T6.1 Seat airbag - diff connector and wire colours

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
OK so i bought a 6.1 with double passenger seat, knowing i could swop in my T6 single passenger seat, but in their wisdom VW have slightly changed the airbag plug and wire colour....
so they are now White, green and brown, where before they were black, blue and brown.
so i could take a punt with center wire the same and keep brown to brown BUT that would be just assumption!

There will be someone on here who knows what colour goes to what :)

OK, well thanks for the diagrams, but not really been that skilled in reading these diagrams, they both looked to have the same colour wire to me, could you just tell me what colours continue through :)

in their wisdom VW have slightly changed the airbag plug and wire colour....
Just wondering if that has been done to prevent mixing different kind of igniters accidentally :unsure:

The wiring diagrams a kind of suggest that the igniters might expect different kind of impulses. T6 wiring diagram represents the igniter is receiving a ground referenced signal. Meanwhile for T6.1 there are marked signals SIG- SIG+, without ground on signal path. However, the wiring diagrams do not necessarily fully describe internals of components.

Also part numbers for both the airbag controller and the airbags themselves are different on T6 (7E0.../7E0...) and T6.1 (2Q0.../7LA...).

T6:1637397502686.png
However, interestingly in the T6 the wiring colours from the controller all the way to the connector T3r under seat match with the expectations. Anyways, being a safety system I would expect that airbag controller might manifest it's discontent with mismatching component - although at least on T6 controller's self-diagnostics can be fooled by a simple resistor in place of igniter.

T6.1:1637396914072.png

i do also have the curtain airbags so the seat airbag could be forgone. i did the resistor thing on the T6 when i swopped in a seat with no airbag.

The best/first/only guess would be to follow T6 wiring :rolleyes:, which transfer on connector white-black, green-blue, brown-brown - retaining also pin order unchanged.
If i go the resistor way to fool the airbag would it be a 2.2 Ohm ish and which 2 wires am i bridging?

Reactions: mmi
1 (white) - 2 (green)

Many thanks to the contributors to this thread. I didn't see the OP post an update so after having used the knowledge I thought I would update it.

Same issue for me. Took advice on here which fitted with my logic, in that if I followed the wires across using brown as my constant then middle pin to middle pin etc it was as follows:

Brown = Brown
Green = Blue
White = Black

Some soldering and heatshrink then some loom wrap stuff and voila you'd hardly notice. Rest the airbag light (as I had turned ignition on) and no issues since yesterday morning.

IMG_8545 (1).jpg

Back