T6.1 SOS Error: emergency call. Workshop!

Van went in and came back out with the same fault. Apparently, I need a new SOS control module or something - on back order, waiting for an ETA......
I’ve had the same issue since December, 4 visits later still waiting. Had the same as you and after chasing they eventually changed the SOS module only then to be told my GPS aerial in the drivers door mirror needs to be replaced as they need that to connect to the sos module.
Went in Saturday just gone to get that done but on my return they hadn’t done it for some lame excuse. Currently waiting on a call from them to explain this and re-book in.

Looking at this logically I think the issue is the gps aerial that somehow has been damaged when they did the Bowden cable recall which involved removing the door cards Ect.

Steve I think many vw garages have not been issued instructions from Germany regarding these problems.
I took my van in when reduce oil light came on.
I was told its a sensor problem when I phoned VW.
Booked van in. I was told its not a sensor problem its a computer upgrade .
OK fine update done. Next day light came on again. That was a 90 mile round trip.
Took it to another VW garage fixed problem by oil change and upgrade.They knew exactly what to do.
Drove 10 miles Ad Blue warning came on. It was filled previous week.Took it back rebooted it. All OK.
Don't know what believe. Lost confidence and now waiting for next problem

Steve I think many vw garages have not been issued instructions from Germany regarding these problems.
I took my van in when reduce oil light came on.
I was told its a sensor problem when I phoned VW.
Booked van in. I was told its not a sensor problem its a computer upgrade .
OK fine update done. Next day light came on again. That was a 90 mile round trip.
Took it to another VW garage fixed problem by oil change and upgrade.They knew exactly what to do.
Drove 10 miles Ad Blue warning came on. It was filled previous week.Took it back rebooted it. All OK.
Don't know what believe. Lost confidence and now waiting for next problem
So the first dealer you took it to with the "reduce oil" light on was quite happy just to suck a bit out and let you go on your way with a mixture of oil and diesel in the sump. I'm sure if they were personally responsible for that engine it would have had a full oil change. Infuriating!

I’ve had the same issue since December, 4 visits later still waiting. Had the same as you and after chasing they eventually changed the SOS module only then to be told my GPS aerial in the drivers door mirror needs to be replaced as they need that to connect to the sos module.
Went in Saturday just gone to get that done but on my return they hadn’t done it for some lame excuse. Currently waiting on a call from them to explain this and re-book in.

Looking at this logically I think the issue is the gps aerial that somehow has been damaged when they did the Bowden cable recall which involved removing the door cards Ect.
Finally fixed today, replacement GPS aerial / module fitted. 17th December - 25th July must be a record to fix a fault? And probably the worst customer service I've encountered, safe to say I will not be using Parkway again.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Omg… mines just come on with this fault on holiday in Ireland.
van is March 2020, bowdens cables done which was a shit fight, apple play again shit fight… these vans are more maintenance than a woman!!

Omg… mines just come on with this fault on holiday in Ireland.
van is March 2020, bowdens cables done which was a shit fight, apple play again shit fight… these vans are more maintenance than a woman!!
It’s going to be painful, got my van May 2020.

Van went back in today, module swapped out, all working properly at the moment, hopefully this one will last.

Just had my cables recall done and also my SoS module replaced. One question do they have to take doors off for cables or is it a case of car removing inlay cards. I ask as after fitting the rubber fits like a golf seals I’ve noticed my drivers door is not fitting properly? Fine up top but not door handle down. Passenger door is totally fine.

95F2D8EB-63B0-4BCC-A24A-3E96D531AFC5.jpeg

2FFEF9F2-6B64-4479-94D6-69CFECAC2F8A.jpeg

9418458B-1B94-45F8-A292-7B8185869DA2.jpeg

Resolved l ow by removing the Transporter rubber seal! Left it on passenger side as fine. Can’t get over one is fine and other side isn’t.

88229B9F-511B-4AFD-8928-9A5A44DC9A64.jpeg

• Sad
This is an old post, but useful. Same error message came up on my 20 plate T6.1 while being in the south of France! and still 2 weeks of travel to go. Does anyone know what the fault could be? Is it a misleading error, or is there a way to pinpoint the fault the van thinks it has?

I've just parked it up after driving around in it all day, so will see if the error persist tomorrow.

BTW van has only done 20k miles and was fully serviced last month.

This is an old post, but useful. Same error message came up on my 20 plate T6.1 while being in the south of France! and still 2 weeks of travel to go. Does anyone know what the fault could be? Is it a misleading error, or is there a way to pinpoint the fault the van thinks it has?

I've just parked it up after driving around in it all day, so will see if the error persist tomorrow.

BTW van has only done 20k miles and was fully serviced last month.
Mostly harmless ;) very common, just irritating.

Sometimes if it autodials & doesn’t cancel straight away manually cancel the call with the button on the interior light pod.

Usually a software update by VW solves it.
Sometimes (less commonly) it requires a new SOS module.

Sometimes occurs when the vans eSIM can’t get a data signal in a poor reception area I’ve been told.

