Advice on a T6 LWB with rear garage

EastHighlands

After some long consideration we're finally considering taking the leap with a VW Camper Conversion.

Our family cycles a lot, visiting races/events most weekends and really like the idea of being able to travel & store (up to 4) bikes inside the vehicle rather than on a rack. The security aspect while travelling, sleeping is important as a rear garage feels like the best solution. We've thought about the Crafter as a more spacious solution but prefer the idea of something smaller which could also act as a daily use second vehicle.

The one conversion company we have found which does offer this layout is CJL Leisure Conversions VWT6 Competition Adventure LWB - CJL Leisure They look like they do a great job but the prices are premium and we're keen to see if there are any options.

Does anyone know of other companies which offer similar conversions with rear internal garage and is there anything we're missing with such a layout other than the obvious loss of internal space, especially with the roll bed is down?

Thanks for any advice out there.

We looked for a number of options to be able to carry bikes inside and sleep. Unfortunately there aren’t many, CJL seemed to be the only one that offered a garage and 4 sleeping.
Fortunately there’s only the two of us, and now have a LWB Shuttle with a Van-King bed system which enables us to store a bike (or two) under the bed, or behind the front seats. We’ve not yet used it in this configuration, but I’ve used it at a number of motors events with a load of kit under the bed and still lots of room. A LWB Kombi and pop-top, with a frame bed might be a solution, cook under an awning or tailgate.

Have a browse of youtube, there are quite a few videos with ideas and layouts - lots of sponsored riders with video content

I think you’ll struggle with a garage and sleeping four in a T6. We have a garage in our lwb. We had our converter build for us. As you can see in the thread below, it’s not a conventional set up, we cook outside (aided by the awning). Since the van was built we’ve changed our bikes and the new full suss 29ers don’t fit on the mounts, so they are covered in blankets and tied down. They would possibly fit if we didn’t have the shelf across the bottom, but we need that storage. We could possibly get three bikes in at a push.
The other issue you will have is all of the bits that go with outdoor pursuits. If we have the bikes, the kayaks, walking kit, the under bed storage and garage are full. That’s only with two of us.

Thanks P20. Looks a nice set up you have.

Agreed. I can't see the layout working well for 4 even with a pop-top - feels like we would need a tent too to avoid family meltdown. I think for 2 (which is often the case at races etc) sleeping in the roof bed it would be fine. It looks like the CJL conversions handle 2 bikes well but not sure about 4. Hoping to go down to see them next month.

Exploria do a garage option - but you might not like their prices. We considered a used van with such a conversion, but the lack of flexibility resulting from this permanent alteration put us off. They create a closed space at the back, with bikes across the van. But I can't see how they would get 4 bikes in, with a full conversion. Realistically, 4 in a Transporter is pushing it anyway, and a garage capable of taking 4 bikes will make it even less practical. Why not either get a motorhome, or a caravan?

I’d be looking at a quality solid box trailer for the bikes & let the van do its thing. Otherwise you’re going to end up with a very expensive poor compromise that doesn’t do anything well.
Have a look at Anssems trailers. Not cheap, but the dogs danglies

What bikes do you want to carry?

Carrying 4x road or cyclo-cross bikes is a VERY different proposition to carrying 4x modern long mountain bikes...

I have a Reimo sliding bed in a LWB. If I slide it all the way back, I can get one passenger in the back and maybe 3 MTB inside wheels on. Alternatively I can slide it forward, with the full seats available for more passengers, and then a big space at the back that would take bikes with wheels off. Next time I’m in I’ll measure that space.

What bikes do you want to carry?

Carrying 4x road or cyclo-cross bikes is a VERY different proposition to carrying 4x modern long mountain bikes...
Coming from a sprinter (I have downsized), I will carry, surfboards, 3 full suspension mtb’s, or two motorcycles

Didn't notice this was an old thread that had been replied to - @ThunderboltFMF you can certainly do 2 or 3 MTB's in the back, with a couple of passengers, but if you want to sleep 'in' the van at the same time then you'll need a pop top.

Here's 2x bikes (pretty much the longest on the market) in a SWB caravelle with 2x rear passenger seats.

PXL_20230906_182907507.jpg
You could do 3x bikes if you angled them or turned the bars, and single seats down the side makes 3 passengers plus the driver.

Last edited:
As others have noted I think you’re going to really struggle to satisfy all your requirements here - certainly with a ‘standard’ camper and certainly with 4 bikes.
Pick one. Day van or camper.
Or go back to the drawing board and choose a bigger vehicle…. Even then, *4* bikes…?!

You can however achieve *some* of what you’re trying with a more flexible approach with something like the Ply Guys units… they’re modular so you could take in and out (although not super easily given weight etc).
I have a Ply Guys setup and I think is much better than the default ‘standard’ kitchen-on-wheels approach.
Full width and pretty comfy bed, good storage, pull out cook station under the tailgate etc. Much more flexible.)

(The standard VW campervan approach tries to put a motorhome in a campervan and it just doesn’t work IMHO. Nobody really cooks in them anyway from my experience, they’ve poor storage and the rock-and-roll beds are so uncomfortable that you need mattress toppers…. But you don’t have much storage for the mattress topper. .
I think the standard campervan with pop-top does *maybe* work if you have *small* kids and so need the extra seating.
Even then I still think you’re better with a Kombi and some units in the back…!)

Here’s mine with two fairly big 29er eMTBs:

IMG_1873.jpeg

Back