Microswitch in towbar electric socket

bu4komobil

VIP Member
Hi,I need to replace my electric socket on my tow bar,but in the old ne is some microswitch inside.Did someone have idea what is the purpose on that microswitch and where I can get one

Traditionally it was used to wire the foglight through, so the vehicle foglight turned off when a trailer was present so it didn't dazzle you in the rear view mirror.

More modern vehicles also change things like stability programmes, ABS etc if they know a trailer is present and also turn off things like rear parking sensors and radars.

Microswitches can still be used for this but more generally today it's done by detecting the completed circuit through a couple of the lights.

Is your towbar OEM or aftermarket? What type of van?

Traditionally it was used to wire the foglight through, so the vehicle foglight turned off when a trailer was present so it didn't dazzle you in the rear view mirror.

More modern vehicles also change things like stability programmes, ABS etc if they know a trailer is present and also turn off things like rear parking sensors and radars.

Microswitches can still be used for this but more generally today it's done by detecting the completed circuit through a couple of the lights.

Is your towbar OEM or aftermarket? What type of v

Hi,I can’t really answer the question because I bought it like that.It’s exRAC van so I presume it’s after market but it’s not 100%
The van is t6 panel van t32

The OEM approach is light detection in the T6.1 and I presume in the T6, but if you are exRAC it likely dates from their equipment fit out or a third party afterwards (if it wasn't you)

Best advice at the moment would be replace like for like but I would trace the wire route from the microswitch to check it's actually used in your install, it might just have been present as it was a universal socket that could be used either way.

Out of interest why do you need to replace it? If it's just that the microswitch itself has failed those are pretty standard units and you should be able to find a replacement on something like eBay if you have the measurements.

The OEM approach is light detection in the T6.1 and I presume in the T6, but if you are exRAC it likely dates from their equipment fit out or a third party afterwards (if it wasn't you)

Best advice at the moment would be replace like for like but I would trace the wire route from the microswitch to check it's actually used in your install, it might just have been present as it was a universal socket that could be used either way.

Out of interest why do you need to replace it? If it's just that the microswitch itself has failed those are pretty standard units and you should be able to find a replacement on something like eBay if you have the measurements.
Thanks for the reply.The reason to looking to replace it is the old one the plastic is cracked and the lid missing
Best Regards

Is it 7 pin or 13 pin?
When you have a trailer on do you get visual signals on the dash or just a buzzer from the rear?

Back