Best way to get 12v feed to towbar ?

lucky13

VIP Member
So i've got a T6 2019 Highline but it doesn't have any tow bar prep, What the easiest way to get 12V to the tow bar 7 pin electrics ?

I've got LED rear lights so I'm assuming there is no 12v feed to these but I do have a rear tailgate with heated rear screen and wiper...could I possibly tap into this ? If not does anyone have a good guide or link to just how I'm supposed to get 12 v all the way from the battery in the front to the rear of the van ...it sounds like a right nightmare!

Thanks

So i've got a T6 2019 Highline but it doesn't have any tow bar prep, What the easiest way to get 12V to the tow bar 7 pin electrics ?

I've got LED rear lights so I'm assuming there is no 12v feed to these but I do have a rear tailgate with heated rear screen and wiper...could I possibly tap into this ? If not does anyone have a good guide or link to just how I'm supposed to get 12 v all the way from the battery in the front to the rear of the van ...it sounds like a right nightmare!

Thanks
Do you already have a tow bar? Simple solution, buy a towbar wiring kit. The feed will come all the way from the battery.

Run it under the van....

I ran mine through the plastic under trays it was very easy to get from the battery to the tow bar

Agreed, but getting through the firewall and wiring into the loom under the steering wheel… those were not easy for me!

Agreed, but getting through the firewall and wiring into the loom under the steering wheel… those were not easy for me!
Yep, if you're struggling for a route for power on a 7pin connection I guess it's a bypass box being fitted so the far harder work of getting the can connection under the carpet and up to Bcm likely not needed.

Highline should have some form of permanent live under passenger seat for bypass though? Easy route through floor plug, through chassis rail and up into Jack storage area to mount the bypass.

Yep, if you're struggling for a route for power on a 7pin connection I guess it's a bypass box being fitted so the far harder work of getting the can connection under the carpet and up to Bcm likely not needed.

Highline should have some form of permanent live under passenger seat for bypass though? Easy route through floor plug, through chassis rail and up into Jack storage area to mount the bypass.
@jayc001 - would it be ok to wire it directly from backlights if these are not led? without going or the way back to the starter battery? thx

You should not wire directly from the rear lights without a bypass relay box. Putting additional load on BCM will likely cause issues.

A bypass box will require a single 10A power feed and this should be a permanent live so that lights still function with engine off.

You should not wire directly from the rear lights without a bypass relay box. Putting additional load on BCM will likely cause issues.

A bypass box will require a single 10A power feed and this should be a permanent live so that lights still function with engine off.
how about connecting to LB with bypass relay box, I have LB fuse box at the back of the van so could connect power feed from there and relay box with feeds from lamps? would that work?

Last edited:
Back