6) and are considering trading our every day car in for it.

We'd like to use it for:
- Daily commute
- Groceries, shopping, larger purchases
- Road trips & vacations
- Road trips with our motorcycles inside!

Most likely, we'll use a "business" model and perhaps do some interior changes to make it slightly more comfortable to sleep in. (Also due to the rules in our country, a "company" van is a lot more affordable for us, our budget would be a lot larger.) Perhaps we'll install a rooftop bed type, or we'll just use an inflatable mattress, and we already have sleeping bags.

Our main reasons for considering a T6:
- Looks
- Engine with decent horsepower (TDI)
- Technical reliability and repairability (My boyfriend is a mechanic)
- Accessories and costumization, with help of forums like these ;-)

We already know what it's like to drive a van, so we know we won't miss a regular car. A "camper" type model is fun, but a lot more expensive to purchase and the inside is usually too small for our motorcycles to fit. I have an adventure bike (KTM 1290 Super adventure) so that's already a tight fit.

Our main point regarding the motorcycles is that we'll quicker do longer road trips when we can drive 90mph on cruise control, rather than about 50mph with a trailer. If we spend a night on a camping, we'll unload our bikes and sleep inside the van. That's how we imagine it. :-D

Sorry for the long post! We're hoping to gain any advice at all from you guys. Specific models, ideas, tips, warnings, criticism. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Hi :)

Your brief for a T6 sounds almost the same as mine. I have 2016 LWB T6 Kombi. I use it as my everyday drive, mini camper, weekend camper and motorbike hauler. When carrying bikes it’s my 2018 Honda CB1000R. I have a build thread here: Tippsy Motorbike hauler

I’d definitely go for a LWB. I had a short wheel base and the space advantage of the long is brilliant.

How many bikes do you have to carry? Have you already tried to get the big 1290 Super ADV in the back? My Husqvarna FS450 Supermoto is a tall bike and only just fits into the tailgate opening. I wonder if the screen on the S-ADV is too high?

Looking forward to seeing what ideas you have and seeing what you build.

Cheers

Crispy

For motorbike carriage, I’ve fitted a Cate Carrier to mine (Has Anyone Fitted The Cate Motorbike Carrier/rack?). I’m still in the process of obtaining the bits to enable a bike to be loaded, so I have no photos of the finished set up. But, of course, there no trailer speed limits to worry about.

Thanks Shaun, not a bad idea actually. If one bike could fit inside the fan and the other on a carrier, that'd be great too. Do you think a large adventure bike could fit on those?

Hi :)

Your brief for a T6 sounds almost the same as mine. I have 2016 LWB T6 Kombi. I use it as my everyday drive, mini camper, weekend camper and motorbike hauler. When carrying bikes it’s my 2018 Honda CB1000R. I have a build thread here: Tippsy Motorbike hauler

I’d definitely go for a LWB. I had a short wheel base and the space advantage of the long is brilliant.

How many bikes do you have to carry? Have you already tried to get the big 1290 Super ADV in the back? My Husqvarna FS450 Supermoto is a tall bike and only just fits into the tailgate opening. I wonder if the screen on the S-ADV is too high?

I'd definitely have to remove the screen I'm sure. Also a LWB would great indeed. Thanks for sharing your thread, it's very informative and inspirational!

I like your picture (Noraly from Itchy Boots) surely not her though??
The first issue with putting bikes in the back of a van is getting them in and out.
I can 'just' get my KTM 690 in my T6, but there's no way my GSA would go in without some disassembly, the screen is too high and I'm not sure I'd be able to hold the bike up if anything were to go wrong during loading and unloading, that thing is HEAVY.
I use 2 aluminium ramps (one for the bike, one for me) to get it in and out. These then stow alongside the bike wheels strapped together to stop them rattling.
Next issue is keeping them tied down, you need a VERY good tie down system, imagine your bike coming through the front screen in an accident when the tie down points fail.
I use an Acebikes Steady Stand bolted to a 4mm thick steel plate that uses the points in the floor for the rear seats in a Kombi to keep it in place, then some Moto Clix strapless tie downs to keep the bike solidly upright so it doesn't lean over going round corners and risk damaging windows.
I don't have a picture of the complete set up but here's a few to give you an idea.
JustFits.jpg
WheelChock.jpg
MountingPlate.jpg

Thanks Shaun, not a bad idea actually. If one bike could fit inside the fan and the other on a carrier, that'd be great too. Do you think a large adventure bike could fit on those?
Yes, I would think so. I have just bought a wheel channel ramp (from a Lider motorbike trailer) to fit. This is 2m long, so will overhang the Cate carrier by about 20cm on either side, but will provide the length needed for most bikes.

There's a guy on ADVRider from Belgium, DP55 who carries his BMW on a Reimo carrier on the back of his T5, limit is between 250 & 300Kg.
VW T6wBikeCarrier.jpg

There's a guy on ADVRider from Belgium, DP55 who carries his BMW on a Reimo carrier on the back of his T5, limit is between 250 & 300Kg.
That looks like the same as mine. The carrier frame itself can carry 300kg, but is only TÜV certified to 250kg on the T5/T6.

This was shortly after I purchased my van. I remove the screen and mirrors from my 120gs and walk it into the van on a small alloy ramp in 1st gear. It's not difficult, just take care.

