Has Anyone Fitted The Cate Motorbike Carrier/rack?

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I lived in Germany for a while, and this rack was (is) available for a number of vehicles. A friend fitted one to a Chrysler Voyager to carry his KTM Duke on. It seems that they are approved for up to 250kg when fitted to the Transporter, which is enough for my Honda Bros. Such a rack would also be very useful for carrying other stuff such as bicycles or camping gear. They are TUV approved, so are suitably certified.

Has anyone had experience of them in UK?

Reimo - Cate-Adapter VW T5/ VW T6 mit Anhängerkupplung

Reimo - Cate adapter VW T5

Been keen on this too for the same reasons. I've seen other motorcycle racks available produced by small engineering firms but they dont have the 250kg that this one has. Also wondering if the brackets that hold the platform in place can be fitted if you also have a towbar fitted.

Also wondering if the brackets that hold the platform in place can be fitted if you also have a towbar fitted.

Does a towbar mount on the chassis legs?
Hmm, might be an issue if so as this seems to have triangular brackets that must be mounted to the rear chassis legs.

I lived in Germany for a while, and this rack was (is) available for a number of vehicles. A friend fitted one to a Chrysler Voyager to carry his KTM Duke on. It seems that they are approved for up to 250kg when fitted to the Transporter, which is enough for my Honda Bros. Such a rack would also be very useful for carrying other stuff such as bicycles or camping gear. They are TUV approved, so are suitably certified.

Has anyone had experience of them in UK?

Reimo - Cate-Adapter VW T5/ VW T6 mit Anhängerkupplung

Reimo - Cate adapter VW T5
Shaun,

Did you progress this any further?
Phil

Hi Yes ,
I have just bought one and used it this weekend for the first time. I had a towbar flange one before and it was very wobbly and was worried it might fail.
The reimo one is a 4 point fixing design so is very stable. It also fits with a tow bar too. I sandwiched the reimo mounting plates with the tow bar as they use the same fixing points. I used it to transport a classic scramble bike today but I think a 250 kg bike would be fine. The parts are expensive but I sourced the chequer plate and wheel channel elsewhere as it was much cheaper.

Forgot to mention Ukleisure had the best deal for the Cate as they seem to for most T6 /camper bits

Hi Yes ,
I have just bought one and used it this weekend for the first time. I had a towbar flange one before and it was very wobbly and was worried it might fail.
The reimo one is a 4 point fixing design so is very stable. It also fits with a tow bar too. I sandwiched the reimo mounting plates with the tow bar as they use the same fixing points. I used it to transport a classic scramble bike today but I think a 250 kg bike would be fine. The parts are expensive but I sourced the chequer plate and wheel channel elsewhere as it was much cheaper.
Forgot to mention Ukleisure had the best deal for the Cate as they seem to for most T6 /camper bits
Thanks Paul.
That’s great news! Also good to know that it is useable with a tow bar. Did you fit it yourself?

Blimey....I would like to see my 1200gsa on the back of my van. Presumably suspension needs beefing up, and I guess you can't tilt it back to open the tailgate

Hi @Paul Mc . Is it quite easy to attach and detach the platform from the brackets? Also are the brackets visible when the platforms removed? Thanks

Who has one fitted?:

https://www.reimo.com/en/46322-cate_rear_carrier_frame_800_mm/

https://www.reimo.com/en/46325-cate_adapter_vw_t5/

Is it easy enough to diy fit? Does it require two holes in the rear bumper? If so, how are these finished - is there a blanking plug for when the carrier is not fitted?.

How practical is it really for carrying a motobike? Is there not a risk of incurring damage to the tailgate under heavy braking? Is it easy enough to restrain the bike to avoid this risk?

How much does it interfere with the parking sensors?

I want one for my smaller motorbike (180kg), but I would probably also mount a ski box on it for trips to the Alps, and maybe bicycle carriers for MTB rides as well (not all at the same time I hasten to add).

All information gratefully received. Thank you.

Hi all pretty new on here but stumbled across this post. Does the CATE fix to the existing tow bar mounts ? Do you need to drill the chassis and how did you handle the electrics? Is there a T6 specific wiring kit that plugs into a socket on the van like some kits do? Wondered how you got on with the kit a couple of years on. Any chance of a photo when the platform is detached? I have seen couple of photos that look like you need to drill the bumper??? Any advice appreciated

Hi all pretty new on here but stumbled across this post. Does the CATE fix to the existing tow bar mounts ? Do you need to drill the chassis and how did you handle the electrics? Is there a T6 specific wiring kit that plugs into a socket on the van like some kits do? Wondered how you got on with the kit a couple of years on. Any chance of a photo when the platform is detached? I have seen couple of photos that look like you need to drill the bumper??? Any advice appreciated

HI I use my Cate alot and it is very strong
I have mine fitted with a tow bar by sandwiching the cate brackets with the tow bar. I then use the tow bar electrics Connect the cate lights. No doubt it could carry a 200 kg weight although my classic scrambler is less than 100 kgs. Yes you have to drill two 40mm holes in the bumper for the horizontal mounts but I made a couple of plastic plugs to fit when removed.

Seems a great idea, a load carrier for the back of the van that can carry a motorbike (up to 250kg), leaving the inside free for other stuff (within the load limit of the vehicle, of course).

