T6.1 SOS Error: emergency call. Workshop!

Also ask them about the Bowden cable recall too. Drivers door handle used to freeze...now sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update - my van finally went in on Wednesday. New SOS module and update. No issues so far, though to be fair it was always intermittent so we'll see if it's finally fixed. All done under warranty, and they'd booked in the Bowden cable recall without me even asking about it. Have to give a shoutout to Beeston Van Centre. If anyone's in the Nottingham area, they've been really great.

If you type into Google, "vw display sos error emergency: call workshop" you'll see that you are not alone!
Mine had a blown 20 amp fuse in the fuse box to the right of the stearing wheel ( right hand drive). Not sure why it blew but replaced and seems ok since

Jumping in here,

Have a T6.1 onsite with the same issue. We have however stripped out the front interior and re assembled so have been trying to get to the bottom of it. Can still make emergency calls as we have tested this.

We have looked at the fualt codes and there is a fault to do with a Back up battery for the SOS system stating that it is at the end of its life, anybody no where this is located?

Currently sitting in Sheffield Van centre while they look at it…
I came to collect it after they did the Bowden cable recall and when I put they key in I got the SOS warning…. joy!

Jumping in here,

Have a T6.1 onsite with the same issue. We have however stripped out the front interior and re assembled so have been trying to get to the bottom of it. Can still make emergency calls as we have tested this.

We have looked at the fualt codes and there is a fault to do with a Back up battery for the SOS system stating that it is at the end of its life, anybody no where this is located?
Its part of the J949 SOS control unit, located behind the instrument panel.

Currently sitting in Sheffield Van centre while they look at it…
I came to collect it after they did the Bowden cable recall and when I put they key in I got the SOS warning…. joy!
I had the same issue with mine last Friday at Parkway Leicester after Bowden cable recall, van is a May 2020 and this was the first time the fault had shown.

I had the same issue with mine last Friday at Parkway Leicester after Bowden cable recall, van is a May 2020 and this was the first time the fault had shown.
Mine is an April 21 same deal, never seen it before they touched it!

There’s 6.1 vans with this issue, left right and centre. Bowden cable campaign wouldn’t affect anything to do with sos unit.

Hi @Joshvwt6.1 you might want to give the solution suggested by @Booicore a try first, it worked for me although probably not a permanent fix. It’s in the thread “Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect” (sorry don’t know how to link between threads)

Got the issue too. Been intermittent now for a few months. The Discovery Media often cuts out too and becomes dormant

I've had an intermittent SOS fault, last week the van went in for service, and Bowden cable recall, apparently "new software" was also loaded to fix the SOS issue. Now have the SOS fault every time I start the Van. Booked back in on the 8th of July for investigation.

Its a disgrace that these software problems ie. Overfilled oil light. sos error, bowden cables etc are creating a insecurity in driving these vexpensive vehicles. VW don't seem to care or intact know these problems until they have occurred.
Californias are 60k and they have the same crap worries.
Always visit workshop!! Why should we? So much irrelevant information on them. Keep in simple VW. TOO MANY GADGETS.

I've had an intermittent SOS fault, last week the van went in for service, and Bowden cable recall, apparently "new software" was also loaded to fix the SOS issue. Now have the SOS fault every time I start the Van. Booked back in on the 8th of July for investigation.
Van went in and came back out with the same fault. Apparently, I need a new SOS control module or something - on back order, waiting for an ETA......

Back