P2zuL2vIXQtVqgUbRXb-vAAh3nmESY_jStEyOqLwh0s_aeH1-DFW2DasLf2YnQhqjJbONyvMNWg6oGGhLE1QM2EjoplDr5Trm_Xca8iBpQQvvZiMsrLg5eVlAcT5-pmOH9zLX4De5UfeP5oBfiRXim3IwGXnht_g-pylq9LCMIzEY97asD2nMRkjFWkzh7VQvwDPwNLE53J7ZF_gDoQWXzmU5eLdyiGA2UZLLFT4Mcw_9zeAKUCsq0OoHBIPEckQfWVAHGcMnYnYeLEMgLLWmBQAX48P0yxOmmAMtsYRaE5CtPrmJjRoRjkpg3uHzK95VSL9zHNRJbkmPsMNU5NMWPDE3H5pfBiV-JFcqRgXEMw5J9Ak984HJfCS3yb7fjxbXC79bMigd9BXWzSBIFd2n_C8jsD-L9JMMjo-3jTJ-PxC6yAt15m68ksLgsfzQONJUgTYcXxAit5ajBj9cUnOznKk-vvrPeF6wlNbU85cwARgNRbY0N1REk5RPuc7sCSXiEqZ6vvRclv2oltQh0yNxtXW6TYM2N3T5lVFxkrtdPNwfSIU_Zs5cbtH4Udz8kIhXOGI0Eb-yfvBOSpgUrHaHXFOuXUdKI0RXCR-C5YBhAFTNxteXufd-HCMf_gCaWC4C185D947HLQr-RQxF7G2Nzhko2Rsa6tv0-E-OK543HDBXwyhHKx96Q=w868-h651-no

I'm now planning a unit down the right had side was a bed with storage underneath. I also have a fixed wheel choc behind the passengers seat which holds its stable even before I put the straps on.

I like your picture (Noraly from Itchy Boots) surely not her though??
The first issue with putting bikes in the back of a van is getting them in and out.
I can 'just' get my KTM 690 in my T6, but there's no way my GSA would go in without some disassembly, the screen is too high and I'm not sure I'd be able to hold the bike up if anything were to go wrong during loading and unloading, that thing is HEAVY.
I use 2 aluminium ramps (one for the bike, one for me) to get it in and out. These then stow alongside the bike wheels strapped together to stop them rattling.
Next issue is keeping them tied down, you need a VERY good tie down system, imagine your bike coming through the front screen in an accident when the tie down points fail.
I use an Acebikes Steady Stand bolted to a 4mm thick steel plate that uses the points in the floor for the rear seats in a Kombi to keep it in place, then some Moto Clix strapless tie downs to keep the bike solidly upright so it doesn't lean over going round corners and risk damaging windows.
I don't have a picture of the complete set up but here's a few to give you an idea.
View attachment 87124
View attachment 87125
View attachment 87126
That plate looks interesting. I have a Kombi and just starting to get everything together. Does the plate latch in like the seats do? Strikes me as a great way to carry my bike, and on trips with no bike.. add 'habitation' modules for camping?

Cant see how it latches in or out, if it does?

Some really cool ideas there.
For flexibility I have Unwin rails installed in the floor (4) and hidden under the flaps on the side walls (2) on my Crafter.

I bought a Sealy Wheel chock for the front wheel but I think I prefer the webbing wheel sling I bought from the bike show.

The loading for the Unwin fixings are enormous and will easily stand a GSACCEA1888-651C-4790-96F1-CCA5598AE0F6.jpeg

Last edited:
That plate looks interesting. I have a Kombi and just starting to get everything together. Does the plate latch in like the seats do? Strikes me as a great way to carry my bike, and on trips with no bike.. add 'habitation' modules for camping?

Cant see how it latches in or out, if it does?
The bits of (rectangular) steel tube welded to the plate have a cut out in them, these latch onto the bars in the floor mounts, I have another piece of tube with a rivnut fitted to it that drops into one of the middle floor mounts in front of the bar, when the plate is in the right place (fully engaged in all corners) a hole lines up with the rivnut, a bolt is inserted, and the plate is effectively locked in place.
It is quite difficult to get the plate in and out anyway, but this bolt makes it impossible for it to move backwards in use.IMG20190525161725.jpg

Last edited:
The bits of (rectangular) steel tube welded to the plate have a cut out in them, these latch onto the bars in the floor mounts, I have another piece of tube with a rivnut fitted to it that drops into one of the middle floor mounts in front of the bar, when the plate is in the right place (fully engaged in all corners) a hole lines up with the rivnut, a bolt is inserted, and the plate is effectively locked in place.
It is quite difficult to get the plate in and out anyway, but this bolt makes it impossible for it to move backwards in use.View attachment 87417
Thats clever.. i had just about decided to do away with all the kombi stuff and put in a flat floor.. not sure again now :)

Grimreaper - that looks a cracking set up. One day I'll be brave enough to put my bike inside my van, but I'm too scared of getting it up on the ramp by myself!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, was going to post a similar thread, I've just bought a Kombi and I intend to use it for trackdays where I'll have one or 2 bikes in the back. We have Wheelchocks, which normally we just pull up against the bulkhead and use bar straps to strap down to the corners, obv without the bulkhead there's a safety concern around what happens in an accident.

I love the idea of something that could clip into the Kombi seat mounts, but I'm not really connected to anyone that could do the fab work for me unfortunately.

Has anyone had experience with putting additional captive nuts through the floor of the van, obv water ingress and rust are the two big concerns here but would allow me to bolt my wheel chocks into the floor?

Failing this my plan is to essentially strap the bikes backwards as well as forwards into the van with straps of suitable strength that they would take a shock load, but my preference would have been bolt the wheelchocks in somehow.

Reference loading the bike on your own, yes that's crossed my mind also, I have a ramp and will figure out how to stop it dropping off the back of the van but eventually I will be lowering the van 30-50mm which I think will help significantly with the loading angles. Luckily my drive is on a slight angle, so at least home I can put the van on the flat and use the drive angle in my favour.

Back