To begin with, I just ordered the larger carrier platform (800mm) and the relevant adaptor to mount it on my T6. Unfortunately, when it all arrived, and I read through the instructions I realised that I had somehow managed to order the adaptors to go with an existing tow bar, which I do not have. This was damned annoying as I have been researching the Cate Carrier for years, and was aware that there were different mounts for vans with tow bars already fitted. I could have got a refund, and then ordered the correct parts, but it turned out that they were out of stock with UK Leisure Parts (who I ordered from), so I checked elsewhere and found them in stock at two German suppliers. However, with postage and exchange rate included these were over £100 more than the ones I had already bought – and you can buy a tow bar for that…

So I ordered a Brinks tow bar from PF Jones, as well as the electrics, which I will need anyway.

The load carrier itself is a tubular frame that attaches to the (vehicle specific) mounts, with supporting bars underneath. There are videos (in German) showing how to attach it and load a motorbike on Youtube. It comes with a smart number plate/light bar arrangement for the rear, which connects to a standard 13 pin socket. However, that’s it. It does not come with any of the attachments needed to support a motorbike, or anything else. All these are extra, so it is an expensive undertaking. However, it does look suitable for fitting a roof bar mounting type cycle carrier (time will tell).

So, to the actual fitting:

My adaptors are to be mounted along with a tow bar, and it is the same disassembly required as for fitting a tow bar. Namely, remove the bumper, whatever is behind it (either a metal cross member or a plastic moulding on panel vans as mine), the spare wheel and the underside plastic trim and heat shield over the exhaust. Mine was somewhat more complicated in that I have an LPG tank in place of the spare wheel (yes, I have a TSI), which was held in place by four fabricated brackets and bolts. But I also had to disconnect the gas feed etc. to the engine. To be honest, the LPG tank is my biggest concern, as it is a heavy old thing and will be awkward to refit.

It was at this point that I started to wonder whether I really needed to have bought the tow bar. Initially I was worried that I would lose out on the rear protection provided by the metal cross member, but when I discovered that mine did not have a metal cross member, but instead just had a plastic moulding, I realised that I could probably have fitted the Cate Carrier adaptors directly without having to fit the tow bar first. Unfortunately I don’t know what is different about the Cate adaptors for no tow bar to be certain whether this is the case or not. Certainly, on my van I don’t see why not.

Anyway, the Cate adaptors are just thick metal plates that sandwich the tow bar fittings inside the rear chassis members. They have their own threaded holes that align with the existing holes in the chassis, and the tow bar mounts. However, as the tow bar plates have nuts welded to them, these need to be removed first. It was a bit more awkward aligning the bolts through the tow bar plates and into the Cate adaptors than it was for just the tow bar, but possible with a bit of perseverance.

So that is as far as I have got so far, but might be of interest to some. I’m not expecting to refit the bumper until next week, as I am allowing tomorrow to refit the LPG tank. At this moment, I’m not sure whether the bumper will need trimming for either the Cate Adaptor or the tow bar. I do know that it will require two holes drilling to eventually allow the Cate Carrier to be mounted.

DB7CC2D0-4DBB-4CC1-B908-119D15ABC1B9.jpeg
This is the Brinks tow bar (no ball) fitted loosely with the modified plastic moulding.

B65F0FF5-06C1-40DA-8753-B609CD63B51E.jpeg
The welded on nuts on the tow bar mounting plates had to be cut off.

AAD68777-2971-42ED-B84D-2BD051476FD7.jpeg
The bare metal was then primed with zinc primer, and painted with smoothrite.
9D15E2DB-27EC-4BF2-A89D-9F8A405907E9.jpeg
The tow bar refitted with the Cate adaptors.
FC55B2FC-1406-4EE5-B0BA-B3B1B8EFD131.jpeg
Both Cate adaptors fitted either side of the tow bar.

4C8B284E-FF35-4456-891C-1C6E6510FD9F.jpeg
The three mounting bolts (RH) from inside the spare wheel bay.

So here is the Cate Carrier fitted. It’s just the basic frame at the moment, with none of the attachments to carry anything though, of course, any load up to 250kg can be tied down on it.

6E8C0F3E-BFFA-43B5-A5F8-27838E3436E6.jpeg

0E83E306-538B-4DCE-A686-B11C4A9273A1.jpeg

90893F7B-78B3-452F-BD59-7B1FFEDE77E0.jpeg

I’m finally making progress on finishing the motorbike carrying capability of my Cate Carrier.
I bought a wheel channel for a trailer and have bolted that to the checker plate. This is my old Honda in place so I can figure out the best tie-down locations:
3102BB44-9BDC-4887-8B54-8EC491A665C6.jpeg
Yes, I need to get a better ramp!
9B7F458F-A664-43B7-AF27-9C43CB582FBD.jpeg
It doesn’t stick out far, less than the folded up mirrors.
C9F730FF-4DC8-4F01-9282-C87E6F52D1BB.jpeg
The wheel loop gets in the way when the carrier is folded up, but there is enough clearance with it removed and just the wheel channel In place.

1FA1251A-E604-4DE1-815E-5FD95AC699C1.jpeg
This is the bike tied down with 2 straps at the front to D rings bolted to the checker plate, and a tyre harness at the rear hooked onto a Flexirail. Other straps make it more secure, but will likely vary from bike to bike. The Flexirail makes it easy to choose the best lashing point.
711B3BC6-279D-4D38-BCEC-7E9E2BAEDAC9.jpeg
6339249E-BE98-4435-B369-65DD8DC6DF72.jpeg

Back