Potential newbie - SWB layout in LWB and Internal Bike Storage

BikenHike

Hi all,
Another newbie considering a van and looking for advice and suggestions please. Looking at a van as broadening horizons for cycling and hiking trips, however a key requirement is being able to store bikes securely inside the van.
In terms of our needs there are just two of us and being able to sleep in the van is a not must but having somewhere to get changed, sit in comfort, make a brew /coffee, keep warm, keep drinks cool, store kit for weeks away & perhaps prepare the odd meal is.

Having browsed lots of threads on here, countless youtube videos, a layout like Transporter HQ perfect day-van video with the van-furniture U shaped lounge looks a good set up, the only thing missing is internal bike storage.

I've seen CJL vans and Alan Murchinsons van is epic but a similar conversion is expensive and a bit overkill for our needs. Given the bike storage guess it has to a LWB van?

On that basis I appears I have 2 options; buy a LWB panel van and have it converted or buy a LWB van that has already been fully converted, take out the RIB/RNR bed and kitchen and get van furniture SWB u shape layout installed, ply partition put in to create the internal storage area.

Anyone else had a similar dilema? How easy would it be to go with the latter option? Would this be a quicker option than buying a panel van and the lead times of conversion. Thoughts and opinions would be welcome.
Cheers
John

Have a look at this epic setup.

I love the idea of keeping the dirty bikes out of the main van.

Im sure it's not a cheap conversion (especially the elevating coffee machine) but you could certainly borrow the concept...

Yes thats the CJL van I mention, circa £30k + VAT for the conversion plus base van on top.
Think this layout in a LWB and partition for the rear garage

I went to the Ply Guys for mine, they've recently done some stuff with Blake from GMBN. Top blokes

img_0831-jpg.166784

Hi all, I am looking at buying a T6 as well with the idea to use the internal space as by the original message in this thread. Is it possible to store 2 bikes in a T6 sideways in the back (without the front well)?

Thanks

Yes. It is but a bit of a faff. Excuse the clutter. Its all trial and error. If you remove the front wheel and want to pack the bikes close together you need to raise the front otherwise the bars get in the way of the other wheel. Depends how precious you are of your bikes. Mine are seperated but close enough not to rub.
Anyway, it works for me and gives you an idea and mines a SWB.

20220516_090515.jpg

20221106_153527.jpg

@PaulR83 thank you for the reply. I am precious with my bikes but your set up suggests me that I can go for a swb. I was thinking to build a lifted shelf for the second bike, in particular a 52 size All City Gorilla Monsoon, so not long, and a SWB Jones Spaceframe with 29x2.6 wheelset, so slightly longer

IMG_20220903_155254.jpgIMG_20220502_171943_2.jpg

Some nice bikes there. I've not tried my 29er since I've built the van, but it was a struggle with the bars, below. Thats a 18.5 I think. You certainly couldn't drive with them like that as they need fixing down but if you twist the forks as I have, you can't use an axle mount as it isn't level to the floor then. There are some other pics too of others vans. Not sure who's that is or what size.

20220116_151816.jpg

Screenshot_20220115-230956_Chrome.jpg

Is there something putting you off a LWB? Yes, you might manage with a SWB, but any layout would be enhanced by the additional room of a LWB.

To be honest I have been looking for a T6 since August, just waiting for the right moment ... And I think it is the moment to go for it. I was initially thinking to a LWB but it seems like there are less on the market.

My budget is limited (just moved and bought a property) to £25-27k

Yes. It is but a bit of a faff. Excuse the clutter. Its all trial and error. If you remove the front wheel and want to pack the bikes close together you need to raise the front otherwise the bars get in the way of the other wheel. Depends how precious you are of your bikes. Mine are seperated but close enough not to rub.
Anyway, it works for me and gives you an idea and mines a SWB.

View attachment 183386
The right side of your bed (facing it) ends on the wheel arch: did you build it? I can't find one that can sit on the wheel arch.

Have a look at this epic setup.

I love the idea of keeping the dirty bikes out of the main van.

Im sure it's not a cheap conversion (especially the elevating coffee machine) but you could certainly borrow the concept...

This combined sink / hob looks great. Has anyone got one?

I am hoping to make something similar to Paul's set up. I need to get my bike into my van, hopefully without removing the forty winks bed. Not sure how doable it is though as my bike is an XL 29er!

1673514403460.png

Have you tried fitting it in without the front wheel in to see what clearance you have for the bars from the top of the bed and also the rear doors. If they can go in without twisting, some sort of floor mount for the forks to bolt to bolting into the lashing point.
There are a few out there. Blokpod, mtbvans, loadedbikes.

i collect the van on Saturday so will find out then. I am hopeful there are options. The ones i am looking at are either:

1. Remove front wheel and secure front to the bed (as you say) and have the bike run front to back
  2. Remove front wheel and have the bike run left to right

If neither of those work, then from the looks of it the bed is only connected with 4 bolts anyway, so i can remove it worst case. And also if i want to travel with mates i can do the same; remove the bed and put more bikes inside. I will also at some point install a tow bar as i have a tow bar bike carrier which i use for my T5.1.

1A6C5287-1C2C-4AD2-966B-FB746F63C377.jpeg
29er with front wheel removed just about fits width ways.
Set up has changed since this as now have 2+1 seats in the rear. Need to try work out best way of carrying them.
Currently running them front to back using the lashing points at the rear and middle to stop excessive movement - with some padding in between the frames.
Road bikes fit front to back without wheel removed easily behind seats, the Mtb has to have a bit of a kink in the handlebars which takes boot space away

i collect the van on Saturday so will find out then. I am hopeful there are options. The ones i am looking at are either:

1. Remove front wheel and secure front to the bed (as you say) and have the bike run front to back
  2. Remove front wheel and have the bike run left to right

If neither of those work, then from the looks of it the bed is only connected with 4 bolts anyway, so i can remove it worst case. And also if i want to travel with mates i can do the same; remove the bed and put more bikes inside. I will also at some point install a tow bar as i have a tow bar bike carrier which i use for my T5.1.

You could always try this method...

s1600_GIGA_018.jpg

In my old T5 LWB, (rocknroll bed regular kitchen) with one bike I wedged front wheel between drivers and passenger bench seat. Back wheel was against the bed. For more than one, the second had front wheel up on bed, rear wheel against the passenger seat back. Bungee around the bikes to the table rail. Picnic blankets to keep the upholstery clean.

New one I have tailgate rack, or I can slide my rear seat right back, but so far only tried road bike inside which fits easily.

Back