Mostly harmless ;) very common, just irritating.

Sometimes if it autodials & doesn’t cancel straight away manually cancel the call with the button on the interior light pod.

Usually a software update by VW solves it.
Sometimes (less commonly) it requires a new SOS module.

Sometimes occurs when the vans eSIM can’t get a data signal in a poor reception area I’ve been told.
Thanks. Not a lot I can do about it with me and the van 1000miles from home. Interesting point about signal. We was in the middle of nowhere when it started.

Any Idea how much a new sos module is? Warranty ran out 2 weeks ago! I do have the option to extend it though, for a cost of course.

Thanks. Not a lot I can do about it with me and the van 1000miles from home. Interesting point about signal. We was in the middle of nowhere when it started.

Any Idea how much a new sos module is? Warranty ran out 2 weeks ago! I do have the option to extend it though, for a cost of course.
No idea on SOS module price,other than it’s not likely cheap…

I doubt it’ll need one TBH if it’s been fine for nearly 3 yrs.
Most likely just needs the software updated.

Just keep a mental record of when/where it’s doing it & get VW to look at it when it suits you.
If you’re desperate call VW assist (ironically) :rofl:

No idea on SOS module price,other than it’s not likely cheap…

I doubt it’ll need one TBH if it’s been fine for nearly 3 yrs.
Most likely just needs the software updated.

Just keep a mental record of when/where it’s doing it & get VW to look at it when it suits you.
If you’re desperate call VW assist (ironically) :rofl:
Many thanks

Just joined the club.

Booked the van in, 23rs of January 24. Such a joke…

Last edited:
I joined this club after a few days of getting my 6.1, 69 plate (Feb 202 registered) and now the problem is getting worse.
Firstly it started with the error message. That would flick the call button to red and then a few seconds later it would go green again and the error went away.
Then, a few weeks later it came on and locked me out of the infotainment system alltogether.
Last week it started with teh error message more frequently and it seems to be seriously interfering with GPS on my phones - the phones satnav is all over the place even when not on carplay. I've tried multiple phones and that's confirmed it's not a problem with my phone.

How do I tell what version of the software I'm on (if I can without reading the OBD port)? and what version of the software is the new version?

I'm out of warranty which is a pain so any advice on how to approach dealers to help is appreciated!

I joined this club after a few days of getting my 6.1, 69 plate (Feb 202 registered) and now the problem is getting worse.
Firstly it started with the error message. That would flick the call button to red and then a few seconds later it would go green again and the error went away.
Then, a few weeks later it came on and locked me out of the infotainment system alltogether.
Last week it started with teh error message more frequently and it seems to be seriously interfering with GPS on my phones - the phones satnav is all over the place even when not on carplay. I've tried multiple phones and that's confirmed it's not a problem with my phone.

How do I tell what version of the software I'm on (if I can without reading the OBD port)? and what version of the software is the new version?

I'm out of warranty which is a pain so any advice on how to approach dealers to help is appreciated!
I’ve had a similar experience recently, with an extra twist!

Van was bought new (it’s a 6.1) and converted to a camper in early 21. No issues at all until the back end of last year when the SOS fault started to appear intermittently. Always resets when ignition restarted, and given the history on here, it didn’t bother me greatly.

Then on Boxing Day the media unit had a complete meltdown, and went blank completely. It eventually came back to life, but every button press was met with a 15-20 second delay before anything happened. This again seemed to reset on ignition off and on. On the return journey, when the SOS fault came on, the van stalled. Restarted ok fortunately, but not a great experience and fortunately no other vehicles near me. Drove home fine and van seems to run perfectly apart from this.

Not surprisingly was on the phone as soon as they opened after Xmas. Booked in for 2 weeks time and haven’t used it until today, and it’s stalled again when the SOS fault came on. Needless to say, I’m not using any more until it’s been to VW.

The only other thing I’ve noticed recently, is that the USB ports by the gearstick, where I connect the phone, also seem to be playing up - the connection drops out frequently, with phone then failing to charge or connect for apps.

All seems suspiciously connected to me.

Reading back there’s clearly a link between the media unit and SOS unit. The USB’s are obviously connected too. But the real concern is the stalling - that’s happened twice now. Anyone know why that would be connected, as it’s only ever happened when the SOS fault comes on.

I think you have got 3 different issues not connected directly. One is the SOS module, which need replaced. Mine has just been replaced.
Second issue is the infotainment. My unit has been replaced as well. 3rd Issue is the engine stalling: did you notice anything weird? Is your oil temperature steady on the screen? I am asking because I had stalling issues and they were related to oil sensor which was faulty and triggered EPC and ESP lights, hence the edit was cutting power.

It sounds to me more like the SOS fault for you is a symptom of something else going on in the electronics rather than a fault in the SOS system.

Do you have a fault code reader and are there any logged?

I wouldn't put too much weight on connectivity issues between phone and head unit, they are very sensitive to upgrades in the phone OS and USB C is a complex collection of protocols.

Back